“Delicious Indian Food in a Cozy Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Punjab

Punjab
80 Neal Street, Covent Garden, London WC2H 9PA, England (Covent Garden)
020 7836 9787
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Boston, MA
“Delicious Indian Food in a Cozy Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My husband and I were looking forward to having lots of Indian food options while in London. We found Punjab and ending up eating here twice since we enjoyed it so much our first night in the city. The naan is great and so are the veggie meals - I ordered malai kofta and paneer makhani. My husband loved his chicken tikka and chicken korma dishes. The location is easy to find and the cozy interior of the restaurant was welcoming - as was the service.

We will be back on our next visit to London!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Polish first
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Consistently good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Been here a few times over the years and always had a great meal. Really good curry and breads. Tends to be pretty busy so best to book, although they have quite a lot of tables and the longest I've had to wait when just turning up mid evening is 30 minutes.

Have organised a couple of meals here for 20ish people in group bookings, and that also went very well. No problems and no menu restrictions. Everyone enjoyed their meals!

Been here a very long time, and still going strong.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brooklyn, New York
“Meh...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I really dont understand the hype/reviews for this restaurant. I should've ordered one of their famed curries? We went on a rainy Sunday when the restaurant was near empty, save for a large private party happening in semi-private room at the back of the restaurant. The food did not have nearly any of the complex flavors we were anticipating. Service was also unbelievably inconsistent and slow. Overall, we felt this restaurant was no different than what we could get in a neighborhood Indian restaurant in our native New York City. The food was average and quite forgettable. The restaurant itself was outdated. I also had the pleasure of watching dripping water from the ceiling into a silver bucket.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Amrit m, Owner at Punjab, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Big Red
Thank you for your feedback. I am so sorry that your experience in terms of food and service was not up to your expectation. I would disagree with your comments regarding the hype, as we have always been busy and popular since 1946. We actually have had a very low profile and kept under the radar for many years.

I do not know what you ordered but our traditional Punjabi dishes are spicy, savoury and tasty. Our is food is simple and rustic which reflects the geographic nature of the Punjab. Our spices gently promote the flavour and texture of the ingredients.

I do not know what time you had lunch at the Punjab but between 3pm to 5pm is our very quiet period, however on this particular Sunday our team were very busy with an annual army luncheon and therefore I presume service suffered.

Yes our restaurant is traditional, old and established. We feature an electic Punjabi atmosphere with historical pictures. Some people love our look and others don't.

In terms of the dripping water, we had a serious and heavy rain downpour and a leak started. So I am very sorry . Our building is old, very old, and I don't mean 40 or 50 years old, its actually built in 1680 ! Its a listed building.

Please do come back and check us out again. I would be happy to give you advice & guidance on the menu. So I look forward to welcome you again in the near future, this time with no rain in London, fingers crossed !

KInd Regards

A Maan MD Punjab
La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland
“Best Indian food tried so far”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

It was my 4th stay in London and my 6th time at the Punjab: everytime a great experience! the staff is very welcoming and the atmosphere very authentic. We got a place at the window, which enables us to watch the tourists and londoners passing by in this nice and typical londonian neighbourhood. But the most important part: every dish is absolutely succulent! and their naan, totally irresistible! To be tried once in a life time!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“Great Food and Service but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We wanted to try this restaurant as it advertised to be the oldest and 1st Punjab restaurant in London. We found that London's food choice is a bit limited. We did not have reservations but although they were very busy the service was excellent and we were seated within 30 minutes. We placed our order and food came very quickly. My husband enjoys very spicy while my stomach cannot handle it. The waiter tried to accommodate both of us. We enjoyed our meals, but it did not sit well with my husband, perhaps it was too rich in cream...not sure. Overall our experience was good and the food was also good. We did find the tables a bit too crowded for our comfort.

• Visited August 2013