“Bring back the mirrors!” 1 of 5 stars

02075868569
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Odette's Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #742 of 17,052 Restaurants in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Large groups, Doing business, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Nearest Tube Station is Chalk Farm
Description: Odette's Restaurant & Bar is one of London's original dining rooms having opened in 1978, and it is still an acclaimed restaurant now owned by Welsh chef Bryn Williams, set amongst a parade of mid-Victorian shops and cafes in beautiful Primrose Hill. Bryn's modern British menu is an innovative marriage of textures and flavours that reflect his personality and heritage: dishes are created using the finest produce sourced from his native Wales and the rest of the UK. Lunch and dinner is served six days a week (Tuesday to Sunday)in the Odette's split level dining room, walled garden and terraced seating area.
London, United Kingdom
“Bring back the mirrors!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I liked this place in the 80's and 90's, when every wall was covered in mirrors and not the 'burlesque house' wallpaper that you can find in just about any low grade establishment in the North of England. Yes, please bring back the olde Odettes charm to the restaurant and I will be happy! It always is a shame when these characterful places are turned into something else, trying to be 'modern' etc. Also, I would suggest a proper selection for vegetarians. I seldom ate there, yet felt that the mirrored, very French ambiance added a certain character to the street that is no longer there. That was back in the good days, before most can remember, the early 90's , when Lemonia was a working mans pub, the pet grooming shop was a butchers, when Shepherd's was an abandoned citroen dealership, the silly coffee shop was a launderette and when there were around 4 bog standard corner shops along the road rather than the picture postcard village shops that seem to have taken over. Oh, yes, and when Bibendum's still had soul, a veritable wine warehouse, rather than a stuffy starkly lit corporate hell hole! And when the silly little 'tea cosy' was in fact a greengrocers called Kirby's and when Yeomans was a proper greengrocer rather than a juice bar.
Yes those were the good days for Primrose Hill. I do not like Odettes any more. Thank you

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Excellent London Eatery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Went for my husband's 40th birthday. The food and service were excellent. Lovely atmosphere and nice downstairs bar for pre dinner drink. Nicer than a lot of west end restaurants we have been to.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hampton Hill, United Kingdom
“High Quality, Innovative, Delicious.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have been dining at Odette's for the past five years, mostly business lunches but some dinners as well and this restaurant has never disappointed. Bryn is as passionate about his food today as when he first began and the quality of the ingredients and the technique/innovation shines through on every menu. The set lunch has to be one of the bargains of London, front of house is charming and professional, the bijou shops of Primrose Hill are dangerously close ..... don't take your wife!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Very Different This Time Round.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I visited Odettes for a second time on our 39th wedding anniversary, Saturday 8th December. We found it very different to our last visit around 18months ago. Obviously the menu was different, this visit being in winter while our previous visit had been in spring but it wasn't just the food. The service was better, more polished than last time. Our server , a young woman, was really very, very good. There were certainly more people, no empty tables and new diners being seated after 9pm, really busy. It was also noticable that the diners (although mainly young) did cross generations. We are in our sixties, there were certainly people a lot older than us dining but also lots of people as young or younger than our children.
I started with a beetroot and smoked eel salad while my wife had a butternut soup, both were very good (I love smoked eel) and my wife loved the bread served with the soup (a savoury brioche I think). I had a main of pheasant with a root veg gratin and black cabbage, my wife had a roast venison and sausage with pickled red cabbage and quince. I enjoyed my main very much, it looked good on the plate, was robust enough for a winters evening and the gratin and black cabbage were perfect with the pheasant. My wife loved the sausage, the red cabbage and quince. Her venison was beautifully moist. I finished with the cheese while my wife had a pistachio cake again both very good.
We had a G&T each while looking at the menu, a bottle of reasonable Bordeaux with our meal and my wife had a couple of Baileys while I had a port and a brandy with dessert and the bill.
We were pleasantly surprised when the bill was £166.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Odette's at Benares”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Sounds odd I know! But we had a perfectly delicious evening, with Benares exquisite specials on the night wonderfully complimenting the equally brilliant tasting menu delights from Odette’s Bryn Williams as guest chef – a great concept that one ‘hapless’ reviewer from another review site just didn’t quite get! and surely another of the brilliant and varied things about dining in London. The Benares staff were calmly efficient and all genuinely friendly but special compliments to Giovanni, the bar manager, who has to offer some of the best cocktails we’ve ever had in a restaurant bar (including the best ever whiskey sour from the Odette's menu). We’ll even go again just for their bar menu. Stunning evening all round......and Odette’s, already a favourite, very soon!

• Visited November 2012