“Supreme in the fish and chip world” 5 of 5 stars
Review of North Sea Fish Restaurant

North Sea Fish Restaurant
7-8 Leigh Street, London WC 1H 9EW, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)
(020)-7387-5892
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #738 of 18,011 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Bloomsbury / Holborn
BRASILIA
“Supreme in the fish and chip world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I lunched again at an old favorite of mine, the North Sea fish Restaurant, a few weeks ago. It is a particularly good place to lunch or dine at if you are near Saint Pancras train station or the University. Easy access on foot from Russell Square also.The standard of this place after the 20 years I have been going there has not fallen. It gets quite full at lunchtimes so try and arrive before 12.30 or after 2pm (closes at 2.30). Mix of locals and visitors. Most popular kinds of fish available, but giant North Sea cod in batter with chunky British "chips" is a staple, with mushy peas and (maybe) a pickled onion for the real aficionados. Informal café atmosphere, nice waitress from Latvia. Meal with a beer comes out at about 16GBP.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Virginia
“Best fish and chips in London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I go to this restaurant every time I am in London. They have the best fish and chips. I always get cod as it has more flavor than others. Be careful when you are ordering as large size is truly large. You must be really hungry to finish it. They feature a decent selection of beers and they do have Czech Budweiser not the American one. Eating fish and chips with Czech Bud (or a glass of white wine) is the best meal in London.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mississauga
“Great Neighbourhood Eatery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Sad to read some other reviews which didn't experience such great food and speedy (albeit not the most warmth we have experienced from servers and restaurant staff in the area and London) service in an obviously popular restaurant.
The halibut was a thick and generous portion lightly battered in the delicious golden crust with which we have now been spoiled through our stay in London. The fries were done perfectly although I always ask for a "double fry" so they are extra crisp and caramel brown and the tartar sauce was thick and creamy and I had to hold myself back from not drowning my fish in it.
We were here twice in our stay and have to admit that the take-away side serves the same quality of food for half the price of the eat-in restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
West Byfleet, United Kingdom
“For consistency & quality - Unbeatable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Prior to going to the restaurant my 2 friends and I made a "pit stop" at the pub "The Lord Russell" (in Marchmont Street, literally round the corner from the restaurant), to sample their excellent selection of ales.
We then proceeded to the restaurant, which I was visiting for the umpteenth time, but which my chums had never visited before.
We received the usual friendly greeting and quickly ordered 2 bottles from their wine list.
The food was of its usual high standard but particular mention should be made of the grilled plaice fillet, the scotch scampi and the totally historic middle skate.
We all agreed that it was a good thing that this restaurant was not within easy reach as we would be joining the obese community in double quick time!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mystic, Connecticut
“Very disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

You could only get fried food unless you ordered the larger portion. The fish was so-so. The chips overcooked. We ordered salad and got an overflowing bowl of lettuce and a few veggies. Our food came less than a minute later. Too rushed. I would not recommend.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere