“Lovely inexpensive dishes” 4 of 5 stars

(020)-7482-5065
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mango Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5,940 of 17,931 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Families with children, Romance
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Woking, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely inexpensive dishes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a spacious but intimate Caribbean restaurant which also serves a few European dishes too. It's not plush but has an up-market feel.The menu is not extensive but there are some very tasty well presented West Indian meals available. We popped in for lunch and I had Caribbean goat curry and plantain - fantastic! 4 people, a main each and a bottle of wine for about £15 per head. You can't do much better than that! I'd go back there when next in the arae - Camden markets are a "must see" place if you are sight seeing in London.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Lisboa
“Good Food, Average Service, Needs Revamping”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The food was good - good avocado salad, very tender and well seasoned entrecôte steak and very well grilled tuna. The portions are good and left no space for desert.

As for the cocktails - not good and took too long.

As for the service - just average.

The restaurant itself needs a makeover or revamping - although with a caribbean decor (as it should!) it needs a facelift since it is just worn out.

Visited April 2013
“Ants in drinks”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

I have attended this restaurant many times over the years however last night was my last and final visit.

We noticed little ants running across our table and they were also in our water. The manager and waitress didn't seem to care much they explained that the window wasn't sealed up so ants could get in... as if that was a justification.

They provided us with an additional glass of tap water as if that solved the problem. At that point we really didn't want to finish the food or our cocktails given that they probably had ants in them that we wouldent be able to see. In addition our table cloth had squashed ants all over it... we had no choice but to squash them.

After all of this we were still charged for all of the food and drink in addition to the service charge they applied to the bill.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Belfast
“Wonderful food, service a bit lacking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

As we were in London where you can eat pretty much any type of cuisine, we thought we'd try something we couldn't get back home in Belfast. I'd fancied trying curried goat for a while so decided upon the Mango Room.

The restaurant has a nice ambience and a handy location right near Camden tube station. We were shown to our table by an unsmiling waitress who didn't offer us drinks until she was taking our food order, some time later. Then the drinks didn't arrive until the food was ready which I've never experienced before - it was a bit strange. Also, trying to keep to a low-ish budget, I ordered the £14.50 bottle of wine and was told they didn't have it and had to pay £21 for the next nearest version. I'm dubious as to whether this was true and even so, good service would demand you should be offered an alternative at the same price.

Anyway, onto the food. I ordered sweet potato and plantain fritters which were tasty and my partner ordered ackee and saltfish. This was nicely presented and very pleasant to eat.
For main, I ordered the aforementioned curried goat which was delicious - the meat fell apart and it was very flavoursome. My partner ordered jerk chicken which was disappointingly lacking in spice but tender enough. The side of rice and peas we shared was yummy.

We paid up, including the totally undeserved 12.5% service charge which seems to be the norm in London these days but is an utter cheek. As we were leaving we were studiously ignored by the same waitress who didn't see fit to thank us for our custom or wish us goodbye. At least she was consistent I suppose!

The food was good enough that we would make a repeat visit but perhaps if the restaurant allowed customers to make their own decision on what service is worth, the staff might make a bit more of an effort.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Montecatini Terme, Italy
“A really creative menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I had the chance to dine at Mango Room on a week day in March 2013, and it was a very nice experience. The restaurant, located just in front of the tube station Camden Station, is pretty tiny but the atmosphere is good but not snobbish (you can go with kids as well), the service is good but the best part is the menu, full of caribbean style courses.
I especially liked the curry coconut sauce that came with my salmon. The choice is not very large, but quality is good, and prices are reasonable.

Visited March 2013