“Dinner for Two” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maggie Jones's

Maggie Jones's
6 Old Court Place | Kensington Church Street, London, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )
(0)207 937 6462
Neighborhood: Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate
London, United Kingdom
“Dinner for Two”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with my first visit to Maggie Jones. I'd been promised a romantic dinner for two and I wasn't disappointed.
We were seated downstairs in a small booth for two. It's unusual these days to find a place which feels cosy, charming and slightly decadent. So many restaurants have the same 'trendy' open feel to them where diners sit in brightly lit open spaces crammed in at small tables in an atmosphere which is busy and noisy.
The food we chose was plentiful and well cooked. I had the lamb which was cooked beautifully and delicious. The staff were attentive but not over the top. I liked the fact that they were casually dressed too. This seems to fit in with the ambience of the place.
All in all a lovely evening and one which I would happily repeat.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Peter F, Owner at Maggie Jones's, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
I understand this reviewer's concern and it is something that I have agonise about in the past. Our usual lunch-time prices are heavily discounted (without any changes to the dishes) from those charged on our evening a la carte menu and therefore represent extrordinary value; so much so that our lunches have not infrequerntly been described as "the best value in town".. By doing this we create a busy lunctime trade with very little profit. During the month of December we receive a large number of lunch-time party bookings, many from people who are not regular customers and there is great pressure on the restaurant. We have tried different ways of dealing with this and have concluded that a set lunch, based on our usual evening prices, is the fairest way of doing it. I do not regard this as profiteering but merely doing what every well run business will do i.e maximise profit potential. I realise that this does disappoint some of our regular customers and to them I apolgise if they are inconvenienced.

London, United Kingdom
“A December rip off.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

To be clear, I am not reviewing Maggie Jones's as it is most of the year round; in fact I think it's a lovely little restaurant, and on every previous occasion I've been there I've been perfectly happy with the fairly basic yet decently priced menu, and I do still enjoy its pretty, rustic interior, with dried flowers in baskets hanging from the ceiling; its hefty wooden tables and its generous portions of food that aren't anything that you'd call haute cuisine, but which do really hit the spot on a cold day.

No, I'm reviewing its December lunchtime menu. This includes many of the standard £5 starters and many of the standard £8 mains. These are starters and mains that I've enjoyed on previous occasions. Except in December these are now on a £30 set lunch menu. For your extra £17 you get a pudding. In my case this was a single piece of stilton that was obviously shop bought, and only recently got out of the fridge. The waiter, realising that something was lacking from this dish, ran upstairs, and eventually came back with a box of Carr's water biscuits, from which he grabbed 6 or so, and put them on my plate.

Five days ago, this would have been a pretty shoddy attempt at a post-dinner cheese course, with matchingly shoddy service. Although, at least, five days ago, according to the lunch menu that's still on the website, the exact same meal I had today would have cost £16. And it would have been ok. The standard today was no lower than it would have been five days ago; and that would mean a decent lunch. But they're taking the piss suddenly upping this to £30 for something you could very easily knock up at home.

There is an additional service charge. I can only hope that everyone who dines there this month is doing so on the basis that (a) they're hungry, (b) not terribly discerning, and (c) above all, not paying.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Peter F, Owner at Maggie Jones's, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
I believe that I may have posted the response to this review to the one above. Apologies
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not for vegetarians”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

To be positive this is a small, rustic-style restaurant with a pleasant ambience and very friendly and attentive staff. Our meat eating friends seemed perfectly satisfied. As vegetarians we were disappointed. The options were very limited and unimaginative, and in my view overpriced. The root vegetable pot pie was well presented and had a lovely crust, but the content was bland. Why can chefs make lovely rich gravy for meat and watery tasteless gravy for vegetables?

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Peter F, Owner at Maggie Jones's, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
We do not claim to be a vegetarian restaurant although in my view we do cater for non-meat-eating customers. Excellent soups, a choice of two hot tarts and interesting salads all sutable dishes for these customers.
London
“Over cooked vegetables”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

First time and last time. It looks like a sweet place from outside but once entered you can smell of cooking and looks like dusty place. Food is for the price OK nothing special. I suppose if you want to have an affair you wont be seen in this restaurant as they have this little booths. The Grilled Salmon was dry ( it is a steak), the chicken with taragon sauce was OK.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, England, United Kingdom
“Easily my favourite restaurant in London!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I will start by saying that this restaurant may not be to every ones taste. It is not ultra trendy, sexy or modern as is the norm in this area. However, I find it to be charming, romantic and eclectic. When you step into Maggie Jones you literally go back in time. Rustic wooden tables and chairs, dusty alcoves, and mismatching lighting complete with a candle in a bottle all adds to the charm. The food is no frills, good ole' english grub complete with game. It is an absolute delight and a wonderful change to the pretentious settings that knightsbridge typically has to offer. Food is absolutely delicious with healthy sized portions too! Very affordable, and top notch customer service. This has been my little secret for years since my boyfriend and I first met here for lunch 5 years ago. Highly recommended!

• Visited August 2013