“Fine Dining This Certainly Was” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 17,944 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: The first UK restaurant to be awarded one, two, and then three Michelin stars, Le Gavroche remains a class apart. Since opening in 1967, this Mayfair bastion of French cuisine has been very much a family affair, and chef-patron Michel Roux Jr continues the tradition today. The elegance of the menu and the ambience is impeccably tailored, while the discreet service has won its own plaudits.
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Fine Dining This Certainly Was”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Went to Le Gavroche for our 30th Wedding Anniversary. Three of us had the menu exceptional with wine which was truly divine, and my wife had the Turbet. Everything, the food, the staff, the atmosphere were all truly wonderful. The table ornaments made from knives and forks were very cleverly made and fascinating. Michelle came around twice and signed our menu. Not cheap (£180 a head) but a truly memorable experience. Would love to go again, but I'll save up first.

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Amazing!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My mother and I had lunch yesterday and have to say that it was an absolutely wonderful experience. Second time here and this time was enhanced by meeting Michel Roux who chatted to us and posed for a photo with my Mother, which really made her day - every bit as nice a guy as he seems on TV. Would recommend this place highly for a classy and classic dining experience. Service is wonderful, staff friendly and highly attentive and, of course, the food is outstanding. However, not cheap from the A La Carte menu but you get what you pay for and still worth it. A must try for all foodies.

Eastbourne
“Le Gavroche, London.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Enjoyed a wonderful lunch for my 60 th birthday with my husband. The service was excellent all the staff were attentive without being intrusive, the food was divine and wine lovely. Very good value we thought for a special occasion. Highlight was meeting Michele Roux himself who chatted to us and signed my menu. This is the second time we have eaten at Le Gavroche for a special event and hopefully not the last !

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Probaly my best dining experience so far”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I ate at Le Gavroche for the first time last Friday, and I have to say it was a sublime experience. I am a bit of a foodie and have eaten in some very nice restaurants in my time this was on my wish list so eventually with much anticipation we went.
Compared with most restaurants today it is in a bit of a time warp, its luxurious décor, plethora of very attentive staff isn’t what we have come to expect of the minimalist establishments so popular today but it was a nice change and felt very decadent. The service was perfection down to the smallest detail, simple things like both salted and unsalted butter with the bread. I loved that Monsieur Roux is confident enough in his abilities as a chef and not quite as arrogant as some of the younger generation of his trade to allow both salt and pepper on the table and let his customers decide if they want more seasoning on their food, we didn’t need it I have to say but could have if we’d chosen to (pet peeve, can you tell?). Although there was a lot of staff it didn’t feel intrusive or over fussy, they were well informed, engaging and seemed to genuinely care that you had a good time.
The food isn’t that well-worn “Modern British” style so prevalent nowadays either .This was good old fashioned, rich, flavoursome, perfectly executed classical French cuisine at its best, not a hint of foam, dust or spherification to be seen anywhere .
To start we both had Lobster Mousse with Aquitaine Caviar and Champagne Butter Sauce which left me speechless it was so good. Soft creamy mouse tasting abundantly of lobster, butter and champagne perfectly balanced, with the added delight of lobster meat and caviar in the centre as well as dressing the plate.
My Niece who was my dinner guest followed that with the Veal Rossini which seemed to be a lighter but paradoxically richer version of Tournedos Rossini, topped with Foie Gras and shaved truffles instead of pate, mushroom duxelle and a crouton which is the way I’ve always eaten it and was accompanied by the most intense Madeira sauce I’ve ever tasted, just superb.
I had a second starter for my main as is my usual way, Listed as Foie Gras and Confit Carrot Layers, Ice Wine Vinegar Jelly, Pomegranate and Radish, It was a Foie Gras parfait with pomegranate dressing and seeds, carrot ribbons and small pieces of ginger bread which was like a little chewy sweet, gently spiced with a perfect balance of sweet sour and savoury, the whole thing too delicious for words…… apart from the radish but I don’t like them in any shape or form not even in 2 star establishments ( well I have to find something negative to say about the experience or you’ll just think I’m making it up).
I was full by this point but my Niece went for dessert, the poached pears in filo pastry, vanilla ice cream and salted caramel and pronounced it “awesome”
This is not somewhere you would want to eat every day or for most people a place you could afford to eat everyday but for a treat or special occasion it’s a must at least once in your life, it certainly exceeded my expectations, I can’t wait to go again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Swansea
“REPUTATION GOES BEFORE IT”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

There is not much point reviewing the food at this establishment as its reputation goes before it! Of course it is good and you have to book 3 months in advance to get in! Service is impeccable - they just about do everything for you bar eat your meal! It is a little pretentious and old fashioned.. things like giving the male the menu with the prices on it and the female one without - plus I took my jacket off simply to roll up my sleeves and was asked very quickly to put my jacket on - a bit over the top I thought! It is expensive - a little unrealistic I think with starters and deserts in the £25/£30 range and mains £50/£60 but then its not the sort of place you eat at every day.
A worthwhile experience definitely!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere