“An unforgettable experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 17,931 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: The first UK restaurant to be awarded one, two, and then three Michelin stars, Le Gavroche remains a class apart. Since opening in 1967, this Mayfair bastion of French cuisine has been very much a family affair, and chef-patron Michel Roux Jr continues the tradition today. The elegance of the menu and the ambience is impeccably tailored, while the discreet service has won its own plaudits.
London
“An unforgettable experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had no idea where we were going. Just turned 60 and on a blind date. The date in this case was no person, but as it turned out a dream fulfilled.
I love cooking and eating good food ever since I can remember and for a good part of that time had always been interested in news from 'Le Gavroche'. That little corner of Upper Brook Street once the height of cuisine excellence under the patronage of Albert Roux and now being cared for by his son Michel.
Imagine how wide my smile when the taxi stopped outside this regency red brick building.
I have a admission to make, dear reader, the reason I'm writing this is mostly selfish. I'm striking this keyboard in an effort to pinch myself in reflection. There are many things that could be said about the Menu Exceptionnel - eight courses of perfection; but as words can at times be inadequate, the one bit of advice I venture is for two people to eat this selection of delectables at the same time. For only then, as with sublime music, can you communicate your experience to another. You know what the other is feeling. The closest I can get to it is the sense of being loved and in love.
As you can imagine the service was friendly, timely and impeccable.
It must be very difficult to assume the mantle of such a genius chef as Michel's father, Albert, but he's done it with such love, respect and a style all his own, he truly does stand on the giant shoulders of his father and has become his own genius.
So that was a blind date in a class all of its own.

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Absolute Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I visited the restaurant last Friday evening. This was our first visit and what an experience. It was our anniversary and we had decided to visit London for the weekend booking a table 3 months in advance. Although a top class establishment all the staff are very down to earth but very courteous and professional. We were well looked after by all the staff and the food was sublime, different class and worth every penny! The highlight was meeting Michel Roux Jnr. in person. What a professional,as in between kitchen duties he spent time chatting at each table. Pure class! He runs a very well oiled machine! Thank you for the memories and we certainly hope to visit you again.

Rawreth Essex
“Outstanding dining experience at Le Gavroche”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Jan and I and two very close friends had the good fortune of dining at Le Gavroche this week.
I booked this for a special occasion three months ago. We had the lunchtime sitting and booked for the lunchtime special menu with wine.
When we saw the wonderful things on the A La Carte, we just had to go for it, just too tempting.
Our experience started as we approached the front door and it was opened and we were greeted by very friendly staff who checked our booking and took our coats.
We were then shown downstairs to our table and seated. They checked who booked and when I told them that it was me I was the one given the menu with prices listed, the other menus were not priced. We had by then been served aperitifs and some amuse bouches were also served.
The table settings were superb each table having an individual centre piece made form cutlery.
The girls went for the famous soufflé suissesse which was double cream, double cooked and double delicious while us boys had the fish course which looked and tasted great but was not hot. I decided to send them back as we did not want to have this fantastic dining experience spoiled and to go away in any way disapointed.
I told the Maitre D that I was not happy and she immediately apologised and took away our plates, came back and said that our starteres would be with us shortly which they were now much warmer and ob piping hot plates.
We had a young female sommelier who was excellent and very helpful with the wine pairings.
We had the most wonderful Reisling a Domaine Zind Humbrect 2008, exceptional.
For mains Jackie had the Lobster with coconut and lemongrass and Jan had the vegetarian tarte tatin, both stunning looking and excellent while Keith and I had the suckling pig which was for two people. This we washed down with a Chateau La Croix Toulifaut Pomerol, just superb.
Keith and I had to go for the cheese after seeing the very impressive cheese trolley!!!
The very knowledgeable maitre D (one of red haired twins) helped us choose and here our somelier stepped in to help with the wine, she suggested a red Domaine La Tour Meille Bunyuls which was served cold, sweet and perfect with our cheese while the ladies had a Sauternes with Jackies Crispy Filo Tart with pears, ice cream and caramel sauce which she found tasted nice but the crispy filo was a bit to flakey and a bit dry while Jan had L'assiette du Chef which was a selection of beautiful bite sized desserts one being topped with gold leaf, fantastic.
Coffee and teas were served with a very well presented Petit Fours while I had a lovely XO Cognac from the overloaded cognac trolley!!
To top this off, Michel Roux himself came to our table and spoke to me about the course that we sent back, he also posed for photos with us and signed a menu and also my Le Gavroche cookbook. He had previously sent some wine to us with his compliments.
I have to mention the service, truly exceptional, really, plenty of well informed and polite staff, if you leave the table, when you come back your napkin is neatly folded back in its place.
Ambiance brilliant, decor, classy with valuable paintings decorating the walls.
All in all a wonderful dining experience and something we will look forward to again for that special occasion.
Value? expensive if you leave the lunch menu for the A La Carte menu but worth every penny.

Coventry, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I visited the restaurant for the first time last week as an anniversary present for my wife, and I could not have chosen anywhere better. The service, the atmosphere, and the food were all excellent. I had read of some people being disappointed in not seeing Michele Roux when they visited, but having gone purely for the dining experience I have no qualms in giving the restaurant top marks and will certainly hope to visit again.

London
“Faultless”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Not much more to say really. Four of us had the Menu Exceptionnel, with wine on 9th March and from start to finish the service and food was exceptional. All courses and their accompanying wines were explained to us in details. Staff to customer ratio was high and that reflected in the excellent attention given to our table. Michel Roux talked to customers at each table and we were given an autographed menu to take with us, so thank-you Mr Roux for taking the time to do this for us.the food is expensive but you get what you pay for and if you want the best then be expected to pay for it. Each wine went really well with their respective course and the glasses were always topped p. it is certainly better value for money to pay the extra for al the wines. We were seated at 1930 hours and there wasn't any pressure to rush. We left at around 2330 hours. A return trip will be planned for a social occasion