“Delightful!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 16,890 restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: The first UK restaurant to be awarded one, two, and then three Michelin stars, Le Gavroche remains a class apart. Since opening in 1967, this Mayfair bastion of French cuisine has been very much a family affair, and chef-patron Michel Roux Jr continues the tradition today. The elegance of the menu and the ambience is impeccably tailored, while the discreet service has won its own plaudits.
London, United Kingdom
“Delightful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We dined at Le Gavroche for the first time this week.  I must say that I don't recognise any of the dishes listed in the review by Joe below so, as others have said, take with a large dose of skepticism!
We were eating rather late being the only reservation available in Oct/Nov when we booked. We've eaten at several Michelin starred restaurants and this one was refreshing in that the staff were totally lacking in arrogance or hauteur. As we both had busy days the next day we only ordered a half bottle of good wine, nevertheless the Sommelier was charming and helpful and at no point were we made to feel under pressure. My husband forgot to pre-advise that he is coeliac but from the moment he asked for gluten free bread he was brought gluten free amuse- bouche and guided through the best options for him. All the staff spoke perfect English, indeed most were British and we had a particularly charming blond waitress who I think was called Cla(i)re. We were told that Michel Roux Junior had left a few minutes before we arrived but Albert (his Uncle not his father I believe) happened to be dining there.

The decor is a little dated but it's not an issue as the food, wine, service and wine were all sublime. I had the consommé with chicken wings, the veal and, as I was full, the ice cream / sorbet selection (raspberry sorbet especially memorable) and my husband chose scallops then lobster followed by the soufflé with white chocolate ice cream. Each dish was gorgeous and special. If we can, we'll go for the tasting menu next time and start early and take a long, long time to do the quality justice. The cheese board looked superb but eating so late we just didn't have room. The dining room is intimate and quite small - no wonder you have to book early for food of this quality. Oh! And our bill was about £200 - money well spent for a special experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

92% Recommend
  • Polish first
Limerick, Ireland
“Excellent lunch experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Lunch at this establishment is an ideal and easy on the pocket way to experience the ambience, the food and wine, and the top class service of this restaurant. Lunch here is a relaxed affair with extra treats from the kitchen and an all-inclusive price covering both food and wine. The mackarel starter was special on this visit.

Cornwall
“Faultless food, delightful service and incredible value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Impossible to believe that such terrific food in a restaurant with the highest reputation can be such good value. I hate blue cheese - the blue cheese mousse "taster" was divine; chocolate gives me migraine - I ate every scrap of the sauce with the souffle omelette. Heaven on a plate. Michel Roux Jr greeted every diner. Message to every other chef - "watch and learn".

Uk
“STUNNING! STUNNING! STUNNING!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I always visit LE GAVROCHE each and every December with a group of my girlfriends. The beautiful basement restaurant is approached by a lovely staircase, the likes of which is adorned with very tasteful Christmas decorations.

The set menu of £55.00 per head to include wine and coffee is wonderful value, and the meal was absolutely first class. The service as always, was slick and super efficient and the greeting from Michel Roux Jnr was the icing on the cake!

My friends and I enjoyed a few hours of delicious food and wine in stunning surroundings. One of the nicest things I always find about eating at LE GAVROCHE is that they make me feel as though I am the only diner amongst the very full and buzzy (although not noisy) restaurant. It's a very special gift to have and they have mastered it well.

The loos are fabulous, with lots of bits and pieces that us girls might need in an emergency, very luxurious indeed, and I always marvel at the gorgeous collection of hand mirrors which have been collected over the ears, and now displayed on a wall in the little girls' room!

A wonderful lunch and I can't wait to return next December!

A mega THANK YOU to the Roux team!

• Visited December 2012
Austin, TX
“Just sublime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Le Gavroche is simply a world class dining experience. Every aspect of the diner was simply sublime. Yes, it's expensive even for London so be prepared. However, it really does measure up in every way. There are just certain luxuries that are worth the price of admission.