“Great food, nice decor - - worth the price tag” 4 of 5 stars

+44 20 7727 3184
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Kensington Place is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,131 of 17,052 Restaurants in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British, Brasserie
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Kensington Place remains one of London's iconic neighbourhood restaurants serving simple and stylish food in a relaxed atmosphere, surrounded by the buzz of Notting Hill. Dan Loftin's menu celebrates the best of British fish, as well as featuring classic brasserie dishes. All dishes are made using local ingredients and sustainably sourced fish from Billingsgate Market and the British coast. KP (as it is affectionately referred to by locals), also has an extensive wine list available both by the glass and bottle. Next door to the restaurant is The Fish Shop, offering a wide choice of fish and crustacea.
Zurich
“Great food, nice decor - - worth the price tag”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Great location, relaxed atmosphere. I didn't have the feeling that this restaurant was snobby, though it is stylish. As a family of 4, we were welcomed with lively conversation by the French maitre'd. We "uncancelled" a reservation and they weren't complicated about it on a Saturdxay night. The food was outstanding. The children thought the fish & ships was the best ever. The wine selection is very competent and fairly priced.

N.B. The restaurant charges a 12.5% service fee.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Daniel J, General Manager at Kensington Place, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear RogerZurich

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review on trip advisor about your visit, and for your kind words. I remember you telling us you miraculously felt better so decided to come for dinner anyway!
It is great to know that the hard work and passion hasn't gone unnoticed and we would love to welcome you back to Kensington Place in the future (with or without a reservation!)

Kindest Regards & Happy New Year

Daniel Joines

London, United Kingdom
“Marked deterioration”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We have visited Kensington Place periodically over the last 25 years and did so tonight. Our experience over the years has been that it maintained high standards of food quality but tonight was different. We should add that service was fine. The menu has become Brasserie style which is fine if the quality of cooking is high. Unfortunately for us it was not. We had three courses and, therefore, a total of six plates. This included a pretty basic prawn cocktail, a steak which was of poor quality meat, fish and chips which was little different to what would be found in an average pub and a sticky toffee pudding which was dry. This represents marked deterioration from past years. We are keen to return but will do so only if the real care for food returns and we really hope that this review will be taken to heart by management which was not evident when we commented at the end the meal. We can only suggest that, for the time being, other regulars avoid KP which is sad.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Daniel J, General Manager at Kensington Place, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear 'watsonfleur'

I would first like to assure you that we take all of our feedback and comments about the restaurant very seriously, so please do not think otherwise.

I am sad to hear that you did not enjoy your meal on Saturday evening and for this I apologize. The restaurant is indeed offering a brasserie style menu and we couple this with an extensive fish market menu. We source our fish from The Fish Shop next door which offers exceptional quality of fish and I am sorry this did not translate into your experience.

The beef we use is 'Hereford', which is a fantastic breed, but I feel that on this visit you did not receive the quality we are so often proud to serve. May I also suggest, without any intention to criticize, that perhaps it is not advisable to order a rib-eye steak rare, as due to the fat content can result in a tough piece of meat. For rare, I would suggest a leaner cut such as fillet which is much more enjoyable this way.

I am also sorry to hear about the fish and chips being disappointing, so please do get in touch with me personally to leave some more feedback on to the specifics for this dish - danielj@danddlondon.com. We are always keen to receive the feedback as we strive to improve.

I can assure you that a lot of love and passion goes into our food and into the restaurant, and it is saddening to think you feel that it does not. We would love the opportunity to change your opinion of the restaurant at some point in the future, so please feel free to book directly with me should you consider it!

Kindest Regards & Happy New Year

Dan Joines
“Food was fine but not amazing, and service was not great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Waiter was not too attentive but polite. We were waiting a while for our wine as he forgot, and generally not attended to very well. Food was good but not great value.. We spent about £100 on the meal for two including wine but no desert. Seafood pie contained not much fish..

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear 'DublinPiranha'

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent visit. I am sorry to read there were a few issues with your meal and for this I apologise.

I am sorry for the lack of fish in the fish pie, the recipe calls for plenty of smoked haddock, salmon and cod and I am sorry this was not what you received. I also apologise that the service was not up to speed.

Please let me know when you are next in the area (my email is danielj@danddlondon.com) and I will personally ensure that you receive a fish pie with more than enough fish!

Kind Regards

Dan Joines
London, United Kingdom
“good service,expensive food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

came here with 2 female companions,t he portions were small, the sea bass was 1 fillet[2 in a fish!]cut in half, for £16.50, thats expensive , sides were extra, i had the pheasant, small, 2 mouthfulls, and dry, the pate fois grass was in a small jar, very sweet and nasty. the apple crumble had pured apples,
But the service was very good, and they gave you as much bread as you wanted!
far better places to go for the money

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Nice and accommodating restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The Fish and Chips was one of the best that I had. When I wanted Affogato, it was not on the menu but they were very accommodating in improvising one.

Visited November 2012