“Best steak ever!” 5 of 5 stars

+44 20 7426 4850
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Hawksmoor Spitalfields is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #336 of 18,011 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British
Good for: Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Shoreditch Overground Station, Liverpool Street Underground Station
Description: Enjoying iconic status across the city, Hawksmoor Spitalfields has built a reputation for offering the finest steaks in London. Oozing old-school glamour, the suave dining room features shabby-chic brickwork and old school wooden furnishings, offset by a littering of trendy kitsch trinkets. Alongside a celebrated selection of dictionary-thick meat cuts, Hawksmoor favourites include plum pudding belly ribs, or smooth potted smoked mackerel.
Surrey,uk
“Best steak ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Visited here early one Saturday evening as we had tried Hawksmoor guildhall and couldn't find it!luckilly we were driving and not even 10 mins later we had made it here and parked conveniently in a road opposite (free after 6.30pm)When asked for a table for two,the host said they were fully booked,but with a bit of swapping around and a reassurance that as long as they could serve us quick enough,we would be out within 1 1/2 hours max.The steaks are ordered by the cut and the weight,my hubby is a huge steak eater went for and average 850g cut (can't remember which one) and it really was quite big.I had chateaubriand and it was delicious,the chips are to die for too.
Will defenately be returning for the tastiest steak ever.

• Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Hawksmoor bar food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

A group of us celebrating a birthday went to the downstairs 'bar' as we couldn't get a table for the restaurant. We thought we would be disappointed because we love the steak at Hawksmoor (who doesn't - it is the best steak in London) but they do not serve it in the bar...

However, we had a great time: good food (burgers which were delicious and unique with fabulous side dishes) and fun cocktails. Service was a bit poor considering they had a number of waiters who filled the floor and you had to navigate your way round them when going to the loo. But overall a good place to go for top burgers and good quality food.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Took some customers here for a meal in March 2013. Food was immense, as were the drinks, atmosphere was good and staff excellent.

Would 100% recommend for a special occasion!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Leeds
“Steak! Really really good steak!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Fantastic atmosphere, good wine cellar, professional waiters to assist with the menu. If you like steak this is a great place to start! Highly recommended, will definitely be back.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Good but not its old great self.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

A couple of reviews below mine is a review stating that Hawksmoor, once great, is now not as great as it used to be. I totally agree. I don't know whether my tastes have become more refined over the years, as I have become a bit of a foodie of late, but I no longer hold Hawksmoor in the high esteem that I once did.

Don't get me wrong - the meal was by no means bad. The welcome was lovely as ever; our coats were taken and we were shown to our table. As usual there was a great bustling atmosphere in the restaurant with lots of people chattering away. Our drinks order was taken swiftly and our water and wine were delivered promptly by our friendly waiter.

To start, my boyfriend ordered potted beef with yorkshires, and I had beetroot with goat's curd. Both were good, but the potted beef was outstanding. I had serious starter envy. You must have it if you go to Hawksmoor. It was THAT good.

For main course, we ordered an 850g Porterhouse steak (we'd have preferred 700, but they were all gone) to share, plus some bone marrow and sides of macaroni cheese, buttered greens, spinach and chips. We asked for the steak medium. The steak was delicious, but to my mind it was a little underdone and chewy in places. Everything else was perfection - the macaroni cheese was particularly amazing. Not a fan of bone marrow however. That's not the restaurant's fault, we wanted to try it and just found it not to our liking. I do wish I hadn't plonked the whole lot on my plate though. It is incredibly fatty and has quite an overbearing taste.

In all we enjoyed our meal, but I do feel that Hawksmoor is rather expensive for what it is. The steak alone was £72 and the sides do add up. Also the wine is fantastically expensive. We paid £40 for a bottle of red wine which was nice, but not outstanding. Also £3 for a single espresso is pushing it I think.

• Visited March 2013