“Reliably good food in a fantastic light and airy space” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fredericks Restaurant

Fredericks Restaurant
106 Islington High Street | Camden Passage, Islington, London N1 8EG, England (Islington / Clerkenwell)
+44 (0)20 7359 2888
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Fredericks Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,375 of 17,940 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Islington / Clerkenwell
London, UK
“Reliably good food in a fantastic light and airy space”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We have been coming here for years.....probably been 15 times overall; Fredericks is the sort of place you come because know what you are going to get, that it will be good food - not earth shatteringly innovative or exciting - but nicely cooked and consistent, and decent value for what it is. Most recent trip was on Mother's day, with an enjoyably retro fixed menu at £30 per person (roast beef, coq au vin, bakewell tart, black forest gateaux etc). Each of the dishes we had was tasty, nicely presented, and service was good (though they do have a lot of staff, so we were asked every few minutes if we were happy.....but better that way than neglect and lack of interest). We ordered extra chips, as their chips are usually sensational, and we were not disappointed. The majority of the restaurant is under a high glass ceiling, which seems to work well in different seasons and temperatures, and is lovely and light even on a grey winter’s day. Generally you get a good mix of groups and couples, and it provides a suitable atmosphere for both, and amongst the hundreds of Islington restaurants it offers that comfortable, slightly “old school” environment and cuisine if you want a change from the multitudinous ethnic offerings of Upper Street.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Sudbury, Suffolk, England
“Amazing cocktails, great food and outstanding service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I have visited here many times with my boyfriend and have always had a fabulous visit, from the delicious cocktails (thoroughly recommend the luxury mojito), to being seated in the beautiful alfresco-style dining area, the homemade breads, the seasonal food is cooked to perfection. I have always felt 110% looked after regardless of how busy it can get. It is well priced for the mouth-watering selection of foods offered to you and the waiters tender to your every request. I thoroughly recommend the visit, be it for drinks at the bar, or a meal with your partner, family or friends. Worth every penny!

“Ok food, not amazed!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Great staff, impressive wine list, but the food was just ok. Nothing special, I had so much better food at other restaurants.
The only thing I would go back for would be theire bread, it was the best bread basket ever. Such a shame they didn't do the bread themself....

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“I wanted a bit more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband always wanted to go to Frederick's - the restaurant has been around for a while. So we finally went. The bar was nice (even though there is always a draft when someone enters from outside) and the cockails very good. Our food wasn't bad either - it was just not really fine dining, nor normal portion sizes. I am happy to have small portions with intense flavours. But to have pricey small portions with very average flavours - I don't know - I felt a bit cheated. On the plus side they have a very good wine selection and those were reasonably priced. Would I go again? Most likely not. My husband is happy that we finally went and that's that.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Room for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We had been meaning to come here for ages, and when our American cousin wanted a nice lunch venue this was an obvious spot. Good points were it does have a lovely interior, with a bright open glass space overlooking a surprisingly large concealed garden. It was a lovely ambience On a rainy day. Service was good and efficient, but the place was let down by the food. We may give it a second chance, but this really was not good enough. The low point was my mothers lamb, requested pink and turned up an inedible dark brown wildly overcooked. It got sent back, admittedly with no quibbles. The Salmon fishcakes were 'OK' but really one expects better than 'OK' at a restaurant with fine dining pretentions, and I thought the chef could do much better than a fairly bland menu with few exciting options. Everything seemed under-seasoned to me, so do not go with high food expectations until the kitchen gets re-vamped....is it surviving on ambience and location??