“Terrible value, little sense of Japanese hospitality” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Defune

Defune
34 George Street | Marylebone, London W1U 7DP, England (Marylebone)
0207 935 8311
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #13,102 of 17,879 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Marylebone
“Terrible value, little sense of Japanese hospitality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

We ate here on a cold January day and had three hot starters, two hot mains, two beers and a glass of wine and it was £132 including 15% service charge. We live a short walk away so we're used to Marylebone prices but for very average food it's 30-40% overpriced. Ground floor dining room is cold and characterless. I'm a regular visitor to Japan, this didn't feel like either the high end dining there, or the neighbourhood restaurants that are so common and so good. We didn't try the sushi/sashimi bar perhaps that's better.

Visited January 2014

Northampton, United Kingdom
“Food prisoning”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

We went there with three of us at lunch time,and food was below average and cost us £143 for a lunch with small portion of food. After that, me and my husband on the way to work, we both start feeling very sick and upset stomach. We have to take half day off and cancelled the dinner party with my family. So sad! We probably had the really un-fresh sashimi and poor raw fish.The next day we had phoned the restaurant and the manager said "we won't take your complaints,that's bye," and hang up my phone twice. Very disappointed and angry with such poor and terrible service we had. They are not care about the customer's health and irresponsible about the food they provided. They just earn your money and get you food prisoned. This is really serious problem as they selling raw fish ,really concern about their hygiene problem. Probably the worse choice I have made ,waste the money. If you want terrible service,bad food,worse upset stomach and empty wallet,go there!!!! Never never go there ! Avoid avoid!

Visited December 2013
Sherborne, United Kingdom
“What has happened??”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I went there last night for dinner. I had not visited the restaurant for 4 years and was frankly appalled. The service was poor as we walked in and they were reluctant for us to go down stairs. They were unwilling with the coats and positively frosty from then on. The sushi was good and high quality but the udon soup was flavourless and bland. The real insult came when I questioned in a friendly way the compulsory 15% service charge already added on. They were dismissive and rude and I refused to pay the service charge. They could not get my out of the restaurant fast enough. The first negative Trip advisor report I have written. These people do not deserve your custom.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Heed the warnings”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We were in a hurry so Japanese seemed like a plan. I should have heeded my wife's warning to read the menu outside first. Blisteringly high prices for very low grade fare. This is a big disappointment and best avoided

Banbury, United Kingdom
“we used to be fans”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

it was expensive but excellent and we went there often,now its just overpriced .downstairs room smells of mould.service is no longer high quality japanese style service.food is deteriorating.costly sashimi plate now comes with cheap mackerel included,you dont find this in japan where mackerel is usually served in another way because it is oily.we will not be going back any more

• Visited November 2013