“Very good Indian restaurant...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chutney Mary

Chutney Mary
535 Kings Road | Chelsea, London SW10 0SZ, England (Hammersmith / Fulham)
+44 (0) 20 7351 3113
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #364 of 17,929 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Hammersmith / Fulham
Description: "This elegant and sophisticated restaurant has been pleasing diners from Chelsea and beyond for years. The transformed interior features olive, aubergine and burgundy soft furnishings, teak panelling and Moghul-style mirrored murals, which create a romantic and enchanting ambiance.We're not naming names, but, but you could star-spot politicos, media types and artists here. Or you could just enjoy the terrific food and smooth service. What's cooking? The gourmet Indian menu features favourites like Goa green chicken curry and lamb pasanda cooked in the ""Jewel of gravies"", or spoil yourself with fresh lobster in a tomato and brandy sauce served in the shell with a separate lobster curry and rice. Vegetarians will be very happy here with a platter to impress, as will those who enjoy an adventurous and exciting wine list! "
Indore, India
“Very good Indian restaurant...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

After visiting numerous Indian restaurants in London in my previous visits, never expected would see real Indian restaurant ever in London...
Atmosphere is too good.... feast for eyes & heart soothing actually.

Khana (food) is really good ... loved it...

Visit of all Indian travellers is must.... that's my personal recommendation....

A lesser bit of Punjabipan will do better to this restaurant...

Pankaj

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
london
“OVER RATED BY FAR”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This restaurant had a good reputation when it opened for quite a few years but based upon our visit last week we would never visit again.
I agree entirely with other reviews that the prices are way above what is justified.
We paid £74 for just one main course each which was very small indeed and 3 small beers and diet coke.
The menu is very limited in comparison with other similar styled restaurants and they also add a service charge of 12.50%.
The staff are very courteous but I am afraid that is not enough when paying their prices.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Went chutney Mary with two of my friends, the service was out of this world and food was mouth watering, its lovely inside staff are very friendly one thing I recommend is more choice of dips for poppadoms, as it's a high end restaurant I would of expecting twist to the dips for the poppadoms

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Good food but a bit OTT pricewise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

In line with other reviews here - the food is good with ambience to match. The service is attentive but not intrusive (I was worried after reading some of the reviews here).
It doesn't get top mark from me, because the web site hides more than it reveals (Sample menu?) and the staff was non-committal about reserving a table in the conservatory (although handling the online booking and the follow up was good) and some of the food was a tad too spicy than it should have been (Probably the Butter Chicken).
On a more personal level - I can get better Indian food at half the price elsewhere in London, but as a treat, it's definitely worth considering.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oxford
“Fine Indian Dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were a party of 6, all fanatical foodies and lovers of Indian fine dining. And this was Indian fine dining. Our table was in the conservatory, and I would recommend it above the dining room - although I wouldn't have been unhappy seated there either.

Where does one start - with a cocktail of course. A fascinating and different list of cocktails than I have seen before. Mine a mango and lime martini was sublime and I tasted a couple of the other which were also superb. Then to choosing the menu. One or two of us fancied the tasting menu at £45. Others were worried about their respective food fads - 1. a pescatarian 2. Another who does not like things at all hot and 3. A third who does not eat any kind of fish or shellfish.

Firstly we were told that it was not a problem if only some of us went for the tasting menu - that took me by pleasant surprise. Then, each of the foodie fads mentioned above were to our waiter "simply no problem". Don't you just love this flexibility. So needless to say we all went with the tasting menu but with a raft of "no problem" variants. All of which, when served, were delicious.

We did not go for the wine recommendations with each course, unfortunately, as that would have been my preference. The first arrivals had started with a very good bottle of Saumur Blanc at £33 a pop, and we stuck with that throughout. A lovely bottle but needless to say it had to be a compromise, which is why I would have preferred their recommendations.

Service was gracious and with a smile. If I had one little niggle it was that cutlery was placed in a somewhat haphazard fashion and arms reached across me to place some of it. But this is a very tiny niggle in what was overall an extremely good experience.

We did not stint ourselves and, at £70 a head including service, i think this was an excellent experience. Thank you Chutney Mary

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere