“Seafood heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Outlaw's at The Capital

Outlaw's at The Capital
22 Basil Street, London SW3 1AT, England (Knightsbridge / South Kensington)
+44 (0)20 7589 5171
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #176 of 17,944 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Neighborhood: Knightsbridge / South Kensington
Description: Outlaw's Seafood & Grill at The Capital will focus on simply prepared, ecologically sound seafood and seasonal cuts. Expect Cornish crab on toast, grilled lemon sole with potted brown shrimp butter, roast brill on-the-bone, whole Port Isaac lobster and char grilled venison chop. Nathan Outlaw holds 2 Michelin stars at his eponymous restaurant in Rock Cornwall and whilst he will remain primarily based in Cornwall he will spend time at The Capital every week liaising with head chef Pete Biggs who he has worked with over the past 10 years. Pete, before moving to Cornwall, worked at The Vineyard at Stockcross and in London The Square and Hibiscus. A fun way to share a meal is by ordering (in advance) one of the Feast menus which offer a selection of dishes 'family' style including a whole Monkfish tail or lobster and steak platter. These can be taken in one of the 2 private rooms.
Surrey
“Seafood heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I was fortunate enough to be treated to lunch at this restaurant yesterday for my birthday. The experience was very pleasant from start to finish. There is a warm welcome from the hotel concierge upon arrival and this continues with the maître d and so on. We enjoyed a couple of drinks in the bar area before we were shown to our table. The restaurant area light and roomy without being too big. The service was very attentive as you would expect in this type of establishment and the sommelier was very helpful and quite humorous without being over the top. If (like me) you like seafood then any of the menus will do the trick. I had the scallops to start and can say they are probably the best I have ever tasted. I then had the turbot for main course and this was also very good but not as good as the scallops. The cost of the food compared to similar restaurants is very reasonable and if unlike us you are able to make 1 bottle of wine last for the meal then you will probably be able to eat very well for under £200 for two of you.
Both my wife and I were suitably impressed and will probably head back soon.

London, United Kingdom
“Exceptional Value Set Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Had an excellent lunch here recently, the very good value set lunch. Started with a very good cauliflower soup with salt cod and curry oil, a main of plaice with delicious wild garlic dumplings and St Clement's possett and cheese to finish. Service pleasant and efficient. Nicely finished small dining room. The wine list is expensive but not unreasonable for what it is but it was one of the cheapest (but not in a bad way) lunches we've had in London for a while.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Great, but not Amazing.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Without doubt, this is very good restaurant.
Whole place is kind of calming, relaxing. Very nice atmosphere. Service was very professional. Their wine list is impressive.
All dishes we ate were great, too. Cooked perfectly and presentation was neat and clean, just spot on.
Needless to say, we enjoyed and had a really nice evening.
However, I'd say, it was " great ", but not " amazing ". Somehow I felt like just a tiny piece was missing to complete whole " amazing " picture.
4 people, the bill was well over £400. ( we only had a grass of wine and champagne each, starter and main each, just 1 desert to share )
Maybe I only would like to recommend this restaurant for fully grown adults who appreciate this calm ambience or for business dinner which I saw the most of people there for.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Great Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We ate here for dinner recently and were very impressed.

Food was very good and not overly priced. The service was also good.

It's not a massive restaurant and it has a nice ambience. Very hadndy to get to, just around the corner from Harrods.

Would recommend it.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Cheltenham, UK
“Just a little bit star struck”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Having been a fan of Nathan Outlaw's for a while, I was really looking forward to dining at his London joint. I wasn't disappointed.

I'm getting excited about the food all over again just from writing this review. Crab starter, Monkfish main and a honey ice cream that deserved a standing ovation of its own. The only thing that stopped me from this rather dramatic response was the appearance of the man himself; coming out of the kitchen to present another diner with a copy of his book as it was her birthday. I could only stare and shovel more of the pudding in my mouth and get over my chefy fan-girl moment.

However, I can assure you this review is entirely based on the quality of the food and service. Whilst I was a bit star struck at the idea of Outlaw cooking for little ole me, that hasn't influenced my judgement. The food was spectacular and the service everything you'd expect in a Michelin star restaurant. This is British seafood treated with the utmost respect. Will definitely go back.