“Excellent value...but service could be better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Rose Lounge

The Rose Lounge
Sofitel St James | 6 Waterloo Place, London SW1Y 4AN, England (St. James's)
+44 (0)20 7747 2200
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Rose Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,068 of 17,879 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Pub, Continental
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: St. James's
London, England
“Excellent value...but service could be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I really enjoyed our afternoon tea experience at the Sofitel. The room is beautiful, not as big as other tea lounges and had a really cosy atmosphere with a harpist.

I was disappointed we were shown to a tiny table for 3, with quite formal straight back chairs. I was so hoping for the armchairs or sofa but apparently these had been reserved by other guests. We finally settled on an equally small table but the chairs at least had arms! The table was so small there was barely room for our plates, glasses and tea cup. Our tea pots had to sit on a separate table, which leads me to the service. Staff were pleasant but not very attentive. Not once did we have our cups refilled or asked if we needed more tea, (it went cold very quickly) and it was awkward reaching over for our teapots across the table without knocking into everything.

Food was very good. A choice of 4 finger sandwiches, 3 scones and a choice of 2 cakes.

I appreciate this tea is cheaper than other hotels, one of the reasons we booked here in the first place, if the service improved and there were more comfy chairs this would be one of the best spots in London!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Tel Aviv, Israel
“A royal timeout in Londonit a”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I traveled to London with my 12 years old daughter for her "Bat Mizva" (12th birthday).
I ordered in advance a place in the Rose Lounge in Sofitel Hotel using the site : http://www.afternoontea.co.uk/
this is a very nice way to rest while touring the great city.
The lounge is very cosy, decorated like an antique place with pink and rose colors, there is a fireplace (which was not in use , because it was June..)
and an Harpist who played while we ate and contributed to the atmosphere.
we ate some sandwiches, scones and great cakes and drank champagne (me) and strawberry smoothie (my daughter) and of course - some tea.
service was very good.
The Sofitel hotel is very close o the palace.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“A Bucket List Dream, fulfilled.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My first visit to London, and I have always wanted to experience a true, British Afternoon Tea. Even my husband, enjoyed this Lovely Tea. Numerous , splendid teas to choose from, and a Beautiful tray of delicious finger sandwiches, scones, butter, lemon curd, jams, and French Pastries and cakes, All Art on a plate. The waitstaff was friendly and helpful, the Harpist played and added to the peaceful, relaxing afternoon.The room is lovely and If I visit London, again, I shall book Tea at the Rose Lounge.

Visited July 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
“afternoon tea experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

i took my parents in low for the afternoon tea at the Rose Lounge.the experience was absolutely amazing from the moment we stepped in.The room is very relaxing withe beautiful music.the staff was very welcoming and provided a great service.the whole experience was very enjoyable and we had a great afternoon.

Hertfordshire
“Best afternoon tea in London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Lovely atmosphere; intimate with decor like a dolls house.
Great food and plenty of it. You can have more if you want it unlike some other places.
Good value for money. Very impressed.

• 5 of 5 stars Food