“Not real BBQ” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bodean's BBQ - Soho

Bodean's BBQ - Soho
10 Poland Street, London W1F 8PZ, England (Soho)
+44 (0)20 7287 7575
Neighborhood: Soho
London
“Not real BBQ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

As a Texan, I have high expectations for my barbeque. And for my cornbread. Unfortunately, both at Bodeans have a bland rubbery texture that's hugely disappointing.

Visited October 2012

London
“Moments of utter brilliance - but often hit or miss!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My girlfriend and I have lived in London for around 7 months now and last night was roughly our 5th time. Up to this time we really haven't been impressed - but continued eating here in the hope that we would get that one time when the chefs were really on form - and last night It was utterly superb! - we had a platter, sharing burnt ends, beef ribs, baby back ribs, chicken, pulled pork and a side of hot wings.....I cant stress how delicious it was......

However, the experience before was a little different - we got to the soho restaurant at around 10.50 just wanting a quick basket of wings before going home - we rushed to place our order before 11 when the place starts to close. I couldn't help but notice the look on the chefs faces (there were 2) as they were already in the process of wiping down for the night - it was one of sheer disgust directed towards me. Admittedly this made me feel a bit uncomfortable. We ordered "hot" wings which if you have tried them are just slightly spicy and very easy to eat! However when our wings arrived they were literally inedible due to their heat. They were even beyond the "diablo" wings they serve - and i know because ive had them several times. There were literally hundreds of chilli flakes thrown all over them - and believe it or not I could see the chefs smirking and joking in the kitchen. All i can say is that the soho chain has lost a customer for life - and i have advised many people to avoid the place. Such a shame that a reputable restaurant has its reputation soiled by a pair of complete imbeciles in the kitchen.

Grow up.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bristol
“Outstanding - worth the wait for a table!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I've eaten here twice now while in London on business, and it's never failed to impress me. The food is absolutely to die for, and my mouth is watering just thinking about it. I recommend the ribs, and slow cooked pulled pork... On my last visit I ordered an extra portion of pulled pork, and ended up having to get a doggie bag (although I ate it - far too good for doggie!)...

My sister lives in Tennessee, and I've had some great BBQ there - this is just as good, which is why it is rammed every night.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Bodeans@tower hill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Food is very average and was served cold, it also took an age to be served to us. Atmosphere is desperately trying hard to come across as American but failing miserably, an experience not to be repeated when next in London.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Meat meat meat ! (and chips)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

If you like meat you'll love this restaurant. It serve's ribs, pulled pork and burnt ends combo's and has an american diner feel to it.

It is of a good standard, and certainly does its chips well. The menu is extensive with multiple combinations.

The food is is of a good standard, however discerning diners will find it feels a bit out of a packet / freezer / deep fat fryer chain restauranty. If you're in the mood for that it will definitely hit the spot. I think they could change the recipe for their coleslaw a bit to add more flavour as this was disappointing, however the rest was delicious, sweet and well cooked. The chips are especially good. Burnt ends sweat and saucy, and the pulled pork is the best. The ribs (spare seem best) have a good amount of meat on them.

If you want to go on from this restaurant, I would thoroughly recommend visiting Pit Cue Co round the corner, and although you will have to queue for a long time (obviously as it's brilliant and no reservations allowed) however you will have the best ribs / pulled pork / burnt ends with some interesting takes and twists on this classic cuisine.

If you're in the mood for hearty, meaty and a bit of a hangover cure, this is the place for you and would thoroughly recommend the cocktails and atmosphere of this buzzing bar / restaurant.

• Visited June 2012