“Hidden Gem in the Warehouse” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bistrotheque

Bistrotheque
23-27 Wadeson Street, London E2 9DR, England (East End / East London)
020 8983 7900
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: East End / East London
Cross street: Cambridge Heath Road
Transit: Bethnal Green tube/Cambridge Heath rail
Description: Bistrotheque is housed in a converted clothing factory in the East End. Upstairs is a minimalist dining room seating 80 covers serving a mix of classic French Bistro and Modern British cuisine under the watchful eye of head chef Tom Collins.
London
“Hidden Gem in the Warehouse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

It's quite amazing how they managed to get so much out of an old warehouse. The interior was really clean cut, nice white tiles on the walls, shabby chic all in all, quite decadent a bit like a New York bar I would say...
Food simple but nice, again clean and fresh, not Michelin star but well executed. In fact, I was really positively impressed by it. My steak tartare was one of the best I had in London, my husband had a set meal and the pork belly was really well cooked and moist with a crispy edge.
It can be said that it lacked that personal touch, warmth and affection that I like to feel when I go out for dinner. It felt at times a bit impersonal border line with pretentious, and I am not sure why guests would like that. Personally, I like to be pampered and made feel cared for rather than being looked at up and down.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere and service, food quite good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We found it very difficult to find the restaurant, could see no signs outside or inside the building. No disabled access or toilets.
Once upstairs a surprise awaits you: A stylish conversion of a factory or workshop, beautiful lighting and lovely ambience.
Service friendly and professional, food was quite good but not outstanding. You'd go for the atmosphere rather than the food.Jugs with iced tap water were provided and replenished without asking.
We enjoyed the experience and were please they booked a table at the end of the room, as requested, for a quieter evening.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Be young and trendy, and not too discerning!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Always eager to try yet another über-trendy East End Eatery for Sunday lunch, three things struck me immediately as we arrived in the white, upstairs not-very-converted former sweatshop ( I am guessing): at 66 I was at least twice the age of most of the punters; there was hardly a bottle of wine to be seen amongst the jugs of Bloody Mary and the kahlua cocktails; and at 1 o clock, most people are still eating blueberry pancakes, eggs Arnold Bennett and other drearily traditional brunch dishes. Mind you at the sight of one couple eating rock oysters, washed down with kahlua cocktails, I began to feel quite queasy. Was I missing something... I doubt it!

The lunch menu turned out to be pretty traditional too, and there are no specials. We chose a red mullet and a sea trout mains, both of which were unexceptionable, if a bit overcooked (what's new..), and generally unexciting. Desserts likewise, and the pistachio ice cream turned out to be very ordinary vanilla, sprinkled with a few bits of pistachio.

Wines are perfectly fine, with a decent price range to choose from. Service is good and friendly and the atmosphere is certainly a good one. Tap water comes with ice cubes, which in my book is a big plus.

But there are several east end places I would rather be for better food, as can be judged from some of my other reviews. The trendy young set, complete with their babies and buggies may love their cocktails, but I think their tastebuds need further education...A shared starter, two mains, two side veg. and two desserts plus a modest bottle of wine led to a bill of £108. Not unreasonable, but I would not hurry back

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Effortlessly cool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Knowledgeable staff who are really very pleasant and efficient, delicious food and a quirky atmosphere make this restaurant one that I will eagerly return to! Try the Jersey Royals!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Better the first time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I was so impressed with this place the last time I was here that I wanted to show it off to my wife for her birthday. Alas it was slightly below expectation this time around. The food didn't taste as good and service was not as friendly. However, it is still not a bad place, just that my experience didn't feel as good as the first time. The man in the colourful wig playing the baby grand is still there and the atmosphere is still pretty lively and upbeat.

• Visited June 2013