“Some good, some bad.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bistrotheque

Bistrotheque
23-27 Wadeson Street, London E2 9DR, England (East End / East London)
020 8983 7900
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: East End / East London
Cross street: Cambridge Heath Road
Transit: Bethnal Green tube/Cambridge Heath rail
Description: Bistrotheque is housed in a converted clothing factory in the East End. Upstairs is a minimalist dining room seating 80 covers serving a mix of classic French Bistro and Modern British cuisine under the watchful eye of head chef Tom Collins.
“Some good, some bad.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I found this restaurant by searching for good places to go in the east end. When we turned up, I actually couldnt find the place, there was no sign on the road, I had to call up to ask where they were, the door was inset from the road with no sign which was kind of weird. When we got inside, I was impressed with the decor, its a lovely large warehouse type room, high ceilings with a black and white classic theme. The kitchen is open so you can see the chefs working away, and you could have a drink at the bar or have dinner.

We went early so were the first ones there, although it was a bit strange when the second couple arrived and they were sat directly beside us in the large room. The waitress proceeded to take my friends drink order without taking mine which was also a little frustrating.

We had the mini cheeseburger for starter which was lovely, and pretty much what is to be expected from a restaurant burger, we also shared the cheap Sauvignon which was nice too.

For my main I had fish and chips, and my friend had some kind of vegetable dauphinoise concoction. Visually, the first thing I noticed when they arrived was that my meal was around 3 times larger than my friends which seemed odd. The fish and chips were nice, nothing out of the ordinary, and my mushy peas were fridge-cold when I thought they would be hot.

For dessert, we both had the salted caramel tart which was really delicious, so much so we asked the chef how to make it. I would really advise trying it, so good!

Overall, service was a bit hit and miss, and for the prices I expected more from the mains, but it was a nice environment and I would recommend trying it out.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

78% Recommend
“Great find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Food was excellent, good value for money, great atmosphere, staff were friendly, would definitely recommend, we have already booked to go back, also really want to try the Sunday brunch.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“clueless”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My partner and I have been wanting to go to Bistrotheque for a long time and had heard only good things about it, but sadly it was a let down. The food was good for the price but it was the rest of the experience that was lacking. We felt neglected as nobody seemed to be responsible for serving us and we had to ask for everything, even my knife and fork, and any questions we had about the food were met with blank faces. We had a seat at the bar and saw that the staff were disorganised and hardly smiled. They seemed like a soulless bunch. I've lived in Hackney for quite a few years and i didn't recognise the people in there, I half expected to see a row of BMWs and Mercedes outside when we left. When I go out to eat I want to go to a place where I feel the staff care about me and the experience I will have and this is not it.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
birmjingham UK
“Difficult to find but worth it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Tricky to find as part of the cool trend of opting for no signage whatsoever! Nevertheless the staff are lovely, cocktails good and food very tasty. Worth searching for.

Visited January 2013
Athens, Greece
“Hidden delicious and cult”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Walked to the dark Wadeson str waiting for a sign. No other sign than a well lit door outside a cubic building.
To tell the truth we stepped in not quite sure that we were in the right place. Thanks god we were. An old factory converted to a hip, industrial but cosy modern restaurant.
Good food and service in a high ceiling white room located on the first floor of the building with a long cyclic bar in the middle.
All what we tasted was well cooked and juicy leaving us with an overall good impression, the price included.

• Visited December 2012