“No it really isn't worth it - queue up somewhere else” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Il Siciliano Restaurant

Il Siciliano Restaurant
33 Dean Street | Soho, London W1D 4PW, England (Soho)
(020)-7437-6024
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #13,451 of 17,879 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Soho
Bristol, United Kingdom
“No it really isn't worth it - queue up somewhere else”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Couldn't get in to other Soho places and this one was not too busy (should have been alarm bells!). All dishes expensive off cheap dog-eared menus. Lasagne was bland and even the waiters weren't sure it was the correct dish. Low quality wine was expensive, and the mystery "cover charge" of £1.25 a head is apparently for a slice of bread and a couple of olives each - both unrequested. Toilets in the basement were filthy and broken. Its gets busy due to it's location not its reputation! We complained and were met with indifference, they couldn't charge our friend's card quick enough; refusing to delete the 10% service charge!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Sun Diego
“Il Siciliano - Home Cooking Away from Home”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

It was late and I was looking for something a bit different, and happened upon Il Siciliano on Dean Street in Soho, just outside of Chinatown.

The waiters were old school Italian, appearing a bit gruff but very welcoming and helpful when I tried out my long-lost Italian on them. Despite the crowds I was accommodated at a nice table in the center of the action (albeit with "easy access to the toilets") where I could see everything.

I was presented with a nice dish of olives and some bread (no olive oil, unfortunately), and ordered the house red since there were very few wines by the glass (red, white, and a mix). Dinner was terrific- salad and veal marsala, topped off with an absolutely "to die for" homemade tiramisu.(All the deserts are home made.)

As I looked around after ordering, most of the clientele that seemed to be locals favored the pastas. Not to self: home made deserts are probably reflective of home made pastas here. Order that next time.

Good value, good food, credit cards accepted for the traveler who carries little cash.
Enjoy!

London, United Kingdom
“Run away from here !! Disgusting!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I was raised eating fresh Italian food and didn't see many here. Toilet was disgusting, dry your hands with toilet roll. Food was bland. The specials were not special. Charged £25 for £5 Tesco bottle of wine. Service was shady and our complaints we're over looked. Run away.. wait for an hour somewhere else you'll be better off.

Visited December 2012
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Nice, not cheap but authentic. Definitely not a chain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

.Have eaten here a couple of times - the latest being last week. The place was empty when we arrived with a few couples coming in later.
The food is excellent in our opinion - if you want authentic Italian (or I assume Sicilian) traditional and basic cooking. The Linguine Vongole was particularly good, with fresh clams, pasta cooked just right and one of the best tomato sauces I've tried recently.
Some of the other reviews of the food seem strange (who orders fries in an Italian restaurant?) - although if you are more used to a chain Italian the more authentic style of cooking might be a shock (and avoid if you do not like garlic or chillies!).

Service was good - however again don't expect an over-attentive young thing (appologies to the waiter in advance here!). However if you want hot food in front of you quickly, wine served promptly, correctly and at the right temperature (and offered for tasting first - why do restaurants seem to be stopping this basic courtesy?) then you will be OK. The wine is expensive - but the cheapest red (still £22) was very pleasant.
Downsides - its not cheap, however for Soho it is no different to most other places. They do add a mysterious “cover charge” (£1.25 each I think but clear on the menu )to the bill and automatically add a 10% services charge - however this is clearly marked as being optional should you wish not to pay it.

So if you want some decent Italian cooking and have few quid in your pocket - in you go, if you want to be safe and want to know exactly what to expect then Pizza Express is three doors down.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Eglwysbach, United Kingdom
“Such a shame...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Everywhere in Soho was packed last Saturday evening, it was my birthday and my wife and I where looking for somewhere for dinner. Il Siciliano had a table for two for us on their first floor. The service started off great and the food was lovely, real italian cooking and presentation.

Unfortunately, they then had three tables of six come in and seated around us on the first floor. From that moment onwards we were completely ignored by the staff, no offer of a desert menu for almost 40 minutes after our main course plates where taken, so I asked for the bill, which didn't come.

I love italian, and would always opt for desert, coffee and an italien brandy to complete the evening. none of which were possible in Il Siciliano that evening.

In the end I had to go to the counter on the ground florr to collect and pay my bill, which had 10% service charge on!!! I think not...

I bet this place is great on a quiet evening, but I will not be returning to find out.

• Visited November 2012