“Wish I could afford to eat there all the time!” 5 of 5 stars

020 74955999
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sumosan Restaurant & Jbar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,455 of 16,877 restaurants in London
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Green Park underground station
Description: Sumosan opened in Albemarle Street in May 2002. This glamorous restaurant has become a firm favourite with locals and celebrities alike due to its exceptional food and friendly efficient service. Head chef Bubker Belkhit has created a sumptuous and varied menu, which compliments the excellent raw materials, sourced for the restaurant.The sushi and sashimi is some of the best to be found in the capital. No compromise is ever made on the quality of the fish. Owner Janina Wolkow readily reduces her profit margin if it is required that the fish are sourced from a more obscure part of the world to maintain quality.
London, United Kingdom
“Wish I could afford to eat there all the time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My parents and I love Japanese food. My mum and I tend to prefer the sushi/sashimi parts, whereas my dad tends to favour the main dishes. Sumosan has never failed to impress us.

My most recent visit to Sumosan was for my last birthday (belated) and my parents treated my boyfriend and I to a wonderful dinner. The fish can't be beaten on freshness and flavour and certain dishes stand out in my memory. A few examples would be the lamb chops and the chocolate fondant.

I have not used the bar since my 18th birthday (when a friend and I were treated to a celebratory dinner) and found that the drinks were great too. I like the music they play, asked once who it was by and found that it was a custom made mix. There is great attention to detail and attentive staff.

• Visited July 2012

66% Recommend
Stockholm, Sweden
“Best Japanese food in London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I will give it a 5 star since it just is the best tasting Japanese food in London.

Usually the service is really good, but it happens that they just have a "bad day".
I'm not sure what to think of the wine list, as they offer only "cheap" wines. Either it's very fair or just bad, I don't know. Also, the waiters always screw it up when you order a bottle of wine. Someone will come and ask you if you want another glass (not realizing that you are drinking by the bottle), or they will just forget to refill.

I recommend the tuna tartar (my absolute favorite) and the black cod.

The food is VERY expensive, and it can be difficult to find a cab when leaving the restaurant in the evening!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Best sushi in London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My favourite restaurant in London! food and service is always superb. Sexy restaurant in Mayfair location. Highly recommended!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“BEST LOBSTER SALAD EVER!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Been to sumosan a couple of times and have never had a disappointing experience. Its on par with the best contemporary japanese restaurants (which seem to be popping up everywhere). The sushi selection is wide and quality is very good. They also have a great (ever popular) rock shrimp tempura as well as some excellent combinations of sashimis with truffles and peppers.

But where Sumosan really shines is with its lobster salad! This is by far the best dish they have, and I never thought I would be saying that about what is on the surface a rather simple salad. Fresh lettuce with pieces of lobster all with a accentuating sauce that is just perfect.

The atmosphere is very lively, trendy and befitting for the scene in Mayfair/Albemarle st. Needless to say I will be coming back for more and often!

P.S. - For dessert you can't go wrong with the fondant!

“Really good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Went there for lunch with my wife and 19 yr old daughter on the former's birthday. The place was nicely full (in truth, the service was a bit slow, as I suspect they were busier on a Monday lunch time than they had expected to be) but not just with 'suits'. We weren't worried Bout the service being a bit slow; we weren't in a hurry, and everything they brought us to eat was delicious.

We all had the 'lunch box', where you choose about 8 different things. It was lovely, and at £25 per head was really good value for really good west end Japanese food. We had a couple of small additional things to start (edamame, and a really nice ceviche type thing) and we were all nicely full at the end. With coffees, quite a bit of mineral water, and a bottle of rose, the whole thing was £175. A couple of years ago, my wife and I went to Zuma, and it was more for just the two of us, with only a half bottle of wine. So, all in all a very enjoyable experience!

Ps. The outside of the building it's in is being refurbished at the moment, but don't let that put you off. It's fine inside.