“Poor customer service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of LSE Passfield Hall

You added LSE Passfield Hall to your Saves list
LSE Passfield Hall
3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   1-7 Endsleigh Place, London WC1H OPW, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #150 of 684 Specialty Lodging in London
Ottawa, Canada
“Poor customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This hostel looks nice and I wish I could say I had had the opportunity to stay there, but unfortunately due to poor customer service I was unable to. Don't expect any miracles from this place if an unexpected event prevents you from making it to your room on time. My flight was delayed, and when I called to exchange my reservation to the night after, they were booked solid. They were also booked for three other nights I tried. I asked if an exception could be made given the circumstances to have my booking cancelled without penalties, and they all but told me to piss off. Despite being booked solid, and therefore definitely being able to make their money back through another traveller, they refused. Instead, they wanted me to cancel, keep my money, and then rebook the room to another traveller. Needless to say I did not agree to this and was left extremely dissatisfied by the experience, particularly given the attitude of the receptionist and manager, who during my second call told me they had better things to do, and told me to stop calling and wasting their time as they would do nothing for me. I honestly could not believe it. Worst. Service. Ever.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Fiona T, Manager at LSE Passfield Hall, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us on Tripadvisor.

Whilst we would have been happy to move your reservation with us to another day, we can only do so at times when we have vacant rooms available. Unfortunately in this case we were fully booked on all your alternative dates and therefore unable to accommodate your request. I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

Please be assured that we take our customer service very seriously. Feedback such as yours is valuable as it enables us to learn from our mistakes and put things right. We will take steps to ensure this does not happen again. Please accept my apologies if our service fell below our usual standard on this occasion.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Clean and tidy housing. Nice neighborhood, quite close to Euston Station with easy access to all the main attractions of the city. Worthwhile for both long and short stays, with a plain and correct English breakfast. The room is designed for the LSE students, so be prepared for a simple bed, wardrobe and study table. The shared bathrooms are clean and tidy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Lee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Didn't realize it was in the 'student area of London - really posh area, hotel was lovely - clean & tidy - rooms were very comfortable....for £90 each for 2 nights which included breakfast - for London - we couldn't complain!

and a stone's throw from Covert Garden so we saved loads on tubes......literately able to walk right into town

Will happily book there again - quite happily.....

Room Tip: if there's two of you sharing - double is only £68 which make's it better value for money...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Price seemed reasonable, perfect location, and nice pictures. Stayed for 8 nights and could not sleep at all. Being a student hall, I expected silent rooms to be able to study and rest, but I got coughing noises from the neighbor, the entrance doorbell, foot traffic by reception inside a room with a bed, desk and washbin.
What they did not mention in the website at all is that windows don't shut properly, all the noise from the street comes in, as well as a nearby A/C unit which made it impossible to sleep.
Staff at reception are not qualified to deal with customers or any issue outside standard check-in/check-out procedure.
There is no elevator, so be sure to pack lightly or have someone carry your suitcases up the stairs..

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the street
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
LSEVacations, Manager at LSE Passfield Hall, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for your comments. It was unfortunate that we were unable to accommodate your request for a “silent room if possible.” Our occupancy at the time limited us to the number of options we could present to you.

The sash windows in our listed building are maintained throughout the year, and our maintenance team was available to assist had we been advised of a problem. As advertised on our website it is the case that access to some parts of Passfield are by stair only, however the main building is fully serviced by lifts. Our reception team operate daily throughout the year, looking after people from all corners of the globe, and the feedback we receive from our guests is good to excellent. We appreciate that your stay with us was not wholly satisfactory, and although the entire team mobilised to assist, we acknowledged that we could not provide you with the room you required, and apologised.

We wish to thank you for your comments. The entire team at Passfield take all customer feedback seriously, reviewing both our operation and training requirements accordingly.
Isle of Wight
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed overnight as we wanted to be close to London attractions. It's 45 years since I was in a Hall of Residence (University of Exeter) and I have to say my accommodation then was of a higher standard than Passfield Hall. I think the Travelodge would be a safer and more comfortable overnight stay than Passfield Hall, but at least they provide breakfast and a coffee or tea (if they have any mugs available and we had to share one!). Sorry, Passfield Hall, but you're OK for backpackers and students, but those of us wanting some creature comforts would want a little more.

Room Tip: Try to be in the main block.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed for one night, great location only 5 minutes walk to Euston Station with all transport links. Very quiet location. Rooms are very basic but what do you expect for £60 for two people in central London including breakfast!! Room and shower room were very clean and well kept. Would recommend for a cheap stay and i will be using this place again myself in the future.

• Stayed April 2013
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Good for what you pay for considering its location, but be prepared for a different type of stay than your average B&B or hotel. For some reason I had in my head that the typical resident would be mature students and old professors, but it was obvious when I checked in that the oppsite was the case - I was back in student land! I stayed in student residencies in the 70's and this place had a certain amount of nostalgia. The room was basic with a single bed and a wash-hand basin and was amazingly quiet considering the age of my neighbours who must have been very well behaved. The showers and toilets were communal at the end of the corridor but were exceptionally clean. Towels and basic toiletries were provided.
The piece de resistance was the breakfast. Refectory style, but superb quality which surpassed many many fry-ups I've had at more salubrious establishments. All in all good value for money and i would go again if in the area.

Room Tip: Bring your own TV if you are a TV addict! (They don't provide one in the room - but there is a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to LSE Passfield Hall? Share your experiences!