“Awful Hotel!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #425 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Awful Hotel!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Firstly upon arrival my room was not ready even though I had paid extra for an early check in. Then I had to collapse my sons pram and leave it downstairs as the lift is only big enough for one person to stand in. My room was not clean and I had an extractor fan outside my window which was letting off an awful smell so the window had to be kept shut. Then on the evening there was a wedding party right underneath my room and the music would not be switched off until midnight. Then finally when the music was switched off, music from a nightclub next door went on until 3am, so we got no sleep. On checkout in the morning I went into a relatives room, who had booked the same room as me and realised my room was half the size. So upon checkout I brought this to the receptionists attention but insisted they were the same room and charged me the same price! As we were about to leave we realised our car was blocked in and found out it was the managers car! We went to reception numerous times asking for the car to be moved but the manager was too busy. So we waited for a further 10 minutes and eventually the manager came and moved their car with hardly an apology. We were just grateful to leave this awful hotel. Would not recommend this to anybody!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Antoinette_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Wimbledon, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Dear LucyB,

My name is Alison and as the Guest Relations Manager of Antoinette Wimbledon, I must apologies for the issues you experienced. As you will see from previous reviews our feedback score is positive, and it is not our intention for any guest to leave feeling dissatisfied. Whilst the hotel endeavours to ensure rooms are ready for early arrival, an exact time cannot be guaranteed, and on this particular weekend many guests had requested an early arrival as they were attending a Wedding at the hotel. I am unsure why your pram did not fit in the lift, but would like to assure you that had you asked for assistance a member of the team would have taken the pram to your room. I have personally checked your reservation, and can confirm you received a preferential rate as a Wedding Guest, some of which were allocated bedrooms where there was residual noise from the Wedding as they were attending the event. I have now spoken to the Duty Manager regarding the incorrect parking of their vehicle and I’m glad this issue was resolved.

We would welcome the opportunity of welcoming you back to allow you to restore your faith in us and as such please contact me at guestrelations@antoinettehotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Annandale, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

The hotel is convenient to transportation, however it is built like a rabbit warren with lumpy floors (watch your step), the smallest lift I've ever seen, and poor placement of electrical outlets. One day we had no hot water and the management came to the door with a key and told us to go up a floor to another room and use that shower. We had no phone hook up the first day either. Although clean, for the extortionist price charged, I think the breakfast could have been provided, at the very least it could have been better. The shower stall filled with water and one had to wait to open the door for fear of flooding the bathroom. When we asked for an adjustment on the bill we were told the management was not available. So our local friend followed up and later we got a letter offering us a room upgrade the next time we stayed there. I don't think so.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Antoinette_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Wimbledon, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Dear Ahergen,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am pleased that you found the location convenient, and the housekeeping to a high standard.

I apologise for the inconvenience you experienced with the shower, which I understand was quickly rectified.

The hotel has been completed re-furbished since it's purchase in 2009, and all public areas and bedrooms designed for the convenience and comfort of our guests, and to meet the requirements of a four star hotel.

Our Full English and Continental Buffet Breakfast offering locally sourced products, is exclusive of our room rates allowing guests the freedom to choose this option during their stay.

I do hope that the next time you are visiting the area, you decide to take advantage of our offer made previously.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Check in was fast and efficient. Lobby was welcoming.

Room was clean, although could do with a lick of paint. The bed was comfortable. My room was at the back of the hotel, so very quiet. Rooms overlooking the street may be noisier?

Bathroom looked like it had recently been refurbished, all the sanitary ware was new, which was a pleasant surprise.

Breakfast was very good, and the service was speedy. Good value at £11.95.

As Wimbledon hotels go, this is probably the most central, which is why I chose it. It was less than 10 minutes walk form the station and 5 minutes walk from the start of the town centre shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Dear FlorenceOfArabia8,

Thank you for your valued positive feedback.

I am pleased that you found the housekeeping to be of a high standard, and location convenient for the station and the excellent shops at Centre Court.

Our beds are purchased from Hypnos the only company to supply beds to the Royal Family, and all rooms benefit from specialist double glazing to ensure a good night's sleep.

The hotel likes to ensure that our guests start the day with our Full English and Continental Buffet Breakfast which features fresh pastries, locally sourced products, and freshly brewed coffee.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

We were upgraded to one of the deluxe rooms upon arrival as a result of the standard rooms being oversold. We were completely jet-lagged and didn't do much exploring, but the hotel is about a 5-minute walk to Wimbledon station which gets you to Waterloo in about 15-minutes off-peak. Rooms were small (it's Europe) but clean and quiet as we were facing the back courtyard. A good option if you find yourself needing a place to stay in Wimbledon!

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the courtyard/parking lot.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Antoinette_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Wimbledon, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Dear Wroddick,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay in one of our Superior rooms which feature a king size bed and benefit from a private balcony, and that you found the room quiet and the housekeeping to a high standard.
I hope that should you be visiting Wimbledon again, that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.
Feering, Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

We didn't know what to expect when we booked at the Antoinette Hotel, this must be one of the best chain hotel we've stayed at. We usualy find chain hotels very sami & soal less.
The wellcoming staff at the reception desk are wonderfull - cheerfull, & helpfull.

Our stay here was a one off in the area to visit my nephew's fine art exhibition before he goes back to Malta. It's a pitty as I would have liked to stay here again. The hotel's restaurant looked very good & well priced but unfortunatly we run out of time to use it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Antoinette_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Wimbledon, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Dear FMBFeering,
Thank you for your positive feedback following your recent stay, which will be conveyed to the hotel team.
I am pleased that as an independent hotel, you found us better than chain hotels, and that the Reception team were welcoming and professional.
Hoping to have the opportunity of welcoming you back on another occasion.
Swindon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

Antoinette hotel Wimbledon

Quite honestly this hotel doesn’t really warrant event the single star rating I’ve given it as frankly it provided me with one of the worst ‘hotel’ experiences of my life.

I spend a considerable amount of time on the road with work, staying in hotels across the UK at least once or twice a month and have done so for about 10 years and I have never come across such awful customer service as I did the time I ‘attempted’ to stay at the Antoinette Wimbledon.

Due to work I didn’t arrive at the hotel until early evening whereby on check-in I was told they had double booked my room and that the reservations team had booked me into one of their sister hotels. Not once was I offered an explanation, nor an apology. I was given no information on the sister hotel, where it was, the facilities available or the room that they had booked me into. I was not offered a refund or discount on my stay. They had not contacted my company during the day to warn them there would be an issue and offer to discuss alternative arrangements. The only things they offered was a taxi (which they paid for) to transfer me to the sister hotel.

I say this quite a lot in my hotel reviews, but as a single female business traveller knowing I have a nice quality hotel, with good facilities in a decent location is quite important to me as I often finish work late, and need to plan the following days work, as well as sometimes arrange meetings/teleconferences for the evening as well. So I choose my accommodation very carefully. To find that I was being transferred from the hotel of my choice with no apology, and no information, was unbelievable. But it got worse… They gave the taxi driver the wrong hotel to go to and we arrived at their other sister hotel (not the one I’d been transferred to) to find they had no booking or knowledge of my stay (not surprising if they weren’t expecting me). Although they pointed the taxi driver in the right direction there was still no apology on behalf of the chain and no acknowledgement of the fact this was causing me some distress by this point.

I eventually arrived at the correct hotel over an hour later – several miles away from Wimbledon. I happen to be pregnant and wanted to be close to the offices where I was based so that I didn’t add to my commute the following day and if I’d wanted to stay outside of the Wimbledon area I would have booked a hotel.

I can’t tell you about the rooms – evidently as I didn’t get that far, but the reception area in both the Antoinette Hotels is incredibly dated, accompanied by rude and unhelpful staff who did not offer any information and were unable to answer basic questions about the situation. It was the Fawlty Towers of Wimbledon/Kingston. If John Cleese popped out from the dining room I wouldn’t have been surprised (in fact it might have actually improved my experience).

To be fair the actual hotel they transferred me to was lovely – the staff bent over backwards to accommodate me and resolve the issues and they were fantastic (Hotel Bosco). The hotel was smart and chic and the food excellent. It was much cheaper, and quite honestly the staff at the Antoinette hotels could learn a lot from their counterparts in Bosco. However I don’t know what the overall management arrangements are for the group, but evidently there are issues with their reservations team and the capability of staff at the Antoinette hotels to offer a professional and helpful customer service.

Would I attempt to stay here again and recommend it to others? Absolutely not – they would have to pay me to stay there. In 10 years this is by far the worst hotel I have had to deal with.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Wienette,

I am sorry to learn of the inconvenience you experienced, as a result of having to be transferred to the Hotel Bosco which is part of the same group of 4* hotels.

The hotel did try and contact you prior to arrival, to advise you that due to an error beyond our control, booking.com processed your reservation despite the hotel being closed for bookings, but was unable to do so on the number provided.

I understand from the Duty Manager at Wimbledon that the taxi company was given precise details of the location of Hotel Bosco, and please accept my apologise that they took you to the wrong hotel.

I appreciate your disappointment at not being able to stay in the hotel of your choice, but am pleased to learn that you found Hotel Bosco to be of a good standard, enjoyed the food, and found the staff friendly and professional.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Staff all friendly and helpful however the language of the staff wAs bad! They could not understand the room service menu and therefore ended up with the wrong food and wine! The rooms were basic but ok. Would not recommend a £133 per night. Best thing was the lovely italiN at the side of the hotel!

Room Tip: 405 overlooks rood garden could be noisy on a good night!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Antoinette_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Wimbledon, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
Dear

Der Princessdebsy,

Thank you for posting a review, as your feedback is appreciated.

I am pleased that you found the team friendly and helpful, but am sorry to learn that due to a communication issue your room service order was incorrect, and as such this will be addressed.

In order to obtain a star rating the hotel is regularly assessed, and during the last inspection was found to offer a high standard of décor and facilities, at a competitive rate for the area.

Been to Antoinette Hotel Wimbledon? Share your experiences!