“A different experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #69 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Hull
“A different experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed at the Sunborn London on the 15th and 16th June 2014 as we were going to see a concert at the O2. I did have some reservations after reading one review which stated that there was no transport to get back resulting in a long walk. However this is not true, the tube station is close-by and it was only two stops to the O2 albeit you have to change trains in-between. Technically this was very easy. Alternatively you can travel across on the cable cars as they are open until about 9pm but need to come back on train.
The room was very nice, comfy bed, tea and coffee machine and free wifi and tablet in the room. I did not eat in the restaurant so cannot say whether this is any good or not. As you are close to the City Airport it can be a little noisy if you have your windows open but I guess you are visiting London so would technically be out and about. As for noise from the planes, well as soon as my head it the pillow I was asleep so I didn't hear them. When windows shut it's not noisy.
There are a few places near the yacht to eat although a tad expensive for the food that they serve, but all in all it was a good experience and I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
SunbornLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Sunborn London, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Ms Hull,

Thank you for staying aboard Sunborn London!

We are happy to know that you found the commute feasible from the O2 to our hotel in the event you were going to a concert in the O2.

You are correct it is not far and very easy to get to with just one change which one will need to take on the Jubilee Line from North Greenwich to Canning town then Canning Town changing platforms to take the DLR to Beckton which is two stop.

I am happy to say in regards to the noise, the windows and doors here are aboard our hotel are sound proof and depending on which direction the plane is flying into London City Airport, the noise is not over bearing and shall I say little to none.

As you mentioned you went to see a concert in the O2. May I please suggest that in future when visiting London to contact me directly as we would be delighted to have you back as a guest and can let you know of the events happening here in London and in the local area.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Spent a night here as it was husbands birthday but I was also at at a conference at Excel.
The boat couldn't have been any closer to the entrance which was perfect and you feel very important being greeted by the security guards at the lifts to reception.
We were greeted by plenty of smiling faces behind the reception desk, waiting to help us.
My colleagues and I were able to store our bags till check in and my husband arrived.

I asked them to spoil my husband and I paid for a champagne and chocolates package. WELL, I was not disappointed, in fact they went so overboard my husband of 21 years thought his luck was well and truly in!! Towel craft swans and a giant heart made of rose petals were strewn across the bed. More petals were on the window sill, in the bathroom etc, fabulous.

The breakfast was extra but seriously worth it, great buffet selection and fresh fruit salads, pastries tea and coffee.

I can't recommend this hotel highly enough, maybe if they do upgrade to 5 star a pool would mean I would never leave!

Thank you for giving us a great experience.

Room Tip: get room with a balcony
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
SunbornLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Sunborn London, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying aboard Sunborn London and what great feedback to receive from you!

We cannot express our gratitude enough. As you mentioned you were at a conference at Excel, it bring us great comfort to know with other hotels being in the area you chose us and had a wonderful and fulfilling experience.

I would like for you to contact me directly, when you are next in London and considering to stay, as it would be our pleasure to have you and husband back at our hotel to enjoy some of the new services we have to offer.

I look forward to hearing from you soon

Kind and warm regards,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I booked this hotel for my boyfriends birthday as a suprise. I emailed the hotel in advance and they promised chefs tasters and an ice bucket on arrival. We travelled from birmingham thinking we would have chefs tasters when we got there, but nothing!! We went to reception and asked for these and still nothing so we went out!! When we got back there was an ice bucket , so back to reception where someone took the bucket from me then left me standing there for 10 mins till I complained! We had breakfast the following morning which was excellent. Upon returning to our room we fancied a coffee on the fancy machine but found out none of the plugs worked!! When we checked out we spoke to reception and they said tell us next time you visit!!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying aboard Sunborn London!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, apologizing for all the inconvenience caused during stay and would like for you to contact me directly so that we may further discuss these issues.

I look very forward to hearing from you soon.

Guest Relation Manager
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

If you are going to the O2 or ExCel and need to stay near Greenwich then this hotel is a novel choice. If however you intend to spend most of your time in central London then bear in mind that even by Boris’s fast boat it takes around 45 minutes to get there from this hotel.
When we stayed the hotel was having a soft opening which meant that some services were limited.
The extent of this was not pointed out either at the time of booking or when checking in.
We checked the website and the in-room tablet which said that room service was available from May 14 and as it was mid-July 14 when we stayed we cancelled our dinner plans and tried to order room service.
A very indignant lady said that there was no room service as “we are in the middle of a soft opening”.
Breakfast was very good with some very minor annoyances, such as no butter at the toaster, you have to ask and they then bring you enough for one slice of toast even when there are four of you sitting there with a stack of toast.
In terms of the rooms, sorry staterooms, they are quite spacious but again have some niggles.
The towel rail in the bathroom is not heated so towels don’t dry.
The extractor in the bathroom is useless so after a shower it takes hours for the steam to clear.
The walls are thinner than conventional hotels so unless you are on the top deck (5) you will hear people above you walking about.
The air conditioning is rather feeble, not managing to get the room temperature below 22
You may also want to ask for a room waterside rather than dockside as it will be quieter and the view nicer.
So in summary, if you need to be in Greenwich and fancy a novelty then go for it but having done it once I think that next time I’ll stay on land.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top (5th) deck facing the water not the dock.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Ms Jensen,

Thank you for staying aboard Sunborn London!

We apologise for the experience you have had during your stay aboard our hotel.

If I may, I would like for you to contact me directly as I would like to further discuss this with you.

Sincerely

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Really mixed feelings on this place following my visit at the weekend. My girlfriend and I visited the Sunborn last Friday and were impressed with the set up and the atmosphere, service, quality etc. We were so impressed that we invited my parents the following day as they are looking for a venue for a wedding anniversary party. After we paid for our drinks, we were approached by a large security guard who insisted, to our absolute shock, that we were tress passing. Confused and slightly irritated by this man, we questioned what he meant by "tress passing" as we had just bought a drink and were leaving anyway. The security guard escorted us off the boat. We were shocked. This man has let down the hotel, and clearly doesn't know what his job is meant to be. He was unapproachable and made disgusting and belittling comments to us as we left the boat. My parents are in their 60s and it goes without saying incredibly look innocent. This man is disgusting, and I hope he is identified quickly. For a new hotel, it is staff like this who will put people off. I phoned and complained immediately, but the duty manager was almost dismissive (it wasn't that busy), didn't take my contact details etc. We will be going back to make a formal complaint.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
SunbornLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Sunborn London, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Chris,

Thank you for staying aboard Sunborn London!

This is very a disturbing and unfortunate situation and I can guarantee this is not the behaviour we condone when working in a Service Industry or the impression we want guest to have of our hotel.

I am looking forward to discussing this with you further and will contact you in regards to this matter.

Sincerest apologise,

Usk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Booked the Sunborn as somewhere to stay after watching Monty Python at the O2. We travelled to London by train then crossed from Paddington by tube and DLR to Custom House stop. This was a short walk to the yacht. The area is lovely with a number of various restaurants and cafés. On entering the reception area at the yacht I was stunned it really is beautiful. The staff were welcoming, helpful and cheery. The room was big, clean and had the air of luxury about it! The bathroom was excellent and the shower powerful with lovely Molton Brown toiletries! The Sony tablet in the room was a nice touch.We had a drink on the deck at the rear of the yacht we were lucky to have beautiful sunshine! The city airport is close but once inside the yacht I didn't here it. The cable car is within easy walking distance and once over the other side the O2 is really close with excellent restaurants, you can also pick up a water bus over there which is excellent for seeing the sights from the river.
I can't recommend the Sunborn highly enough a great treat

Dear Hilary,
Thank you for staying aboard Sunborn London!
It seems you had quite a journey to get to us and from your review; it seemed to be very well worth it. We appreciate your kind feedback, and sharing your overall experience for viewers to reading about your stay at our hotel, and recommending it to others.

You were the treat!

We are looking forward to having you return as guests and would appreciate it if you could contact me when your reservation. I will be happy to make you aware of the events that are going on in our local area and around London.

magor newport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We saw Monty Python at 02. Hotel was a lovely treat, and quirky being on a boat. Friendly welcome from reception staff and room ready on time. 02 easy to get to via Emirates cable car and return on tube/dlr.

A few small service issues with slow bar service. Rooms are very comfortable, no issues. Breakfast was OK, but buffet style and not very hot.

Hotel in not yet officially open, so I am sure these issues will get ironed out. Would certainly use again if visiting the area.

Room Tip: If you book through Booking.Com rate might not include breakfast. Book direct with hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunborn London? Share your experiences!