“Best budget London hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyde Park Rooms Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Hyde Park Rooms Hotel
You added Hyde Park Rooms Hotel to your Saves list
137 Sussex Gardens | Paddington, London W2 2RX, England   |
Ranked #196 of 529 London B&B and Inns
jamiegrifter
“Best budget London hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

I have stayed at various Budget Hotels in Sussex Gardens, Paddington over the years they all are pretty much the same - dirty, crampt and run by rude staff! However Hyde Park Rooms is a totally different experience!
Carol is the perfect host - friendly, funny and willing to help out with any requests.
The rooms are "BIG" for central London with high ceilings and windows that open! - I've paid more for rooms where I can just about walk around the bed!
The furnishings are basic and carpets and curtains are not the most modern I have seen, but this place gets 10 out 10 for cleanliness.
Beds were comfortable with fresh clean linen.
My room had no bathroom but I never waited to use the shared bathroom on the next floor. The shared bathroom and toilets were always fresh and very clean whenever I used them.
Breakfast was more than enough to get me started in a morning, selection of cereals, as much toast as you can eat, egg and bacon, OJ, tea and coffee. the kitchen is just off the dining area and again it is obvious they have very high cleanliness standards here!
My only negative was that there were no tea & coffee facilities in the room. I'll take a travel kettle next time!
If you're looking to do London on a budget this place is perfect! There are so many dire hotels in this area and I was expecting the same here! How wrong could I be? Will definatley return and recommend to others!
Location is great,loads of cafes restaurants and all the major fast food restaurants short walk away. The tube is a few minutes walk away with direct tubes to Piccadilly.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

I stayed here for 4 nights at the end of May 2009 with my son. We were in for a short Memorial Day break and to see the Fulham v Everton match.

When I travel, I typically go cheap for rooms because we are out exploring from sun-up to late at night with about 6 sleeping hours in a hotel. A clean room and bed to sleep on is all I need.

Carole is such a lovely person and so very helpful. She charged my phone for me when we because I had not unpacked and our room was not ready (we arrived a bit early). I have to say I LOVE her humor and her warmth. We had a late afternoon flight home and she let us keep the bags at the hotel until we headed to the airport. THis let us get in an additional 6 hours of exploring without dragging around the bags.

The room was huge by London standards and clean and tidy. The bathrooms/shower was spotless every single time I used it. We onlyhad breakfast 1 morning but it was tasty and filling.

A good cheap rate for a good clean and comfy room with a wonderful hostess! I shall definately return to another stay! My son will be going over with his friend next year and they will (hopefully) stay with Carole if room is available.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

I just got back into town after staying at Hyde Park Rooms for a few nights. Carol was helpful and just a real pleasure to talk to. The rooms were spacious by london standards, except i had an ensuite and i found the washroom to be far too small. I'm slim build and i found it a bit cramped. I also found the shower to not be strong at all, just a gentle spray. However thankfully we don't spend all our time in the washroom, so these things can be overlooked. The room was warm, and I had a perfectly fine cooked meal every morning. The usual fare was served: coffee/tea, cereal, toast with jam or butter, and a fried egg, bacon. More than substantial to get you moving throughout your day. Best of all you can't beat the location for rail and underground. Paddington is such a key area to be based in if you plan to do a lot of day trips in and out of london (which is why i chose paddington area). This is not the Ritz, if you're looking for that you will need to look elsewhere as the rooms are a bit dated. But if you are fine with having a warm comfortable base, with a friendly host, a hot breakafast, great location, than you need to look no further.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

We stayed in a twin room with our own bathroom for 6 nights in September 2009. In planning for this London visit, I was aware we wouldn't be spending a lot of time in the room so what I wanted was basically a clean room where we could sleep soundly and a good location. This hotel met my expectations perfectly. As the manager said to us, this is a "no frills" hotel - for which I am very grateful as I wasn't interested in paying for fancy curtains, bedspreads and floor coverings. The room was clean and had what we needed (note, no fridge or air con), the bathroom was fine (but no soaps etc included). The rate included a fine breakfast of cereals, toast and freshly cooked bacon and eggs. The location was marvellous - right between two tube lines (Paddington on one line and Lancaster Gate the other) and a short walk to Hyde Park which was a wonderful place for a morning stroll- superb.Paddington is also a great place to return to after a hard day of sightseeing with plenty of bars and restaurants to wind down in. I would definitely stay here again. The only proviso I would make is that this hotel has a lot of stairs. Our room was on the 3rd floor up a very narrow stair case. This might not suit everyone.

Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

We spents total 6 nights in this hotel, Carole really gave us a great help.

Pros
1. Great location - 3 min walk from Paddington underground station
2. Great breakfast - Delicious and great coffee
3. Clean - Room, toilet and the corridor is very clean
4. Large room - it is large enough for 2 persons
5. Inexpensive - 65 pounds per night & breakfast included

Cons
1. No elevator
2. Toilet is small - hard to turn around inside

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

This is one of dozens of hotels/inns on the same block, located 2 blocks from Paddington Station (easy access to 3 Underground lines). There's a good selection of restaurants and pubs nearby. We were in #7, a double room on the third floor with a shared bath. Since there was no bath in the room, the room was bigger, so we weren't cramped at all. The carpet and furnishings were a bit run down, but everything was kept very clean. We overlooked the street, so road noise was a problem since we had the window open to stay cool. Had good wi-fi reception in the room. Breakfast was the same every day: cereal, toast, bacon, and fried egg. Bottom line--this is probably the best you can do in London proper for 55 pounds per night.

Everöd
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

We spent a total of nine nights at Hyde Park Rooms. The location is perfect, two minutes from Paddington station. We had a big room, two double beds. Everything was clean, well kept. The bathroom was clean. The breakfast was perfectly adequate. And then the landlady, Carole. What can we say more than: We miss you Carole, we will be back next time we visit London.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyde Park Rooms Hotel? Share your experiences!