“Perfect location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lord Milner

You added The Lord Milner to your Saves list
The Lord Milner
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 Ebury Street | Belgravia, London SW1W 9QU, England (Victoria)   |
Ranked #432 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Scotland
“Perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Husband and I stayed in the Lord Milner for one night only, on a brief trip to London, and I have to say I'm quite bemused by the more negative comments of other guests. Yes, the bathroom was quite small, but the building is a narrow Georgian terrace, right in the centre of London, so you can't expect acres of space. We stayed in a deluxe room - no poster bed, which would be nice! - and it was perfect for us. Well decorated, very clean (which is my biggest requirement), with the usual tea and coffee facilities. The water pressure in the shower was excellent, despite our being on the top floor; the room was so quiet, despite our overlooking the street (I couldn't believe how quiet it was, so close to Victoria Station); there was a wee fridge for your drinks (with some soft drinks provided, at added cost); large television... There is a lift, if you are incapable of carrying your bags, but this doesn't go to the top floor. If you need help with your bags, just ask - the staff were friendly, too. We did not have breakfast so I can't pass judgement on that, but it does have to be delivered to your bedroom as there is no breakfast room. I should imagine if I was staying here for any length of time that might start to grate but it's not an issue for one night. (We had our delicious breakfast at a wee cafe just up the street.) I would definitely return, which says it all.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Before heading out on our cruise around the British Isles, my husband and I needed a place to call "home base" for our 3 night stay. This was our first visit to London so I knew we wouldn't be spending much time in our room. Perfect location just minutes from Victorian Coach Station, restaurants and pubs. Comfortable, clean, lovely neighborhood.....perfect for what we needed. I would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Even though they had a lift, you still needed to go down a few stairs just to get to the lift. Not a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

The Lord Milner is well situated near Victoria Station and was a handy overnight stop for us as we moved from one leg of our journey to the next. The neighborhood is wonderful and it's an easy walk to several popular attractions and shopping areas. Security is good as one has to ring to be admitted, although standing on the stairs with bags in the rain explaining that you have a reservation and would please like to come in doesn't always start the visit off on the best note. We almost felt like we were intruding or a bit of a nuisance. The lobby is very pretty. Our room was down stairs to the lift, a ride up in the lift, and up a flight of stairs from where the lift left us off. We both had heavy suitcases and there was no really help with luggage. The lady who showed us to our room looked back when she heard the grunting on the stairs up and asked "Oh, did you need help?" and took my husband's small carry on bag for the last part of the climb. Usually, I don't need help, but I had been book shopping. I managed, but it was a struggle. I understand if you don't have people to help with bags, but please warn me that it's a climb. I would have left my book bag in the lobby and come back for it. If you have mobility issues or need help with bags, I would let the hotel staff know in advance so your room doesn't require the extra stairs.

The room itself was a good size, quiet, very clean and nicely decorated. The bed is comfortable as was the room temperature. The bathroom was large and had a big tub/shower combination. The step over the tub was a bit high, so, again, if you have some limitations that is something to keep in mind. The safe is also in an awkward location at the bottom of the closet. When my husband had trouble locking the safe, someone came up to help immediately, and even she laughed at it's location. It's a little dark to read the instructions, but once it's all set up it's simple. The usual tea making supplies were on a tray and were a welcome sight! I wish American hotels would adopt this feature. Breakfast is offered but we didn't partake as we had a train to catch. The staff were generally pleasant and kindly called us a taxi upon check-out. We were able to take a peek into the garden room as they had just finished preparing it and it was gorgeous. We just stayed overnight so maybe we didn't have enough time to appreciate this hotel. It was fine and I wouldn't count it out if we ever needed to stay near Victoria again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hawkshead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I stayed for one night in the single room, so my review only based on this experience and imagine other rooms may well be much better.
The room is tucked away behind the reception area, through a very awkward door configuration that in an emergency may well cause panic - the room whilst small was adequate for one, but not if you were planning on having Breakfast in your room as there was no where to put a tray down except on the bed. The tiny bathroom was fine again for one, the bed was a comfortable double.
The air con unit is positioned so high up the wall that my 5'1" self had great difficulty in managing to operate it, and being on the ground floor the window appeared to be locked. When I did get it to work and cool air being blown, after about 10 minutes I had to switch it off as the whole room smelled of sewerage. I decided to have a rest after a busy day before heading to a function in the evening, switched off the Air-con because of the smell and noticed a beeping noise every 4 minutes, it went on all the time, I unplugged the phone and everything I could see but it still beeped, luckily I had some earplugs with me for nighttime.
In the entrance lobby there was a distinct smell of cigarette smoke, the kind you used to get before the smoking ban came in when fabrics held that aroma long after the smoker had moved on.
Overall, I would give them another go because the position and price were excellent. But I would not choose the single room again and should say that nothing was that bad that I made a complaint it was just not great.

Room Tip: Don't choose the single
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Bradenton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Far from a five star. I had eight day reservation and checked out after three days. Even with elevator there were steps to take. Only one very narrow staircase with a room or two on each landing. First room (so-called deluxe) at top had outside concrete decoration blocking windows so they had to open in special way to let firemen try to extract you in emergency. Second room had torn and stained carpets. Bathrooms barely large enough to turn around in and no place on sink to place items. Personnel (2) were pleasant. Nice area. Maybe it's a 3 1/2 star if you're not claustrophobic.

Room Tip: Only had two rooms. First was claustrophobic and scary if an emergency. Second was seedy. Do not acc...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Beautiful little hotel close to Victoria Station yet a very quiet location. We had the Lord Milner room which overlooked the street and heard absolutely nothing. The room we had was spacious and well furnished. The bathroom was cleverly and thoughtfully designed. Check in and check out was friendly and efficient with no snootiness that you may find with some other establishemnts in the area. The rate is room only but for £8.50 each you can have a generous continental breakfast served in your room. The stairs are quite steep but that's nota problem as there is modern get tastefully designed lift serving the upper floors. I would have no hesitation in returning to the Lord Milner.

Room Tip: I would go for the larger rooms. You pay a few extra shillings but worth it.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Was very dubious at first when booking because it was a B and B usually we stay in hotels when visiting London, however I will definitely be returning here! On arrival from Victoria station was very easy to find and within walking distance. We stayed in the city room for three nights and it was all we needed. Very comfy bed and well decorated, bathroom was lovely black marble and the whole room was clean and always fresh towels and new sweeties at side of bed after long day walking around and sightseeing! At night time you could hear no traffic or any noise from within the hotel. We ordered breakfast one morning which was delivered to us right on time the usual continental style or fry up! Had no problems checking in or out and all staff very helpful, look forward to returning!

• Stayed February 2014

Been to The Lord Milner? Share your experiences!