“Another fabulous Shangri-La hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Room with a View
Ranked #165 of 1,065 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Another fabulous Shangri-La hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed in Shangri-La hotels in KL and Shanghai and this is another hotel with outstanding standards, facilities and great staff. Delicious tea served on arrival in our bedroom, well thought out bedroom Views from our 50th floor bedroom were stunning but views into neighbouring bedroom was also very good!!!
I was disappointed that the swimming pool was not yet opened, but the small but well equipped gym had the same amazing views - super cool to take a jog with the London panorama.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Tippyleaf,

Thank you for your review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We too are sorry that the pool was not ready during your visit, it will open on 11th August, we hope to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London so that you can experience it once it opens.

Darren Gearing, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Turkish first
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

From the views to the attention to detail that Shangri la hotels always have this was an exceptional stay! The staff were extremely attentive and very friendly. Unlike the last reviewer, I loved the toiletries and breakfast was delicious!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear meascott27,

Thank you for your recent review of Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London. I am delighted that your stay with us was “exceptional” and will pass on your kind praise to the whole team. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My husband and I and our 9 year old son enjoyed a three night stay in early July. The location was ideal for our needs with easy Tube access and a short walk to the Tate Modern. Ground floor staff usually greeted us warmly when entering/leaving the lobby. They were helpful with luggage and hailing cabs. We did stand a few times at the upper level lobby concierge desk waiting for someone to man the station. It didn't necessarily slow us down too much, but I would expect it to always be attended to at a hotel at this price point.

The room had every amenity needed and was tastefully decorated in a modern style with Asian touches. The bathroom was well stocked, but I found the fragrance of the Acqua di Parma products too strong and masculine. In fact, I went out and bought something 'fresher and lighter' to use during the stay. I would have preferred London based company products too - maybe Moulton Brown. The bed was very comfortable with adequate room light. Even with a roll away bed for my son, we still had space to use the sofa and chair during room service. Speaking of room service, the food was excellent and arrived in a timely fashion. However, the table set up took much too long. I appreciate knowledgeable staff, but when it's close to midnight, I just want the table set up without a long explanation of each and every item on the tray - no need really to point out the ketchup bottles for the chips. We didn't eat in any of the restaurants so I can't speak to the food/service in them. From afar TING looked to have amazing views.

We enjoyed the TV in the bath mirror and the Toto washlet system. The one drawback to it, however, every light in the bathroom had to be on for it to work. Seems like some sort of electrical kink that needs to be worked out during the hotel's opening months. Also, my son was excited about using the website promoted roof top pool - that wasn't to be, as we informed at check-in that it wouldn't open until August :(

Overall, our room had spectacular views - especially at night when the city was lighted. The service was very good with a few flaws here and there. At other 5 star/luxury hotels, staff quickly learn guest names. The sense of 'care and concern' such recognition brings wasn't apparent here. I sensed staff was anxious to do things right but didn't always have enough experience or knowledge of the hotel/area to be 100% confident in doing their jobs...nothing more experience/training can't fix.

Even though there are some customer service and facility issues to be addressed, I will definitely consider the Shangri-La for my next trip to London.

Room Tip: Even a supposedly 'smaller' room because it was on 50th floor had more than enough square fo...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear CAMJDR94,

Thank you for reviewing Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London. I am glad to know that your overall stay with your family was an enjoyable one but I do apologise that there wasn't a member of the concierge team available on the occasions that you needed them, I have passed on this comment to ensure it does not happen again. I am delighted that the room service you received was “excellent”.

We hope to see you and your family again in the not so distant future.

Bushey, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We had booked a city view and was not disappointed. Our room was amazing, as you would expect for the money. Only two small negatives. We only had three pots of milk for our coffee and tea, also I would have liked a mirror in the bedroom, as I like to sit down and put my make up on and not stand in bathroom. The breakfast was nice cooked English and a help yourself, as one can only describe as miniature pastries, yogurts and fruit. The staff were very pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: The city view is best so I believe. I think if you have a room on the other side it looks on to a ho...
Dear Diane M,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay and thank you for the feedback regarding the in room mirror and the milk, I will pass on your comments to the management team. I am delighted that you found all of the staff to be “pleasant and helpful”.
I hope to welcome you back to the Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London in the future.

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

I booked a Deluxe City View room for 2 nights to celebrate my partner's birthday. We arrived about 90 mins before the official 3pm check in time in the hope that our room would be ready so that we could settle in, change and head out for a spot of lunch. Unfortunately, our room wasn't ready and we ended up leaving our luggage with reception. The weather wasn't as warm as I had expected and needed to retrieve a jumper from my case before leaving for lunch. My only criticism is that there are no changing facilities - just a single disabled toilet tucked away at the back of the coffee bar which even after a 10 min wait remained occupied. Having given up, I ended up having to resort to opening my case in the main lobby area and changing in a less than private environment.....not ideal!
As you enter the hotel, the lobby area smells really welcoming with a clean oriental feel. We were shown to our room which was amazing on the 49th floor and left to take in the views and luxurious surroundings. As a gesture, the staff had arranged a plate if fruit and cake for my partner which was a lovely touch. The view from our room was over Guys Hospital taking in the London Eye, Westminster, and the Tate but not far enough around to see Tower Bridge.
The bathroom was a bit tricky having to remember to drop the blinds in fear of the room next door or above being able to see in!!!! (We had been made aware of this).
We used the Gong Bar twice and had a lovely corner table on our first visit so that we were able to take in the night time views over the city.
All in all, a lovely hotel and would recommend for a special treat as it isn't cheap....but well worth a visit!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear 1VC,

I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted to know that your overall visit to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London was a pleasant one and in particular both of your visits to GONG.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Best regards,

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

A fantastic visit this weekend for my partner's birthday. Service and attention from everyone we encountered was second-to-none throughout. Yes the views are incredibly impressive, but they were matched (in my opinion) by the effort of the hotel staff and the 'little touches' throughout our stay.

We stayed on the 46th floor overlooking the City. Great views, very comfortable room. The flowers and birthday cake for my partner were well appreciated too. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel to anyone and we'll definitely be returning again.

Dear IanT_81,

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to hear that you had such a great stay to celebrate your partner’s birthday. I will pass on your praise to the whole team.

We hope to welcome you back to the Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London in the future.

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stayed one night here recently. Directed to the 35th floor reception and stood there like a lemming looking at two empty reception desks. A couple of minutes later a staff member arrived to check me in. Not a great start. Couldn't fault the room on the 45th floor nor the view. Every conceivable need is looked after in regards to ammenities in the room itself. Bed and pillows very comfortable and a bathroom that was giggly good. But what on earth is the story with the carpet choice ? Cheapens the entire setting. So too the lack of attention to the ambeint air temperature in the common areas. I never thought I 'd work up a sweat waiting for a lift. Had a cocktail or 2 at GONG. Again pretty good but for the insincere and somewhat rude lady running the front door. Tall English lass from up North. As with the carpet in the room what is with the fake tea lights? If you can't have candles becasue of fire regulations (my guess) why bother trying to create an atmosphere with 1 GBP knockoffs? The two serving staff members we dealt with were superb. Dora and William. Check out the next morning was slower and more laborious than check in.....All up was it worth paying £500 for the experience? (that was just for the room and nothing else) Not so sure it was.

Dear nw05250,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that your check-in and check-out experience was slower than usual, I have passed these comments on to the team.

I am delighted that Dora and William were “superb” and will be sure to pass on you kind comments to them both.

We hope that we may be able to welcome you back in the not so distant future.

Darren Gearing, General Manager

Been to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London? Share your experiences!