“Not recommended..” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN London Highbury

You added BEST WESTERN London Highbury to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN London Highbury
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   374 Seven Sisters Road, London N4 2PG, England (Formerly Costello Palace Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #512 of 1,049 Hotels in London
“Not recommended..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a triple room at ground floor for 5 nights, room is clean and relatively bigger than those at central London. The bed is clean and comfy but the room environment is not condusive for good night rest after a tired visiting.

The hotel is quite a walking distance from the nearest tube station (Finsbury Park). The building is facing the park and is right in front of a main road with a traffic light. You can literally hear the street noise and the blinking sound of the traffic light.

There is no wardrobe, you have to hang your clothing at the wall. No blackout curtain, the building spotlight shine into the room. The bright room and noise at street didnt give us a good rest. For the amount that we pay, we could have opted for a better hotel. We like Best
Western chain, but i would not return to this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014
Peter N, General Manager at BEST WESTERN London Highbury, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear Spkoh

Thank you for your review of The Best Western London Highbury.

I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your 5-nights' stay with us and you found our room clean and the size to your liking.

I have noted your comments, mainly about the room facilities and the hotel's surrounding. Whilst many of our guests' usually request our well-known park-facing rooms, we do also have quieter rooms that are over-looking our car-park, however, my sincere apologies this was not offered to you upon arrival which had resulted in a disrupted nights' sleep.

All our rooms are unique here at the Best Western Highbury and I am delighted to inform you the facilities provided to hang one's clothing are 55cm in length and is deemed sufficient for our guests.

Our hotel is located right in the middle of Finsbury Park Station and Manor House Station and is literally a 6-8 minutes walk or a 2-minute bus ride. We had since done an audit of all our black-out curtains following your valuable comments.

I do sincerely hope that we will see you again, and have the opportunity to show you how great The Best Western London Highbury truly is.

Kindest Regards

Best Western London Highbury

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I was staying here for 11 nights with work. My room was changed 4 times in 4 days without my knowledge while I was out at work. My belongings which I had hung up/folded had been stuffed in my bag during the move and my phone charger was also lost on one of the moves. When I complained about this, I was given a different phone charger to use but was told I had to return it when I had charged my phone?!?! Continental breakfast only which can get a little boring! Overall A very poor experience. I don't plan on using this particular hotel again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Peter N, General Manager at BEST WESTERN London Highbury, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear beckyf

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us.

Whilst I am pleased to learn you stayed with us for 11 nights, I am most concerned to read of your disappointment with our front-of-house team. We work hard to deliver a warm and friendly service which many of our guests have come to enjoy here at Best Western Highbury.

I believe your experience was a "one off" and we will take this on the chin and review the flow of communication between the agent, us as the hotel, as well as our guests, to ensure no future re-occurrences.

Moreover, I have scrutinized our internal procedure and can confirm that all angles were covered when it comes to gaining your approval and moving your belongings whilst you were not in the room.

My utmost apologies that your charger was misplaced during the room move, and as recovery, we cordially offered to replace it, only now to realized this gesture was wrongly mis-interpreted.

Our continental breakfast spread had been the ‘talk of the town’ and being described as plentiful in terms of quantity and selections but I am disappointed to learn this is not the case for you but rest assured we have taken your comment on-board and we will be re-visiting the buffet options in the near future.

We do sincerely hope that we will see you again, and have the opportunity to show you how great Best Western Highbury truly is.

Yours sincerely

Dereham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We booked a double room, but it was a double bed squeezed into a single room. The bed had been pushed up to a wall so that you could open the toilet door, and even then, the door could not fully open. It was a very tight squeeze. On the plus side, the bed was comfortable enough. Breakfast was included but wholely inadequate in my opinion. It consisted of rubbery croissants, dried up ham and little bowls of tinned grapefruit, along with toast and cereal too. We stay in best western often, and this hotel really let the brand down. However, it was just a short tube ride from central london so that suited our needs. I couldnt honestly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SharronJ2014

Thank you for sharing your review following your recent visit.

I was very sorry to read that you did not fully enjoy this stay with us. Whilst we often receive positive comments about our rooms being clean and bright, however I do understand that everyone has different needs and perspectives in determining a good comfortable room.

In addition, I apologized that you felt your room was cramped. We offer a number of different room sizes so please mention that you would prefer a larger room when next making a booking with us, we will, subject to availability, allocate a more spacious room.

I was very disappointed to read your comments about our buffet breakfast spread, for which, I would like to sincerely apologize that it is not up to your expectations. In general, we do receive very complimentary feedback about our breakfast being nutritious and plentiful; please be assured your comments have been taken on board and reviewed as part of our improvement project for 2015.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back and restore your faith in the Best Western Highbury.

Kindest Regards,

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.
The room was tiny, there was no wardrobe, we had to hang our clothes up on the wall.
The walls in the room needed painting as they had black marks on them.
No bath, just a shower in a tiny bathroom.
The cups were not clean, they had coffee stains on both the inside and outside of the cup.
The mattress had a big dent in it, which effected my partners sleep.The mattress was also filthy with a huge stain on it. You would think with all the money the hotel has they would purchase a new mattress!
We could hear the people next door talking like as if they were in our room. My partner and I were watching tv until 2am which wasn't even loud and we had the people next door banging on the wall!
I wouldn't stay here again.
I actually think it was overpriced for what we got.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Lou M

Thank you for your invaluable feedback following your recent stay with us.

First and foremost, I am sorry to learn that you found our rooms not spacious enough. Each and every room is individually decorated and the layout and to a lesser extent the room size can vary from one to another within each room category.

I have noted your comment about drawer and storage space and we regularly look to see what we can do to increase storage space. We also have larger rooms that you can upgrade at a supplement, however, my apologies this was not offered to you during check in.

Due to the structure and design of the building, each room are best equipped with a standing shower.

Both the Maintenance Manager and Executive Housekeeper join me in apologising for the lapse of service on their part, mainly, the black marks, coffee cups and mattress quality which were not to your expectations and rest assured, these issues had been resolved and a stricter procedures of checks implemented, following your valuable feedback.

In addition, the hotel had recently conducted a bedding audit as we believe at the end of the day, we are in the 'sleep' business and it is extremely vital our guests' enjoy a good night rest.

Please be assured our reception desk is manned 24-hours and should any of our guests may have any issues whilst staying with us, we will be more than happy to attend to them.

We regularly price check ourselves against equivalent standard of hotels and we do believe we offer exceptionally good value for the prices charged. This is validated by many guests who chose to return to stay with us year after year.

Please rest assured that each point you've raised has been discussed in detail with my management team and we are committed to ensuring we rectify all issues in order to avoid future re-occurrences.

We very much hope that you will consider allowing us to find another room to suit when you next travel to London.

Thank you.

Kindest Regards,

Hull, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Booked this last minute as a business trip got extended. Was not really impressed. I had a single room, however it was REALLY small and was like it was decorated 30 years ago. It felt like I was staying in someone's spare room. Very friendly and helpful staff though.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Peter N, General Manager at BEST WESTERN London Highbury, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Mr RyanS

Thank you for your review of The Best Western London HIghbury hotel

I have noted your comments about the size of your room and am sad that it was not to your expectations, we did allocate you the best rooms we had available at the time, sadly as we were fully booked we were unable to offer you any suitable alternative. All our rooms are unique here at the Best Western Highbury and I am sure that, had occupancy allowed we would have found something suitable to your liking.

On the other hand, I was very happy to read that you enjoyed the service delivered by our team; they do constantly try our best to exceed all our guests’ expectations every time.

We very much hope that you will consider allowing us to find another room to suit you when you next travel to London.

Yours sincerely

Oudenbosch, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

The hotel is not located in the city centre, but the Underground is very close by, so you can travel to the city centre in about 15 minutes.
The room and bathroom were a bit small and there were no closets to put your stuff, but it wasn't that big of deal since we were only in the hotel for sleeping and showering. The room has a safe, so you can put your valuable stuff away safely. However, the room and bathroom were very clean and tidy.
The hotel also has a car park where you can park your car for 10 pound a day.
All in all, this hotel is perfect for a city trip to London and great value for money.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Dominica86

Thank you for your review of The Best Western London Highbury hotel

I was very happy to read that you found us value for money and enjoyed your stay with us.

My housekeeping team were delighted to hear your positive comments about their hard work; they do constantly strive to exceed all our guests’ expectations and it is truly what sets us apart from our competitors.

I do sincerely hope that we will see you again, and have the opportunity to, once again,show you the Best Western Highbury hospitality, from the heart.

With warmest wishes

Best Western London Highbury

Been to BEST WESTERN London Highbury? Share your experiences!