“Very clean but tiny rooms, great central location.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wardonia Hotel

Save Saved
You added Wardonia Hotel to your Saves list
Wardonia Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   46-54 Argyle Street | Kings Cross, London WC1H 8ER, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Ranked #498 of 1,075 hotels in London
“Very clean but tiny rooms, great central location.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

The good: We got a very clean first floor room, a very clean bathroom that's not the size of a shoebox, lots of tea and coffee sachets and a small and clean electric kettle, free wifi that's good enough for video Skype calls. The room has a heater, good for colder days. It's hard to argue about location being about 100m or so from Kings Cross Station and plenty of relatively inexpensive and quick food options around like Wasabi, Leon & MnS Food etc. The tv aired freeview channels only. Despite leaving windows open throughout the day and night (it was a warm summer day) and being near busy Euston Road, it wasn't noisy that we couldn't sleep. But do expect some urban buzz early in the morning.

The not so good:
The room is rather tiny, which would be problematic for those with large suitcases. There are no lifts in the building so you'd have to lug your luggage up some narrow but carpeted stairs. The rather narrow double bed (140cm width) came with a duvet (not brown hotel blankets) but the mattress had sagged in the middle.

Else, this hotel is ok for a night or two at most as it isn't going to be comfortable for anything longer.

• Stayed September 2013

638 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Wardonia is a budget hotel so you have to have reasonable expectations. As an actor / writer I am in, out and around London accommodation a great deal and can recommend the Wardonia for the following reasons (based on my recent stay when I had a single room):

1. The room had everything I needed (en suite), was very clean and everything worked well.
2. It's location (3 mins from Kings Cross St Pancras) is unbeatable yet quite quiet.
3. Value for money. (I am more than happy to stay in such a room in London in August for £55).

Families, the elderly or people with a lot of luggage may find they would appreciate a lift (there are only stairs) and possibly a little more space, but compromise on those things are where the savings are made. For a clean, efficient and comfortable hotel in a fantastic location at a very good price, Wardonia is ideal.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed here for the location alone, but i wouldn't return. I know not to expect much from budget hotels, especially in expensive cities, but this place is odd. There are only stairs, and the narrow winding staircases become hazardous with anything bigger than overnight bags. For some reason, we were the only people with bigger luggwge so the rest must have known! We were put in the basement, and the good part was the room was quiet. The rooms are extremely basic, and the photographs of the bathroom are skillfully taken, as they are actually tiny. I have not seen a tinier sink. The shower itself was fine and the best part of the whole experience.

We arrived in the morning after a longhaul flight, only to be told that check in was at 2pm. The young lady was not forthcoming with any further details, such as where we could leave our luggage or even interested in taking any details. It was very clear that we were irrelevant until 2pm. They have a luggage room but i had to ask if i could use it and also where it was. As with all luggage facilities, you use them at your own risk, but at this place the luggage room is unlocked, unattended to(except by guests) and in the general corridor. Just be aware.

The other staff were civil or cordial, but i have never seen such disinterested service.

Clearly it doesn't matter, as it is cheap and close to St Pancras.

Stayed August 2013
Tauranga, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed five nights, and were given a 3rd floor attic room (very small - the bed was only 40 inches across which is not even a double). No assistance offered to carry / drag our bags up the three flights of very narrow stairs. There are no surfaces to put anything, so difficult to unpack. Ensuite very small - you had to leave the door opened (which was jammed against the bed) to dry after your shower.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights , most of the staff were very nice always had a smile , the Reims were nice but hot .

However my experience was taughted by the events that occurred upon my check out .
I checke out early and settled my bill , the next day a lady from there calls me to say they have tried to take money out of my account as I haven't settled my bill , she was very rude and I had not given them permission to take money out of my card as I had stated when I first checked in , that I will be paying cash , my card is just for security yet they tried to take a payment , I then ha to take a taxi to te hotel to try clear up the situation , and the women at the desk was very dismissive , she apologiesed but you could tell it was just to get me to leave . Ruined my stay ...
26-th August 2013 room 401 and 215

• Stayed August 2013
lisburn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

we booked into the wardonia sat 17th sept for arsenals first match(that's another story) there was 4 of us,we were told we were not staying in the hotel as there was 4,however the hotel owns several appartments 3 min walk away,what a good deal.it was a self catering apartment sleepn 4 tv cooker/oven fridge freezer shower box great little location for center of London.if you have a family great location,great cooking facilities if you want to cook in ,supermarkets near by,pub food good near by £10,50 steak,chips and pepper sauce in pub around corner.just across road from st pancras Euston rd.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights. Room was small but was ideal for what we wanted. Clean towels , comfy bed. Tea and coffee . Hair dryer in room . Good location . Nice pub next door . Lovely food and not over piced . Would stay here again staff friendly

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Wardonia Hotel? Share your experiences!