“Average standard with good location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Opulence Hotel

You added Opulence Hotel to your Saves list
Opulence Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   47 Gloucester Place, Off Baker Street, London W1U 8JE, England (Marylebone)   |
Ranked #978 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Angelholm, Sweden
“Average standard with good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The hotel is placed 10min walking from Baker Street station, or 15min with bus from Victoria (bus stop just outside the hotel). So it is easy to get access to the hotel, even with suitcases. The hotel is a small hotel with 14 rooms. I got room number 1, which means 78(!) stair steps until I reached the room. So be careful booking this hotel if you are staying for a long time and have a heavy suitcase. I only stayed one night, but by going up and down a couple of times you get tired. The breakfast is standard english with mainly white bread. But a very nice chief who arranged both omeletts and scrambled eggs. I paid £120 for a single room which is "cheap" for London, so despite the stairs I still would recommend the hotel. After all you only have 5min waking to oxford street which is lovely.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Carlsbad, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I too booked with Expedia with the "secret hotels" (my first time using them instead of Hotwire). I won't do that again. We stayed in an upstairs room,(I had recently had knee surgery, and the steep stairs were a real problem. Staff were nice. Breakfast not included. Rooms very cramped. Bathtub very hard to get in and out off (even without a bad knee). TV broke on the last night - they did ask if we wished to take another room but by that time it wasn't worth it.

Room Tip: I should have requested a room on a lower floor but didn't think to do so. I"d recommend t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Our experience can be echoed by other reviewers. Courteous staff member showed no surprise when we said that we would not be spending a second night there! This must be a regular occurrence! The health and safety of the place needs attention on several fronts, I would say. We were on a high floor and there was no lift. We could hear conversations from guests beside above and below. We weren't impressed when we had live guitar music around midnight from a guitarist in the building. There was clean bedding and a shower and they were the reason we stayed on the first night. The other features, with nails sticking up from floor, the dust, the ripped valance, the long trip inducing curtains, the ill maintained shower and fusty smell made it a disconcerting experience. Do Expedia etc really rubber stamp such 4 star claims? Seemingly, yes!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We also booked via the Expedia 'Secret Hotel' deal and I felt very foolish when I read the very critical reviews and appreciated I did not have an opt out. I suspect Expedia have some disappointed and disenchanted clients, especially when initial descriptions are for 'breakfast included' but booking confirmation is for accommodation only. My very limited expectations were however more than met but I think we were fortunate to occupy a large room (Windsor suite) on the ground floor at the back of the hotel. We found the reception staff efficient and courteous. The room was clean and in good condition although its decorative style, think late Victorian French bourgeoise and regional art gallery might not suit conventional anglo saxon tastes. We were told breakfast, which needs to be ordered would be served in ones room. This is certainly not what most people would think of as a 4* hotel but for anyone prepared to accept, and appreciate, a conveniently located (presumably listed) Georgian building, if keen prices are available I think it should not be ruled out just on the basis of past reviews. It would be interesting to see whether other hotels in the area are to be preferred, I suspect much comes down to the room one ends up with

Room Tip: This is a Georgian building. Rooms at the rear will be quieter, those on the first two floors have l...
Lord Howe Island, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We booked a "secret hotel" deal and ended up with this hotel. We weren't sure what to expect because of all the terrible reviews, however we quite enjoyed our stay at Opulence. There is no lift, and we were on the top floor, so getting your bags up there was very difficult. The room faced out onto the main road so there was constant traffic making it very noisy, and no air con or fan, so we had to keep the window open for some fresh air and just deal with the noise. Getting into the shower/bath tub is actually quite dangerous - it is a big slippery step with no where to hold, so I would not recommend for an elderly couple.
We also booked because the advertisement stated "breakfast included", however when we received our itinerary it said breakfast would be a surcharge. We took this up with the company we booked through, and they were happy to reimburse us for any breakfasts we ate at the hotel. However, we read the poor reviews about their breakfast so ate out each morning. Apart from these issues, the staff were very friendly and were more then happy to help us out with any enquiry! We probably wouldn't stay there again but we would recommend for a budget hotel.

Yucaipa, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

this hotel has been remodelled recently. this is a typical home from 19th century which was converted to bed and breakfasts in the 60's. they renovation overall is nice but BEWARE-NO LIFT-so if you get a room higher than the ground floor you are schlepping it up nearly 100 steps. The staff helped with luggage but space is cramped and narrow and a tough climb. NOT RECOMMENDED for the faint of heart. Also, even though this is typically a B and B, Breakfast is not included in your room rate regardless of what is advertised on the internet. Staff was overall friendly but can't overcome the type of building this is, small rooms, no shower space to speak off and a very, very long haul up the stairs...

Room Tip: something on the ground floor if possible
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The place looks nothing like the internet photos. We had confirmed bookings and had even paid but when we arrived no room and no idea what to do with us. They offered a quad room in earls court instead of two doubles that we booked.
I had to book elsewhere - be warned they are happy to take your money buts that's about it. Been promised a full refund so should I start holding my breath now?

How did this place get 4 stars?????

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Opulence Hotel? Share your experiences!