“Space is at a premium but the grill is outstanding.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hoxton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hoxton Hotel to your Saves list
Hoxton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81 Great Eastern Street, London EC2A 3HU, England (City of London)   |
Ranked #57 of 1,075 hotels in London
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Space is at a premium but the grill is outstanding.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I've stayed at the Hoxton several times in the last couple of years always through busines (sadly). However I've had a great opportunity to see the hotel in reasonable detail.

The bar area is seamlessly fused with the lobby and is surprisingly popular with "locals" not just guests and there is a fairly trendy, affluent "City" feel. This is Shoreditch and let's be honest you will not find the atmosphere quite as down to earth as you might up the road in Islington (during the week at least). The vibe is about successful, aspiring, stylish youth and you may spot the odd celeb in there too from time to time. And in a way I guess this is the target demograph.

While I accept this hotel has worked hard to cultivate something stylish and is relatively unique with the product it offers I guess the thing for me is when I'm travelling for work I like to have as much space as I can get as the room substitutes for my home. That's where the Hoxton is a bit of a let down for me. I won't dispute the rooms are stylish and adequate for a short stay for someone on vaccation but as someone who frequently has to work in their room during a trip they're a bit on the small side and quite dark. The rooms have dark wood furnishings and a really dark bathroom (I mean ceiling to floor dark tiles - sorry, this has just never been my thing - nor is the complimentary Pears soap for that matter :-).

I also enjoy a good breakfast and the paper bag with a yogurt, banana and juice is a let down. I know they have the bacon sandwiches and the full service (if you have the time). Again the problem for me is that I'm working; I don't have the facility to stop off for take away then eat it at a desk and the service breakfast I am reliably informed is quite slow. Now if I was enjoying a relaxing city break this would probably be fine as I'd head out for the day and take breakfast at leisure somewhere.

The highlights of this hotel however are the staff and the restaurant. The staff are friendly and helpful and there is a casual ambience at reception that is really welcoming. I've eaten in the Grill a number of times, the food is unpretentious and honest and it's really good! The slow cooked beef ribs are the highlight but the slaw is surprisingly good as well!

Overall, the Hoxton is good for for couples or small groups of friends having a short break and looking for a location just a bit less cliched than "Up West". Breakfast isn't great but dinner is super (in a casual way). It's convenient for a lot of businesses operating near Liverpool Street for the business traveller. But I really feel it's better suited to flying business visits than a week long project for example and not great for anyone who has to work from their rooms in the evening. As with most other people, the fresh milk in the fridge in the room and the bottles of water are a great touch. However the Pears soap - noooooo!

By the way, for any romantic men out there, if you want to surprise your wife or girlfriend with a stay in London you could do a lot worse than this hotel - every female colleague I have just raves about the place!

Room Tip: Avoid a room facing onto Great Eastern Street - you can get some traffic noise from about 04.30 onwa...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

3,264 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
  • Greek first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

The Hoxton was an excellent and lively hotel. It seems to be the beating heart of Hoxton/Shoreditch.
Staff were excellent. We ate at the hotel once and the food was very good. I had the pulled pork burger and this was superb.
The room was a little small but adequate. Bathroom with rain shower excellent. One or two stains noted on the chaise longue.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area which is rich with quirky and lively bars, restaurants and clubs.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hox_Team, Hox_Team at Hoxton Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to feedback, we always like to hear that we have another pulled pork bap fan out there. Great that you enjoyed the lively atmosphere and the surrounding area - we'd love to see you back here again.
Grenoble, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I enjoyed staying at the Hoxton. I especially liked the friendly staff and the modern design of the hotel. The room was comfy according to European standards. The downside was that my room was at the back and I could see the garbage bins from my window. There was a couch that they threw out on the sidewalk near the garbage bin and it stayed there for at least 3 days. I did not like to look at that every morning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hox_Team, Hox_Team at Hoxton Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Happy to hear that you enjoyed staying at the Hox and thank you for taking the time to feedback. We're sorry about the couch, but rest assured it wasn't from the hotel. Do come back again soon - pop us an email and we'll make sure you get a front facing room.

Thanks again!
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip and felt very at home as soon as I walked in. The reception and bar space is very warm and welcoming with a great buzz. The rooms are equally as impressive- simple, funky and with everything you could need. Fresh milk and free water in the fridge was a nice touch and makes such a difference from the UHT stuff you get in most hotels. What stood out for me most was the service - I realised after I'd checked out that I'd left a small diamond earring in my room. I spoke to Daniela in housekeeping who confirmed that it had been found and she has gone out of her way to make sure that I get it back. She's a star and I will definitely be staying again next time I'm in town!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hox_Team, Hox_Team at Hoxton Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Why thank you for the lovely words, we love that our service stood out - definitely something that we pride ourselves on. Big up Daniela, she will be getting a big pat on the back. Do come back again soon, we can't wait to have you!
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

If you are planning to hang out in shoreditch this is the perfect location-
The rooms are fine, the product is nice-
They give you a free hour of calls to the US- which was amazing!
Everyone at the hotel is super nice and helpful-
It is a cute spot and my friend and I enjoyed the bar downstairs!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hox_Team, Hox_Team at Hoxton Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to feedback - we love that you liked Shoreditch and also enjoyed the bar downstairs. Great to hear you took advantage of the phone calls too. Hope to see you in the 'hood soon.
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Excellent value. Stayed for one night; had a couple of very minor issues (door could not be locked from inside and window wouldn't open) which were resolved. Concerned about the noise from the very busy bar on Fri/Sat nights but totally inaudible from our room. Full marks for the very reasonable prices provisions as well as food and drinks.
Would not stay elsewhere in London.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hox_Team, Hox_Team at Hoxton Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Would not stay elsewhere in London.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed here on Thursday evening with the girlfriend. The venue itself was amazing, very lively and vibrant. Cocktails were the best we had ever tasted!!... Concierge was very helpful and booked us a table at a very prestigious restaurant with ease. location was amazing and overall I will definitely be coming back

p.s bed sheets are the best I've ever felt!!

Room Tip: get a room that faces Great Eastern Street high road
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hox_Team, Hox_Team at Hoxton Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Why thank you, we're very pleased you liked the feel of our bed sheets - pretty soft yes? And the best cocktails you have ever tasted? WOW *blushing* Do come around again soon, we loved having you here!

Been to Hoxton Hotel? Share your experiences!