“Real value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mandalay Picton House Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Mandalay Picton House Hotel
122 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UB, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #97 of 522 London B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“Real value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

if you are looking for luxury, don't go here. But if you want a safe and very cheap place to stay, go! The hotel is small and the opposite of fancy, but the owners are extremely helpful and nice. The room I had was very small but also very clean, which is not always true of London hotels.
The bathroom was tiny and not very comfortable, but again - clean.
The full English breakfast was included in the room price.
This hotel is perfect is you are in London to stay out - and not in. It is real value for money, and the location only two minutes walk from Paddington is perfect, especially if you are flying in and out from Heathrow.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

173 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed here with my daughter in July 2010 for 3 nights. I had decided on it through reading the reviews here on tripadvisor for budget hotels in London. It is close to Paddington station, about a 5 min walk. And just around the corner from a great little Italian cafe which served great coffee. And a 5 min walk to a great Indian restaurant, called Noorjahan 2.
The staff at Mandalay Picton were all really friendly, helpful and polite, they serve a good size breakfast in the mornings too. The room catered for our needs with twin beds and an ensuite bathroom. I remember reading some reviews about the ensuites being small. Well, this one had room for a basin, a toilet and a shower. And room to stand and dry yourself. What more does a person need? The shower worked really well, I didn't feel cramped at all in it, or in the bathroom. The room was really quiet also. I always take decent earplugs with me when I travel, but I had no need to use them here.
It was also no trouble to leave our bags with them after checkout, as we had a late flight out.
I'd stay here again with no hesitation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

As most people have pointed out, the hospitality and service at this hotel is five stars. The owners are incredibly welcoming and friendly people.

A few times we ended up talking to them for 20+ minutes at a time - about everything from our hometowns and London to world issues and the weather. It was a joy to meet them.

As for the rooms they are in need of an upgrade, like many budget hotels in London. The amenities, blankets and window coverings are a bit dated (and our toilet seat was broken).

The breakfast was not very good.

The location is great - just a short walk from Paddington Station, close to some great restaurants and pubs, and close to Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Borgo a Buggiano, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I have been in Mandalay five nights in april with my mum and sister. I chose this place thanks to the reviews on Trip Advisor, and all the expectactions were respected.
At the moment of booking I asked for a triple room, and Gary, the owner, answered me very quickly, offering a four beds bedroom at the same price because of the availability. I found it very honest and nice.
The bedroom (as I was told) was in the basement, with bathroom and a window on a small court. The atmosphere is really british, with carpet everywhere. It seems to stay in a family house. What really surprised me, as I already have been in London's accomodation, was the cleaness of both bedroom and bathroom. That is a really good point. The fornitures are in good condition, that's not a design hotel, but honestly, who cares when everithing is so nice and clean. Breakfast is good enough to a perfect morning start: then just have a five minute walk in the nice area and take the Paddington metro line to reach all the amazing attractions in London.
Just few more words to say that Gary, Dwight and all the staff will make your stay a real pleasure: nothing better coming back after a long day then a sincere welcome, a smile and a nice chat.
I will definitively reccomand Mandaly Picton and come back for my next trip in London!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My family of four stayed four nights at Mandalay in mid-June. From the planning stages right through to our check out the owners, brothers Gary & Dwight, could not have made us feel more welcomed. Gary arranged for a car service to pick us up at Heathrow. Having this set up for our 11 pm arrival made our arrival effortless and the price was cheaper than others. A typical English breakfast is served which may not appeal to some American's tastes (baked beans, for example), but we found it plentiful and a good source of fuel to start the day. The room was clean and basic, the location fantastic - right between Hyde Park and Paddington Station. But what really made our stay was the hospitality of Gary and Dwight. Both went out of their way to not only make our stay wonderful but they really made us feel like family. We arrived back at the hotel one evening and Gary greeted us with a smile and a surprise... He had made a traditional Burmese dessert for us- which was delicious! The day of our departure we had an early flight and Dwight packed up a goodie bag for us to take with us! Gary also gave my kids a book as a gift! When we return to London we will most certainly be staying at Mandalay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

The owners of this hotel are authentic human beings and I won't spoil your fun but do spend some time talking to them; their life history is part of the adventure!
The room is adequate, clean, had all we needed. Breakfast was a lot of fun, and I got special tea made just the way I like it, the Indian way with milk brewed with the tea, simply because I asked Dwight where the best place to get a cup of chai was in London.
The neighborhood has great restaurants nearby, and is walking distance from Paddington station and Hyde Park. I was grateful to have found out about this treasure. And as a bonus it has a Tripadvisor award, which I did not know about prior to arrival.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We work around London all the time and have stayed in some dumps, it was very nice to find a good clean hotel and will always stay here in future. Room big shower good and a good breakfast to start the day.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Mandalay Picton House Hotel? Share your experiences!