“fabulous staff” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added Mandalay Picton House Hotel to your Saves list
Mandalay Picton House Hotel
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   122 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UB, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #126 of 531 London B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“fabulous staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

The staff absolutely make this place by being incredibly personable, pleasant, helpful and interesting. The hotel is perhaps a litttle shabby around the edges but it is budget accommodation after all and I thought it had something of the charm of an old-fashioned pension. The rooms were clean, the shower was excellent and hot and breakfast was perfectly adequate. The location is very convenient, being very close to Paddington and within reasonable walking distance to Central London, and I thought it was excellent value for money.

Staying here, I felt as though I was part of something rather lovely and, in the evenings, it felt like I was returning home.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
swindon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

My friend and me stayed for two nights at the end of November.Easy to find after getting off the train at Paddington. We were greeted very warmly and made to feel very welcome. Room was small but very clean, tidy and had everything we needed for our mini break. Breakfast was nice, not everyones cup of tea as it's a very continental breakfast and a very mixed bag of foods, but it was really tasty and kept us going through the day. I would definately stay again. The price was great for London and for its location, Hyde park just 10 minutes away. Give it a go, you won't be disappointed

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

We stayed this hotel third time in this November. The rooms are clean and average for central London, the bathroom is really tiny so if you mind it then it is not your place. But they are absolutely clean! The owners are absolutely helpful and polite! Whenever we go to London next time, we definitely will stay there again. Best place to stay for the value!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Falkirk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

My second stay at this hotel was just as pleasant as the first!

When we arrived, we were greeted with respect and were given 2 room keys which was convenient. My friend and I have stayed here in July for 8 nights so we found the room a bit small. We obviously had a lot of stuff and we ran out of places where we could store clothes as we only had a double-door wardrobe and a nightstand. The bathroom was even smaller, if you are not the slimmest person you might have difficulty showering in such a small space. Our beds were made up most days and sheets changed twice over the 8 nights which did not bother us. The room was clean as far as we could tell but some might expect a better standard. Some might also call this hotel dated or even dodgy, but I think for the price - especially in London - it is value for money (but could do with a bit of renovation and refurbishment).

We got a friendly rate (£70/night discounted to £65) from one of the owners as we stayed there before and booked the room for over a week this time around. Our budget was not very high so this hotel is still very good for accommodating those on a budget.
Room prices include a continental breakfast which was a little repetitive over 8 mornings but still tasty.

As no safety deposit boxes are available in the rooms, we asked at the reception if we could store out passports and other belongings in the safe, which was fine until we went to collect them on departure and the owner wasn't there and staff didn't know where the safe was. Again, this wasn't such a problem as we were organised enough to leave plenty of time before we had to leave the hotel but we could have missed our train to be fair.

Overall though,we did have a lovely time. The price and the staff all make up for the basic accommodation and inconveniences. Unless I find an even cheaper hotel with ratings like these, I will certainly return on my next visit to London.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

White cotton sheets, comfortable beds, friendly staff and all for £69 for a double room which was only five minutes walk from Paddington Station.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I spent 8 nights at this B&B in March/April this year. I chose Mandalay Picton House, as I was searching for a B&B or budget hotel walking distance from my daughter's flat in Paddington, and I was impressed by the Tripadvisor reviews I found here.
I actually had 2 stays (6 nights, then away for 4 nights, then back for another 2), and after I'd found myself feeling quite at home and relaxed there during the first stay I was very pleased to be coming back.
My single room had a little balcony and a nice view over the street (Sussex Gardens). It was comfy, nothing flash, but not at all dreary. Breakfast was simple, but filling (I had toast, egg, baked beans cooked with tomato, cold cheese and cucumber, jam, & a pot tea, every morning!) - not at all gourmet but it did the trick to get me out the door, and there is plenty of exciting eating to be done in London over the rest of the day.
The family who run the B&B are very friendly, and it felt very safe there - I left my luggage in the tiny reception area on my last day, and this was fine (you can't walk in from the street without being buzzed in or without a key, and one of the staff is always sitting at reception or not far away). Paddington also always felt very safe to walk around when I was on my own, daytime or very late at night - it's an all night kind of place, and well lit up.
The main reason for going back would be for value for money. This B&B cost less than the equivalent of $85 (Australian) per night, including breakfast, which is remarkable, considering it's in central London.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Location is superb with bus station and tube station all within walking distance same goes for restaurants and tesco express was nearby as well....definitely no regrets. Towels were changed everyday and rooms were cleaned everyday as well. This was one of our main concern for a budget hotel but Mandalay Picton House Hotel was well kept and it was clean!Bravo!!:) Rooms were small especially the toilet which was cute where u can save time and do your business take bath and wash your face at one go..... hahaa......dat was why i said 'cute' :) Overall a good stay with no regrets to it :)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Mandalay Picton House Hotel? Share your experiences!