“Quiet stay, great location, cold room.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel 55
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 Hanger Lane, London W5 3HL, England   |
Ranked #307 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Florence, Italy
“Quiet stay, great location, cold room.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

just few steps out of North Ealing tube station and you are at Hotel 55 (in 20 mins you can reach Covent Garden). This was my second stay here. The hotel is nice as well as the staff; rooms are really small but if you'are on a business travel and alone it's not a problem in my opinion nataurally. Breakfast is good with a good choice (but the coffee was terrifying). The only negative aspect has been the heating; it didn't work properly and it was really cold in there; seemed heater radiator came out fresh mountain air. Choose the garden facing rooms. Anyway good value for money and great location.

Room Tip: Choose the garden facing rooms; they are quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Odessa, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

As with other reviewers, do not be fooled by the exterior. The interior has been thoughtfully designed, with an eye for detail. The things that I look out for are as follows - a comfortable bed, air conditioning, powershower, decent wifi, and a quality cup of coffee in my room. Hotel 55 ticked all of these boxes. And Tiberius at reception ticks the box as well. This is not the Ritz, and is certainly no Travel Lodge. All in all, my 5 star rating is for what you get and value for money. Highly recommend

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Beverley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

PROS:
Well, first of all the staff were very helpful, not minding coming in and showing us how to get the electricity to work (you have to put your keycard in a wall gadget near the door, which being from the sticks we didn't realise). The decor was pleasing, browns and beiges etc which were relaxing, with the odd bit of teak effect thrown in and chrome for good measure. We paid a very reasonable £71 thru Late Rooms, which we were happy with, and the hotel is two minutes walk away from North Ealing tube station which is on the Picadilly line I believe, (and a very friendly and attractive little station). If the parking in the hotel is full you can also park there - it will cost you £7 for 24 hours which is quite reasonable. The hotel is right on Hanagr Lane, which is convenient for driving into London, and the surrounding area is nice and leafy. We stayed overnight when we went to Wembley Arena recently, which took about half an hour to get to by tube. Breakfast was very nice, all continental, but everything fresh and plenty of choice, and there is a lovely garden to sit in if you wish. Also, good quality flat screen tv with sky sports.

CONS:
We had a ground floor front facing room which was incredibly noisy, you can just about see in the attached photo how near the road it is, this isn't clear on the website. Also noise from the reception area was a bit of a nuisance, as we were on the ground floor. Ideal for access if one can't manage stairs, but don't see why one should suffer all the noise in such a case! There are only 4 parking spaces, we managed to nab one, so were ok, and of course there is the parking at the station, but you may have security concerns there. The room was quite clean, but there were several long dark female hairs hanging around which I didn't like .... same in the bathroom, which was otherwise clean. As the room was set up for wheelchair use there was a wet room, and the shower area was horrible (see attached). It had been cleaned, but either wants a deep clean, or completely replacing. I didn't want to use it at all. There are no hooks in the bathroom to put any robes or clothes on, and only a narrow inset shelf unit to put toiletries on. A coffee maker, but no kettle. The blinds didn't quite cover the window so all light not blocked out, street lamps outside as near to the street.

We would stay again, but not in that room, and only for one night if visiting the area. The restaurant has good reviews, tho we didn't eat there, there is an Indian takeaway and a nice looking Italian restaurant around the corner.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Ok here's the positives - The hotel and room was clean and well equipped. There is a nice breakfast room with access to a small garden. Whilst the garden is advertised rather bizarrely as a Japanese garden when it doesn't resemble anything close to one ... It is still pleasent enough!
The location of the rooms are a bit of an oddity. There is a room literally an inch away from reception and one to the front door. We paid extra to have a large room as some are specified as 'snug' - Our 'large' room was in the attic and had slanted ceilings. It was nice but cramped as there was little room to change and store bags.
The location of the hotel is between 2 stops - One is on the central line and a ten minute walk, the other Piccadilly line and a couple of minutes. Both taken roughly 40 minutes to reach central London. Trains come every 20 minutes or so through the day and are less frequent at night. Needless to say this shaves a lot of the time from a weekend break just getting around.

Now for the bad ... Or worse - when we arrived we were given a key to the room that didn't work. The manager was incompetent and it took him half an hour and several trips to reception to sort this out. It was unbelievably hot in the corridor whilst we were waiting and at the end of it all there wasn't even an apology.
The following morning my partner left early to go to the Olympic games. As the room was in his name all I needed to do was check out. The room had already been paid for via a booking website yet they insisted they had not received the money and they demanded to take my phone, bag and wallet from me. The manager was aggressive, rude and was condescending. He would physically not let me leave and it took for me to threaten to call the police to calm the situation down.
I eventually paid for the room again so I could avoid any further confrontation - I now have to contact my credit card provider and police to try and resolve this.

I would not stay here again for a number of reasons. At all costs avoid!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
cornwall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during the olympics.
This hotel is so close to north ealing station.

As u come out of north ealing station walk to end of road turn right.
Checkin was easy with very polite staff.

Was on the first floor in room 111, double with garden view.
The hotel is very clean, as was my room and bathroom.
The room wasnt that large but we didnt have any cases so it was fine.
Lovely decorated room.
The sheets and towels were clean and the bed was very comfortable.

Good wifi.

Good powerful shower with complimentary toiletries. The toiletries were quite nice.
There was fridge and complimentary tea and coffee. There was a Nespresso machine which was great, I loved this the most.
I slept well the first night but my partner complained that the AC was too loud. Opened the window instead and it was quiet.

Breakfast was the best, very good spread. bountiful complimentary continential breakfast. Best fresh fruit I have ever had for breakfast. Never had kiwi and strawberries served at breakfast.
Also fresh coffee.

On the second day, I was awoken at 4 in the afternoon with a telephone call asking if I wanted my room to be cleaned. Who does that??
This hotel should invest in ''dont disturb/clean room cards'' to hang on the door.

The first morning I had a hot shower but on the second morning I was greeted with cold water halfway thru my shower, at 9am, so looks like everyone was having a shower at this same time. However my partner had a shower 30 mins later and there was hot water.
The sink in the room was blocked also.

All in all a lovely hotel in a good location.
A few hitches but I think I would stay again.(hidden gem).
Didnt have time to try Momo restaurant but I will on my return.
The staff is an asset to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Vienna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stayed at this sweet hotel for 5 nights,my wife(32),my daughter melina(1),and me(41)
First of all thanx to the staff ,they re so nice,especially mr.tiberius.
The garden was a dream everyday especially for our little daughter.
Room was very nice,could ve been a little bigger for us 3,but thats alright.rooms have ac too.
The japanese food was ok ,but expensive.great place to eat some italian food is villa toscana,just 1 minute walk.subway is about 2 minutes away.though hangar lane is very close to the hotel,no noise problems at all,slept great.
I definetly would recommend this hotel.
Cheers:)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Stayed in this hotel over the weekend and all I can say is, ignore all the negative reviews, its a perfect hotel. I stayed on my own, chose a garden view room and I couldnt have been happier. The room was clean, comfy, private and the service was very professional. The breakfast is as healthy as it gets, really fresh choice of fruit, bread and mini pastries. Sat out in the garden reading the newspaper and felt totally relaxed while I was there. The toiletries were an added bonus, the sewing kit is amazing. Was seriously tempted to stay another night but I'll save that for another time, and I'll definitely go back there again next time I'm in London. Bring a book for the tube journey and you'll be sorted. Delighted to have found this hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a Garden View room, that'll keep you away from the front rooms which could possibly be no...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel 55? Share your experiences!