“Overpriced with rude, aggressive staff. Avoid.” 1 of 5 stars

You added Hotel 55 to your Saves list
Hotel 55
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 Hanger Lane, London W5 3HL, England   |
Ranked #308 of 1,065 Hotels in London
“Overpriced with rude, aggressive staff. Avoid.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Ok here's the positives - The hotel and room was clean and well equipped. There is a nice breakfast room with access to a small garden. Whilst the garden is advertised rather bizarrely as a Japanese garden when it doesn't resemble anything close to one ... It is still pleasent enough!
The location of the rooms are a bit of an oddity. There is a room literally an inch away from reception and one to the front door. We paid extra to have a large room as some are specified as 'snug' - Our 'large' room was in the attic and had slanted ceilings. It was nice but cramped as there was little room to change and store bags.
The location of the hotel is between 2 stops - One is on the central line and a ten minute walk, the other Piccadilly line and a couple of minutes. Both taken roughly 40 minutes to reach central London. Trains come every 20 minutes or so through the day and are less frequent at night. Needless to say this shaves a lot of the time from a weekend break just getting around.

Now for the bad ... Or worse - when we arrived we were given a key to the room that didn't work. The manager was incompetent and it took him half an hour and several trips to reception to sort this out. It was unbelievably hot in the corridor whilst we were waiting and at the end of it all there wasn't even an apology.
The following morning my partner left early to go to the Olympic games. As the room was in his name all I needed to do was check out. The room had already been paid for via a booking website yet they insisted they had not received the money and they demanded to take my phone, bag and wallet from me. The manager was aggressive, rude and was condescending. He would physically not let me leave and it took for me to threaten to call the police to calm the situation down.
I eventually paid for the room again so I could avoid any further confrontation - I now have to contact my credit card provider and police to try and resolve this.

I would not stay here again for a number of reasons. At all costs avoid!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
cornwall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during the olympics.
This hotel is so close to north ealing station.

As u come out of north ealing station walk to end of road turn right.
Checkin was easy with very polite staff.

Was on the first floor in room 111, double with garden view.
The hotel is very clean, as was my room and bathroom.
The room wasnt that large but we didnt have any cases so it was fine.
Lovely decorated room.
The sheets and towels were clean and the bed was very comfortable.

Good wifi.

Good powerful shower with complimentary toiletries. The toiletries were quite nice.
There was fridge and complimentary tea and coffee. There was a Nespresso machine which was great, I loved this the most.
I slept well the first night but my partner complained that the AC was too loud. Opened the window instead and it was quiet.

Breakfast was the best, very good spread. bountiful complimentary continential breakfast. Best fresh fruit I have ever had for breakfast. Never had kiwi and strawberries served at breakfast.
Also fresh coffee.

On the second day, I was awoken at 4 in the afternoon with a telephone call asking if I wanted my room to be cleaned. Who does that??
This hotel should invest in ''dont disturb/clean room cards'' to hang on the door.

The first morning I had a hot shower but on the second morning I was greeted with cold water halfway thru my shower, at 9am, so looks like everyone was having a shower at this same time. However my partner had a shower 30 mins later and there was hot water.
The sink in the room was blocked also.

All in all a lovely hotel in a good location.
A few hitches but I think I would stay again.(hidden gem).
Didnt have time to try Momo restaurant but I will on my return.
The staff is an asset to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Vienna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stayed at this sweet hotel for 5 nights,my wife(32),my daughter melina(1),and me(41)
First of all thanx to the staff ,they re so nice,especially mr.tiberius.
The garden was a dream everyday especially for our little daughter.
Room was very nice,could ve been a little bigger for us 3,but thats alright.rooms have ac too.
The japanese food was ok ,but expensive.great place to eat some italian food is villa toscana,just 1 minute walk.subway is about 2 minutes away.though hangar lane is very close to the hotel,no noise problems at all,slept great.
I definetly would recommend this hotel.
Cheers:)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Stayed in this hotel over the weekend and all I can say is, ignore all the negative reviews, its a perfect hotel. I stayed on my own, chose a garden view room and I couldnt have been happier. The room was clean, comfy, private and the service was very professional. The breakfast is as healthy as it gets, really fresh choice of fruit, bread and mini pastries. Sat out in the garden reading the newspaper and felt totally relaxed while I was there. The toiletries were an added bonus, the sewing kit is amazing. Was seriously tempted to stay another night but I'll save that for another time, and I'll definitely go back there again next time I'm in London. Bring a book for the tube journey and you'll be sorted. Delighted to have found this hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a Garden View room, that'll keep you away from the front rooms which could possibly be no...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

The hotel is situated on the very busy Hanger lane, keep your eyes peeled if you miss it your in for a detour. It is only a short walk from the underground(East Ealing) I think.
The hotel looks like a converted victorian mansion. The hotel is very modern and stylish. The room I stayed in was clean and comfortable and although I was on the ground floor facing Hanger Lane the soundproofing was excellent. The room was equiped with very good wet room and power shower and although no kettle, a coffee making machine.
There is a Japanese restaurant attached to the hotel and again I wasn,t disturbed by clients.
The staff were friendly and efficient>

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Shifnal, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for two nights whilst down in London for a weekend break. Unfortunately due to prior commitments we were not able to arrive at the hotel until around 1am. Having known this in advance I emailed the hotel who were prompt to respond, asking if parking could be reserved and would reception still be open. I was notified that unfortunately due to the limited parking (there are only 4 spaces) that if one was not available upon arrival I would have to use a pay car park around the corner, but that checking in at around 1am was not an issue.

Upon arrival (bang on 1am) I was pleased to see that there was a parking space available, which I proceeded to leave my car in all weekend until we left, though we did find out shortly after that the pay and display car park is literally a 2 minute walk around the corner, at North Ealing Tube station, and is also very reasonable priced - around £3.50 for 24 hours if I remember rightly. Sure enough the reception was also open ready for us to check in. My only complaint at this point is that with it being a boutique hotel in what is essentially a converted house, there are rooms right next to reception. I wasn't aware of this and was told quite abrubtly to keep my voice down - I feel signage on the front door may have been useful, or simply a more polite request to keep the noise down.

I have to say the room was very tastefully decorated. Space wasn't exactly in abundance, especially with me being 6ft4, but that said it is a boutique hotel, and it wasn't particularly cramped either. The room was exceptionally clean and the temperature control was very good to ensure a good nights sleep. I do not like hotel beds, but I must say the bed here was very comfortable indeed and I had no issue sleeping. Our room was situated on the back of the hotel - with the front being on a main road I assume there would be some traffic noise, but it was perfectly quiet being at the back for a good nights sleep.

The bathroom was again small, but very nicely fitted out and very clean. Most importantly the shower was powerful and didn't fluctuate in temperature at all which was pleasing. There was even a nice coffee machine in the room with complimentary shots/pouches to use and these were replaced the following day if used.

We didn't use the restaurant or have breakfast as the hotel was simply somewhere to sleep for us, so I can't comment on those aspects. The hotel itself is in a superb location right round the corner from North Ealing tube station which is only a few stops away from the main stations in London on the Piccadilly line - within half an hour maximum we were at Knightsbridge.

I would definitely use this hotel again for a weekend break. It is easy to get to in the car, convenient for parking even if you have to pay and display around the corner, and is reasonably priced in comparison to the competition.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the hotel overlooking the garden, as the front of the hotel overlooks a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

Upon arrival we realised there are only 4 parking spaces!!! In the hotel information it says there is no need for reservation!
We had to drive round the back of the houses near that area and park outside somebody's house! We do not think that is acceptable! If you are driving up to London this hotel would be no good whatsoever! It disappointed us from the beginning and made our stay less enjoyable. On the plus side the receptionist - a dark haired male was very very helpful and did his best to help us when requiring a taxi to take us to wembley. Overall the stay was "okay" but don't really think that is good enough for a stay in London. This was our first time in London and we was hoping to be impressed! I dont think the prices reflect the hotel i think the prices are too high for the location, the room size and decor and the overall stay there. We wouldn't recommend staying there if u are a driver as more often than not you would not get a parking space. We will not stay there again -if we go to London we will look at our hotel stay more carefully.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Hotel 55? Share your experiences!