“Boutique London Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Montagu Place Hotel

You added Montagu Place Hotel to your Saves list
Montagu Place Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 - 3 Montagu Place | Marylebone, London W1H 2ER, England (Marylebone)   |
Special Price
Book Direct Get 10% off
Ranked #81 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Birmingham, AL
“Boutique London Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We just stayed at this hotel for several days. It is quiet, in a lovely neighborhood, and has an attentive but young staff who were eager to see to our needs. We stayed on the third floor in an adequately sized room that was most comfortable. Breakfast consisted of more than continental with eggs, meat, cereal, coffee/tea, etc brought to our room each day.

There is no lift. Of slight concern is that there also is no fire escape. We found the housekeeping inconsistent and failed to notice smaller details of empty tissue boxes or replenishing water each day.

The reception staff was excellent and helpful.

For the price, location, and if a small hotel is to your liking rather than a hotel like the Intercontinental which is in the midst of all things tourist, this is a great find.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Arron D, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Let me first of all thank you for your kind review left on Tripadvisor. It is nice to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff made it special for you. It is also nice to read that the room you stayed in was comfortable and adequately sized.

Thank you for detailing your experience in the way you did, by highlighting the positive and negative aspect of your experience, which is very useful to me.
I want to apologize personally for the experience you encountered about the cleanliness issues during your recent visit. I hope this isolated incidents will not deter you from visiting us again in the future. We do take all guest feedback very seriously as we constantly want to ensure we strive to deliver quality service so all the noted areas have now been shared with the relevant Head of Departments.

Thank you again for choosing Montagu Place Hotel for your stay in London and should you require any further assistance from us please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Arron Dorjbat - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed here as part of a special celebration for my partners birthday, it's a cracking little hotel, in a very central location but situated in a charming and quiet spot. We stayed in the medium room and it was more than adequate for our needs, when booking you are asked to specify if you want either a bath or shower as some rooms don't have both. I didn't bother as I didn't really mind, but on the morning as we were leaving home my partner said she was looking forward to a bath before we hit the town, I called the hotel and they said they would try to arrange it. We arrived after a short (10 minute) walk from Baker Street station, and I was told they could not arrange a bath as the rooms were taken? Although they were extremely apologetic and offered us complimentary glass of champagne. We enjoyed this before heading out although I felt a little guilty as they had done nothing wrong!

I would agree that there is a heck of a climb up to the top floor, it's part of the unspoilt character of the hotel, but if you are not match fit, ask for a lower room on booking.

It is also very easy to climb the wrong set of stairs and spent time fruitlessly trying to access someone else's room, luckily there was no one in!

Breakfast was adequate and cheaper of booked with the room, I'm sure there are other options within a few minutes walk of the hotel, but for convenience it was perfectly acceptable, continental style with none of the often found tubs of dry egg and congealed bacon, but a decent cooked breakfast would have been a nice option.

The staff are particularly attentive and made us feel right at home, especially the charming Enrico who helped us with both the room mix up and the complimentary bubbly.

I will definatly stay here again, a real home from home in the heart do the city

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review on TripAdvisor of our hotel, it is so good to know that we had made your stay in London both convenient as well as memorable.

We are very fortunate to have a great location in the central of the city. Most importantly, our associates are here to make your experience an unforgettable one. Being referred to as a home away from home is one of the highest compliments we could receive, thank you!

On behalf of Montagu Place Hotel, we cannot wait to welcome you on your next visit.

Warm regards,

Austin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

There were some good things about the Montagu Place hotel, but unfortunately, they missed out on the basics. First, the good. The location is decent and the service at the front desk was exceptional. I talked to 3 different folks and they were all equally nice and accomodating. They also had a cute little bar area which was good for an end of day glass of wine. They also provide free bottled water and team in the room, which was very appreciated. As for the rest of the hotel, you can certainly tell that they tried to look fresh and new, but it just didn't work.

The bad. I was on the 3rd floor, and there is no elevator/lift. Even the front desk person was panting after carrying up my 1 carry on bag up the 3 flights of stairs. When I got to the room, it looked like they were trying to make it contemporary with platinum and plum colors in the room. But if you looked more closely, you would see that it was really just dirty. The walls were scarred and needed a good coat of paint, and worse, the shower (in the VERY small bathroom), was covered in mold. The grout in the bathroom floor tile was also very dirty.

Then I tried to go to sleep, only to find that I could here every door in the hotel being opened and closed. I could also hear the neighbors--the TV, the talking, etc. It was also a warm day in London, and there was no air conditioning. No matter what I did to the thermostat, no air would move. I tried to open the window, but it would only open a few inches, so I got all the noise, but none of the night cool. There was no good night's sleep to be had.

While the service was very good, and I typically rate a hotel on service, the Montagu just missed on too many of the basics for me to recommend it. There are enough options in London that I will not return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Arron D, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Montagu Place Hotel.

I am glad you found the service of our team 'exceptional' - I will make sure to pass your kind words to them. I am also very disappointed to hear that we did not exceed your expectations on this occasion due to shortcomings you have experienced during your stay for which I would like to apologise.

Montagu Place has scheduled a soft refurbishment on the number of things that you have rightly noticed and this scheduled to be complete in coming months. I would really appreciate if you could give us another chance once this is complete. If you require any accommodation next time you visit London I would like to welcome you back - please contact me directly on gm@montagu-place.co.uk.

vienna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Ticked all boxes :
1. perfect check-in - fast and polite, nothing was a problem
2. a good sized room (especially in central LDN!)
3. nice and comfy furniture (if I wouldn't have had a dinner reservation I'd have stayed in my room, with a book & a cocktail or two...)
4. a fluffy bad for a very good night sleep (in spite of all that travelling I still have problems sleeping in hotels, but not in this one...)
5. lovely location (might be a question of taste, but I love Marylebon)
6. between 2 tube stations (Baker str. & Bond Str, but Marble Arch would be o.k. as well)
7. check-out perfect again (lovely Viola !) - got help with luggage, cab, adresses, getting there...

Hope to come back soon !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

First and foremost, I am really happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind words regarding the team. I will make sure to pass your praises to Viola and to others.

It is always an immense pleasure to receive such wonderful review and I am hoping that when you come back with us we will make your stay even more special and memorable.

Once again, thank you very much.

With warm regards,

Arron Dorjbat - General Manager of Montagu Place Hotel.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Mine was not a recent stay but I had the pleasure of an extended stay a few years ago & still cherish memories. Haven't been back since but from the reviews, the staff & management have kept things up to standard. I had a lovely room on the top & breakfast in the morning was a joy. The location is very centrally located between Baker & Oxford Streets. It was such a pleasure to come home to after a long day. A drink in the "living room" downstairs was my reward! The rates have gone up but if you have the budget, Montagu Place is well worth it.

Room Tip: For peace & quiet the rooms at the top of the hotel facing Montagu Place are best but generally...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Arron D, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor on your stay at Montagu Place Hotel.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found our staff & management members friendly, the room clean, breakfast service ‘a joy’ and the location to your convenience.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and I, together with the entire Montagu Team- genuinely look forward to welcoming you back to London for another great stay.

Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last weekend on a short trip with friends (3 couples) to London. Montagu Place hotel is a small hotel with 16 rooms in a quiet, almost residential area. The rooms are smallish (like all the hotelrooms in London), but comfortable. The one thing that I would have changed was the size of the double bed. That is about 150 cm wide and just too narrow. Even though the bed seemed soft at first, surprisingly it was quite comfortable (on my tiny side of the bed). At night is it very quiet, also the isolation of the rooms is done very well, so you don't hear a thing. This is great; I have had too many bad experiences in other hotels.
There are 2 tubestations within walking distance: Baker Street and Marble Arch; both about a 5 -10 minute walk. The short stroll to Marble Arch is very nice, you pass some beautiful gardens along the way.
The service is absolutely wonderful; check-in is quick and easy and they gave us a truly wonderful suggestion for lunch (the Grazing Goat, along the way to Marble Arch; fantastic lunch/dinner and breakfast). One of the nights after having forgotten to have dinner and finding nothing in the neighborhood at that hour (23:00) the man who just took over the nightshift at the front desk took the trouble of baking off some rolls for us and brought us cheese (meant for breakfast) so we didn't have to go to bed with an empty stomach. After adding a few lovely glasses of wine, it ended in a feast. Of course we had to pay for this treat, but the way it was handled was lovely.
In conclusion; I would stay here again next time; you get more than your money's worth.

Room Tip: room 2 is in the basement and a lot larger than room 1 (also basement) and 32 (top floor, no elevato...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking your time and post your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are really pleased to read that you and your friends enjoyed the stay with us.

I am delighted to hear that you were impressed with the hotel the service you received from my colleagues.
It is great to know that every effort made to ensure you received a memorable experience during your stay has paid off with your generous score and feedback, which has been shared and appreciated by all the teams here.

We certainly are looking forward to welcome you and your friends again and please let me know should you need any assistance.

Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed here for business just overnight as I had a networking event in the locale. It is between Baker Street and Oxford Street. Very conveniently situated and I would love to stay there on a social visit to the shops. Sadly the cost at the weekend seemed to go up by £100 (or at least on my last investigation), however I stayed on business on a Monday night and for that purpose it was perfect. The room was very comfortable, clean and in good repair. They provide Molton Brown toiletories. The staff were very friendly, professional and helpful. I managed to get a good rate for my stay of £129 per night and was happy to pay that for the location. I would recommend and I would stay again (for the right price).

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1 and although it doesn't have a view, it is ideal if you want a quiet nights s...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Arron D, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for your pleasant feedback on TripAdvisor and for letting us know how much you have enjoyed your accommodation.

We are glad that you enjoyed our convenient location, our amenities, and our hotel features.

Arron Dorjbat - General Manager

Been to Montagu Place Hotel? Share your experiences!