“Love this place!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage

You added Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage to your Saves list
Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   40 College Crescent | Swiss Cottage, London NW3 5LB, England (Formerly Swiss Cottage) (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Special Offer
10% off any food or drink
Ranked #55 of 650 Specialty Lodging in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, CA
“Love this place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have stayed at the Palmers Lodge on College Crescent several times in different types of rooms. I prefer not to sleep in the dorm room because of the fact that you will have lots of people in and out, and you have to be more aware and on your guard; that being said, I haven't had a problem when I've stayed in the dorm. I feel very safe walking to and from the tube station, as well as feeling safe in the actual hostel. I usually just sleep and shower at the hostel, so I don't really use the wifi and restaurant.

The only issue I had was once I was moved to another location because renovations were being done and the type of room I had booked (the 2-bed room) wasn't available, so after checking in we had to go to another building that wasn't that close - it was walking distance, but a long walk (and a couple tube stations away as we found out later). I hadn't been to that part of London, so I did enjoy staying there, but after travelling for 18 hours, it was a bit jarring to find out that we weren't staying where we thought we were supposed to stay.

I will always stay here when I'm in London if I can!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Titus W, General Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Hello
thanks for your review, sorry we had to move you but we've wanted to refurbish that room for over a year as it's getting a little tired. It will be back in action by the end of March with shiny new beds, better curtains and more power sockets. Best of all the double beds will stay.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I chose to stay at this hostel for the great reviews, but was not impressed when i arrived. The staff were not friendly at all.. my clothes got stolen and the guy said that he doubted someone would actually steal my clothes and seemed irritated when i asked him to look to see if a house keeper had found it and placed it at the front. The restaurant closed early without telling people so i didnt have dinner that night, which wasnt a huge deal but just a little irritating. I was woken up several times by the noise that was happening above me. I saw some cockroaches which was unpleasant but i heard they are common in London so not much you can do about that. The showers were awful, you had to keep pressing down a button like thing every 7 seconds to keep the water running. I did like, however, how the wifi never dropped on me. the curtains on the beds is amazing to have, and each bed has an individual light so you feel like youre in your own space with the curtains closed. and it was very close to the tube which made getting around easier. But by the end of it, both my friend and i agreed that we would not choose this hostel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear natalieee08

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry to learn that your stay at our hostel was less than perfect. We take our customer service very seriously so please send me an email with your full name and reservation details so I can find out more about the incident you are referring to, and follow it up with the staff involved.

Kind regards
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed here during the Olympics for only one night. The room was quiet and of good size. There were tea and coffee making facilities and the bathroom was of an okay size. The wifi only works in the lobby/ public area space which was kind of a let down. The breakfast buffet was alright. All in all it was a nice and warm hostel/hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear ButterBird

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are really glad to know that you had a good time with us. You will like to hear that we are now offering WiFi access in throughout the property so our guests can connect to the Web, whenever they are in-house.

We hope to see you back at Palmers Lodge Swiss Cottage sometime soon.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

+ Friendly staff in general, except for a girl at the front desk who was a bit grumpy;
+ Free luggage storage, when you arrive too early for check in or after you check out;
+ Spacious lounge;
+ Good lockers under the beds;
+ Located 3 minutes away from the Swiss Cottage underground station;
+ The building is charming, great atmosphere and pretty decor;
+ Lots of toilets and showers;
+ Bed curtains.

The only thing I would mention as not satisfying is that If you're lucky to be in one of the rooms downstairs, you have wi-fi access, but if you're upstairs you'll have to use it in the lounge only (I know because I had to change rooms during my three-night stay).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Isadora

Thank you for your positive review. We are very pleased to learn that you had a good stay at our Boutique Hostel in Swiss Cottage. You will be glad to know that as from last month, we have started to offer WiFi access in every floor of our hostel. We are looking forward to see you very soon and get your feedback on this service.

Batley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

On arrival at this hostel I was greeted in a freiendly manner and then allowed to safely store my luggage as I was too early for check in. Throughout my stay I found the lounge and bedrooms very comfortable and the staff helpful at all times. The bar is nice and friendly and everyone talks to each other. The hostel is less than 5 mins walk from the swiss cottage tube and on main bus routes - i felt safe when walking from the tube on my own even late at night.

continental breakfast and wi fi included

would recommend and stay again

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear HaylesBeth

Thank you for your positive and comprehensive feedback. We are very pleased to learn that you had a very good time at our hostel. We hope to see you sometime soon.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed here for one night in a private room on level 2 and were pleased with the accommodations. A charming building located a 2 min walk from Swiss Cottage tube station. Room was very clean yet basic as expected. Had no problems with check in and staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was basically toast and coffee/tea but can't expect more anyways. All in all good for a crash but at 65 quid for the private ot could have cost a bit less. Hard to say in London...

• Stayed February 2013
Hello
thanks for the feedback, sadly that's the average price for a private in a hostel for London these days, London although cheaper than some cities (Amsterdam) it's still pricey compared to the rest of the world.

regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere of the hostel is awesome. It's an old building structure but it has everything a hostel should have. Laundry facilities, a bar, restaurant, common rooms, etc.
I stayed in a 18bed room, and I thought it would be horrible. I was wrong, it was awesome. The bed has curtains which gives you some privacy. Each bed has also a reading light and a locker to keep your luggage.
The staff is very friendly and kind. You get to know a lot of people in the bar.
The price is also good, I paid about 20$ a night, which is something difficult to find in London.
I'd totally recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed January 2013
Titus W, General Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Hello,
thank you very much for your review hope you can stay again.

Thanks!

Been to Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage? Share your experiences!