“Highly recommend it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage

You added Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage to your Saves list
Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   40 College Crescent | Swiss Cottage, London NW3 5LB, England (Formerly Swiss Cottage) (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Special Offer
10% off any food or drink
Ranked #55 of 650 Specialty Lodging in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Budapest, Hungary
“Highly recommend it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

It was my third stay at London, and this is the best hostel i have stayed in so far. The staff was so nice, they even gave me some great tips on where to eat on a budget, and recommended me the inside tip on some great coffee places! WIFI, towels, everything you need. Recommend it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Marsha274887

Thank you for your review. We are very flattered to learn that you were impressed the hostel (and our staff insider tips). We hope to see you back at Palmers Lodge Swiss Cottage soon!

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We picked this hostel because it was one of the cheapest in London, and we were only staying for one night. Needless to say it was really neat, especially the 28-bed room we stayed in with large wooden bunk beds. Noise was a bit of an issue, mainly from people coming in and out when you are sleeping by the door! Also be sure to bring your own lock for the under-bed locker. Included breakfast was your typical oats-and-juice continental fare, good enough.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear theonehadak

Thank you for your honest review. We are delighted to read that you were satisfied with the facilities and the accommodation in our largest dorm. The door can be a little bit of noise if you are not used to share your accommodation on a regular basis but when adjusted, it fails to close properly, so safety will need to come first until we find an alternative solution. We hope to see you back at the hostel sometime soon!

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Cannot say avoid enough!!

We stayed in a dorm with 12 people in it. We tried to make friends as you'd expect in a hostel but unfortunately for us this consisted of people waking up at 7am and using their hairdryer. We were on the basement level and whilst we were close to the bar we were also next to the bathroom with only four showers! If you were standing at the sink brushing your teeth you'd receive dirty looks from anyone who wanted to wash their hands. Simply a matter of wherever you were you were in someones way. Cleaners were very rude and loved cleaning the bathroom at 9am!!! The busiest time everyone needed to use it.

Luggage was stolen and as I can see from other reviews it seems to be a common occurrence.
Communication amongst reception staff was very poor. For example a staff member didn't even know about the theft I just mentioned. You think all staff would be notified.

Our keycards for our room constantly stopped working. This happened to me at 4am when I went to use the toilet. The internet...forget it. In the basement level you MIGHT get a bit of signal. I went to reception twice to say my internet wasn't working and upon my third visit to them discovered they had given my password and username to someone else! Why everyone needs their own username and password is beyond me!

The only good thing I can say about this hostel is the bar where we met some cool people. Muesli at breakfast was also good muesli. Safe to say apart from that I couldn't get out of there faster!

Cant understand how this place has got ratings of five reviews.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Jess2525

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you were didn’t make as many friends with the other travellers who were staying in the hostel at the time. Free internet access is great but it means that many people will hide behind their phones/tablets if someone else doesn’t make the first move. I trust that your luggage theft was reported to the police immediately (I could double check if you send me your reservation details). As much as we’d like to, we cannot answer for stolen items but we do provide combination lockers and sell padlocks to secure the boxes supplied under the beds. We also have CCTV cameras coverage throughout the property so the tape would have been sent to the authorities right away.

The internet can be slow at times (particularly when many people download heavy files at the same time) but you will be glad to learn that our internet access has much improved since you stayed as we have changed our internet supplier. I am sorry to learn that the cleaners were not satisfactorily polite; they can be under an enormous pressure to deep clean the building and change over two hundreds of beds before our check-in time. I will personally speak to their manager to make sure that this doesn’t happen again.

Should you wish to stay with us in the future, please let me know so we can arrange a free upgrade for you.

Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My friend and I checked into Palmer's Lodge late in the evening, and we were the only guests in a 12 bed room. We put our things in the locker in the room, and I put my lock on the locker. We left to find something to eat and then came back to the hostel and had a few pints at the bar. All of this took about 3 hours. When we returned to our room, someone had busted my lock and stole all of my luggage, including all of my clothes, souvenirs, medicine, and my camera. My friend lost his camera, and his laptop. When we told the front desk help what happened they were very unconcerned. The next morning my friend asked the front desk if he could use a towel on the house, in light of our situation. They refused, and told him it was still 3 pounds. Worst stay I've ever had.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Matt

Thank you for your feedback. I have looked into your complaint with the front desk staff on duty during your stay and I was informed that as soon as you came downstairs to report the incident they contacted the police who came immediately, they also identified the thief on our CCTV and that the video is now with the police. Unfortunately there was nothing else that could be done at the time.

I would like to apologise on behalf of the member of staff who asked you to pay for the towel, I agree that it was very unsympathetic given the circumstances.

Should you ever wish to stay with us again we'd be happy to offer you accommodation with a big discount.

Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hostel is located in Hampstead, the most prestigious area in London. It is also conveniently located in terms of public transportation; it's very easy to go anywhere you want. Yet it's the most affordable hostel you can find in the area. I wouldn't use the term 'cheep' because the hostel itself doesn't deserve such word as 'cheep'.
I stayed here for a month. I would have stayed longer if I didn't have to go home. The building is grand, most rooms are big, beds are made sturdy and shower/toilets are kept clean. The lounge was also big and you meet many people from all over the world. It really has a friendly atmosphere. One of the guests I became friends with started to call it 'Living Room'. It really felt like it because at the end of a day many guests gather and talk about their day and so on.
Staff are (I think) all bilingual/multilingual and very friendly. If I visit London again, I won't look for anywhere else. Thank you for having me stay there! :-)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Seika

Thank you for your enthusiastic review! We are delighted to learn that you had a nice time at our hostel -and that you made the most of our proximity to Hampstead- it’s also good to know that you made cool friends during your stay. Hopefully, we will see you again at Palmers Lodge very soon.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

It's a hostel. Adjust expectations. For a hostel, this is one of Europe's best. Consistently ranked on Hostelworld's website as the best in the UK. Wifi is free. There is a free breakfast. It's not a great breakfast, but it's free. Everything is very clean. Rooms, common facilities, and bathrooms - They clean the bathrooms at least 4 times a day because it seemed like someone was always in there cleaning while I was at the hostel. If you're looking for a hostel, you won't go wrong with this one.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Hi Drewdini

Many thanks for your review. While we work very hard to be one of best hostels in Europe it’s important that our guests remember that we are a hostel and not a five star hotel, so feedback such as yours is greatly appreciated. Please do come back and stay with us soon.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I took a 21 bed with woman only and it was very comfortable.
Shared rooms with nice people. Perfect hygiene the place is been cleaning all day!! Very nice staff, free wifi ,free breakfast what more can you say.. It's even better than a hotel or apartment . You can really meet people down here :)

I highly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Shula79

Many thanks for your enthusiastic review. We are very happy to learn that you liked your stay at Palmers Lodge. We aim to offer the best possible standards for a hostel, and it’s very rewarding to get feedback such as yours. We hope to see you back in the hostel sometime soon.

Kind regards

Been to Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage? Share your experiences!