“Modern, cozy and convenient in London” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Rockwell

You added The Rockwell to your Saves list
The Rockwell
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   181 Cromwell Road, London SW5 0SF, England (Earls Court)   |
Ranked #384 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Arlington, Virginia
“Modern, cozy and convenient in London”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Just around the corner from the Earls Court station. Many food/beverage options, including Starbucks, grocery and restaurants. First impression was a lovely, modern entrance and lobby. Staff was friendly and helpful. Gave me Wi-Fi code before my room was ready. Small rooms are the norm in London. As a solo guest, I had the smallest room, top floor (409) which was perfectly fine for one person. Comfy bed. Also an interior room, but two skylights made it very bright without lamps. Bathroom was unexpectedly large. My only complaint was that the shower was just too small. I kept the door open just to move. Elevator was prompt. Didn't use the hotel's café. This is a great place if you use your hotel for sleeping and changing. I spend most of my time out and about in town. Wasn't looking for other amenities this trip. Noticed other guests were return customers, too.

Room Tip: X09 rooms are interior, singles. Top floor has skylights. From the fire escape map, all the rooms lo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
FredBartlett, Manager at The Rockwell, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Many thanks for your kind review. We hope you can come and stay with us soon.
Regards, Fred Bartlett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We arrived on Friday 11 October 2013 and checked into our room - which was so tiny you could not swing a cat - and we had upgraded to a "deluxe" room - not impressed. Tired after travelling down from Manchester we headed to the bar for a drink. Well the bar area resembles something like a "gentleman’s" club setting rather than swanky boutique hotel - which I might add shuts at 11pm - the restaurant (which we did not try) shuts at 10pm so when we returned later in the evening we ordered a sandwich which took an hour to arrive, was stale and tasted like cardboard. Shocking.

The rooms have no tea or coffee making facilities and the room services is shocking at best - we tried to order a pot of coffee in the morning and what turned up looked and tasted more like cold tar - we requested a replacement which was no better so we gave up and headed out.

The lock on our door stopped working Saturday morning so we reported this to reception and the "handy man" came along to fix it. When we returned later that day the door was still not fixed and so we had to sleep that night on the ground floor with the door open - a chair firmly wedged under the handle - not ideal. The staff - didn't have great English and were not really interested in helping the situation.

The place is worn and tatty, the towels and gowns needed replacing. The rooms need a good clean and lick of paint.

All in all NOT WORTH THE MONEY and very disappointing – would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all costs.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
FredBartlett, Manager at The Rockwell, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
We are sorry that you feel so strongly about our hotel. Our deluxe rooms are large by London standards.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I've stayed for 2 days for business reasons. Room is very small but clean. Location is great as it is 5 mins walking from Earls Court Metro Station. Staff is nice and welcoming. Breakfast OK and nice garden. Recommended for short period of time and for those who don t need/like large rooms.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. Our smaller single rooms are intended for shorter stays- as you rightly point out they make an ideal place to rest one's head for visiting businessmen.

Deal, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in room 101 - apparently a superior room- modern, clean and tasteful. AC a little noisy - remote falling apart but functional - extractor fan in bathroom not working.No coffee or tea in room - and very disappointing to be charged an extra £6.50 for a tea and coffee less than an hour after we had eaten breakfast - even though breakfast service was still on. One girl serving breakfast could have really used some help - although she maintained her calm, friendly manner.
Almost wonderful..I'd definitely give this one a second chance

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
FredBartlett, Manager at The Rockwell, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay so much- despite the minor problems.
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed there for 2 nights on the occasion of our daughters wedding, our room was gorgeous, large, light & airy & very clean & the air con worked perfectly. Our only gripe was that there was no tea or coffee making facilities in the room. However, the staff were endlessly helpful & kind and I cannot praise them enough. It made the occasion even more enjoyable & we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
FredBartlett, Manager at The Rockwell, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for your review.
Kind regards, Fred
Durban
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed here for one night whilst on a business trip. Had room G2 on the ground floor - very nicely decorated, comfortable and well equipped. No tea & coffee but complimentary water. I had a lovely meal in the courtyard on such a wonderful balmy evening. Very friendly waitress brought me a basket of delicious freshly baked bread. I ordered a side salad and salmon for my main. Overall the food was excellent and I really enjoyed it. Was sorry to see that not more people ate there. Breakfast the next morning was fine although I have to say nothing really spectacular, just the usual fare, but no complaints either. Hotel organised me a taxi to my meeting but I was surprised that the taxi operator added 5 pounds to the fare as I paid with a card - not nice..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind review. We will talk to the taxi business to ask about the fare.
Regards, Fred
Brighton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed at The Rockwell on a three night deal based on half board and a superior single room at £120 per night. Staff were very welcoming and friendly throughout my stay. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would most definitely stay here again.

However I did have a few negative gripes which prevented me from giving a score of 5, these were:-
• For a superior room (albeit a small single one) I was not expecting an interior room on the top floor without a window except high up in the ceiling which you could cover up with a sliding cover which was electrically operated. Was this really a superior single or just a standard single?

• The air conditioning worked well the first day but after that I could not have it on as it emitted a really stale smell

• The shower seemed to have something missing as I could not regulate the heat of the water at all, it was constantly cold. There were screws and markings on the shower wall perhaps where a temperature control unit should be.

• I was concerned that the wiring flex on my bed side lamp was quite badly frayed as it entered the plug.

On the positive side:-
• In the main, the fixtures, fittings and furnishings were excellent quality and modern

• The hotel was well maintained and scrupulously clean (other than my gripes)

• All the staff I came across were helpful, friendly and welcoming

• The quality of the breakfast and evening meal was first rate. It was worthwhile paying the extra £2 for a cooked breakfast – very good scrambled eggs, toast and bacon. The house wine with your dinner was very good value and quality. If I stayed again I would certainly go for the half board deal

• The hotel was very well located with plenty of good transport link into the tourist areas.

My tip for getting about London from the hotel is to avoid the Earls Court and Gloucester Road tube stations. Instead pick up A Transport for London Central London Bus guide, which by the way contains excellent maps of Central London.

If you cross over the Cromwell Road at the traffic lights outside The Rockwell Hotel and walk up the very pleasant tree lined Marloes Road opposite; within 5 to 8 minutes you are at Kensington High Street with its many shops, eateries, watering holes and greater choice of bus routes and High Street Kensington Tube station. There is a large Costa Coffee on the corner too.

If you cross over Kensington High Street at the traffic lights outside Boots, from the bus stops (travelling east) you can take a no.9 which runs alongside Kensington Gardens (and close to Kensington Palace on the left) past Exhibition Road on the right where all the great Museums are based, pass the Albert Memorial and Albert Hall, then on to Knightsbridge (for Harrods) and around Hyde Park Corner, down Piccadilly for The Royal Academy and Fortnum and Mason, pass St James Palace and Pall Mall to Trafalgar Square for the National Gallery.

The no 10 bus route from the same stop in High Street Kensington runs the same route as the no 9 until Hyde Park Corner, where it goes up Park Lane, round Marble Arch, along Oxford Street with its great shops and New Oxford Street until almost Museum Street for the British Museum.

The Rockford is an excellent choice and good value for money when staying in London where many hotels are over- priced and over-hyped for what you get.

Room Tip: Avoid room 409 if you suffer from claustrophobia as there are no windows except a high one in the ce...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
FredBartlett, Manager at The Rockwell, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for your positive review.
Regards, Fred

Been to The Rockwell? Share your experiences!