“Moved at the last minute.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Marlin Apartments Canary Wharf

You added Marlin Apartments Canary Wharf to your Saves list
Marlin Apartments Canary Wharf
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   9-11 Byng Street, Westferry Road, London E14 8GG, England (Docklands / Canary Wharf / Isle of Dogs)   |
Ranked #65 of 684 Specialty Lodging in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Durham, United Kingdom
“Moved at the last minute.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

I booked an apartment for Marlin Canary Wharf specifically due to location for proximity to London Marathon Expo and transport to the start line. I booked this last year.
Today, the day before I was due to check-in, I received an email saying that 'due to unforeseen maintenance issues' I was being moved to their apartments at Stratford. Still next to the DLR, but with a walk & extra travel & (I know this because I stayed there before) a busy railway line next door. I need sleep before a marathon, thanks.
This stinks, not only because they wanted to offer a sub-standard replacement, but the late notification (an email, which I could easily have missed). I am also very suspicious about the reasons given. I only paid roughly £140 at the time and now there are two FA Cup Semi Finals alongside the marathon. Perhaps because I paid a reduced rate and they can get more for my room?
I have requested a refund and will be staying with my in-laws, but now have a trip across London to make on Sunday morning. So thanks for that, Marlin.
Unprofessional and deeply unreliable. Don't go near.

Stayed April 2014
Blaeke D, General Manager at Marlin Apartments Canary Wharf, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear BorisBedd,

Thank you for choosing Marlin Apartments for this year's London Marathon. I am deeply sorry that you were unable to experience our accommodation.

Unfortunately maintenance issues sometimes (albeit rarely) mean that some of our units must be put out of service. When this occurs, our central reservations team endeavor to contact the concerned parties in order to find a solution which is convenient to the guest. This is always done by telephone, although where telephone contacts have not been provided, an email would be sent requesting the guest to contact us. There is generally more than one option available and the guest is offered a choice to suit their requirements.

We have experienced such an issue over Marathon weekend which was deeply inconvenient I am sure, and I can only offer my sincerest apologies for this unforeseen and last minute issue.

As mentioned, such an issue is extremely rare, and I am certain that should you choose to book with Marlin Apartments in the future, you will enjoy the quality accommodation and service that many of our other guest appreciate.

I am glad to hear that you have made contact with head office in relation to your dissatisfaction and am certain this issue will be resolved to a satisfactory standard.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and found our apartment on the third floor to be clean and very well appointed - washer/dryer, dishwasher, good bed, modern bathroom, cooking facilities. Adena at reception was helpful. Hallways/common areas not so clean.

Good location for the price if you need to attend conferences or wish to spend a full whole day seeing the sights of London.

We possibly would have liked somewhere more central so that you can go back to your room to rest up or change to go to theatre etc as Canary Wharf/ Canada Bay tube or DRL is close and within walking distance, but you don't necessarily want to go back during the day due to the distance from central London and the time it takes each way. Its about £30 into London by private taxi. Tesco Express is close by for groceries but has limited produce and a bit pricey. All in all good value for an apartment in London.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Blaeke D, General Manager at Marlin Apartments Canary Wharf, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear raftus88,

Thank you very much for choosing to entrust us with your accommodation requirements. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at Canary Wharf.

It is always a pleasure to read such positive feedback about the team, and I will ensure that your compliments are passed on to Adina.

I do regret that you found our communal areas to be below our high standard of cleanliness, however, you may be interested to know that these are being refurbished this week.

Whilst Canary Wharf is located at a 10-20 minute tube ride from central London (3 stops from London Bridge for example), we do have other more central locations, such as Queen Street near St Paul's Cathedral, or Empire Square at London Bridge.

I do hope that you had a safe and pleasant journey home, and we very much look forward to having you with us again in the near future!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here a number of times over the last few years and I've continued to be impressed at the effort and continued investment that has gone into these apartments.

They give you everything you would have at home, good sized kitchen with washing machine, dishwasher, cooker, oven and microwave, sizeable living room, comfortable bed.

The latest addition is fast speed broadband, and it is mighty fast! A welcome addition to the services already provided...

I'll be back!

Stayed March 2014
Dear Fizzymairi,

We very much appreciate your on-going loyalty to Marlin Apartments, and I must say it is always a pleasure to have you with us.

It is delightful to read that our efforts to improve our products and services are making a positive impact on our guests' stay. I am very pleased that you are enjoying them!

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to publish this review, it is wonderful to have such great feedback and we value your kind words :)

Looking forward to seeing you again very soon,

Warm regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed in the studio apartment for 1 month and it was a pleasant stay. Though nothing extraordinary about the place, there is nothing to complain about as well. A descent sized room, hot water, responsive staff and a good concierge is a perfect package for the business stay.

Room Tip: Fitness Center can be added Some rooms still play loud music even after 11pm
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Blaeke D, General Manager at Marlin Apartments Canary Wharf, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear columbus0909,

Thank you indeed for choosing to stay at Marlin Apartments Canary Wharf, it was lovely having you with us!

I am very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable and relaxing month's stay with us, and it is always great to hear positive feedback about the team!

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,

Oundle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Excellent stay at Marlin Apartments, we had the penthouse flat in block A.
Staff were all friendly and the apartment was clean and tidy.
Excellent location if you plan on attending any event at the o2 Arena as we did (BRIT Awards 2014).
Car park is secure and monitored 24/7.
Great price booking direct.
Will without doubt use these apartments again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Blaeke D, General Manager at Marlin Apartments Canary Wharf, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear adasam,

Thank you for choosing Marlin Apartments Canary Wharf for your recent trip to London! It was a real pleasure to have you with us.

How lucky you are to have attended the BRIT Awards, I do hope that you had a wonderful time!

Its delightful to read such positive feedback, and we really do appreciate your taking the time to post this review.

My team and I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Willemstad, Curacao
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We rented the Penthouse apartment, wonderful view, affordable price and well maintained. Furthermore, the service is excellent if items are left behind by accident. Response time by email and phone is prompt and understanding. I recommend this accommodation to anyone staying in Canary Wharf, London.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Blaeke D, General Manager at Marlin Apartments Canary Wharf, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear Arran1234567890,

Thank you very much indeed for choosing to stay with us at Marlin Canary Wharf. It was a pleasure having you with us, and my team and I are very grateful for your kind words on TripAdvisor.

We are very pleased that we were able to provide a comfortable stay for you, and that we were able to help with your forgotten items.

We do of course look forward to having you back with us in the near future!

Hoping you had a safe and pleasant journey home,

Warm regards,

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I was a bit concerned about the distance Canary Wharf is from central London, but after a week at this hotel, I did not find the extra subway ride to be a problem, particularly when the value of this place is considered. It is about a ten minute walk from the tube to the hotel, but it was not bad. We were in a one bedroom apartment. The rooms were generous and the kitchen was well equipped. The living room was comfortable, although the carpet a bit stained. The bedroom was very large and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom had overly bright lights if you were lying in the tub, and there were some loose tiles on the floor. My only major objection was the atrocious wifi in the room. We had many conversations with the tech support to no avail. Eventually I found a wall-mounted ethernet outlet and plugged in a Satechi travel router and had no trouble after that. We got a long stay deal and had this spacious one bedroom apartment for £75 a night. Unbeatable and I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Robert V,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at Marlin Canary Wharf. We very much appreciate your sharing your experience with others on TripAdvisor!

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our product to be of excellent value.

You may be interested to know that works are currently being undertaken to roll out a new super fast broadband service, which will be operated by a new provider. Whilst the completion date is still a little sketchy, this will most definitely be up and running very soon.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and also look forward to your feedback on our new internet services!

Blaeke Downie

Been to Marlin Apartments Canary Wharf? Share your experiences!