“"If there's one thing I hate it's rudeness"” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 1,197 Nightlife in London
Type: Bar/ Clubs, Bars
England
“"If there's one thing I hate it's rudeness"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

...Amazingly that's not my comment, but a quote shouted from the landlord!

We were celebrating a friend's birthday in a reserved room upstairs. We'd been enjoying great beer, good company & friendly staff. I was close to giving a 4-5 star Tripadvisor rating until....

We ordered a large round of toasties which were brought to us upstairs by the landlord (Eaman Scott I believe). As he brought them in to us, I took one toastie from the plate - then he went absolutely mad saying, "If there's one thing I hate, it's rudeness". It seems he was annoyed that I'd taken a toastie before he'd put the plate down in the corner of the room! It was a really surprising and totally uncalled-for, over-the-top outburst. I've never been spoken to that at an establishment in the past and it really shocked me that he both shouted at me and considered me rude for taking a toastie from a plate we'd ordered! Hardly the service with a smile we'd had from his staff.

I really don't know why he considered me to be rude and on leaving I thought he might have apologised to me. But when asked for his name and he said, "Mr Scott, and make sure you spell it right!" Basil Fawlty would be proud...

Visited March 2014

Skegness, United Kingdom
40 attraction reviews
“Unusual pub in an alley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Very well tucked away in the street formerly owned in the dark ages by the bishop of Ely (I'm told) - very nice place, good beer and freindly staff and atmosphere.

Visited March 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
51 attraction reviews
“The kind of place I was hoping to find in London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Hidden in what is essentially a courtyard connected to the street by some small alleys, this pub is like something out of a movie. A fantastic interior and an amazing exterior drinking area plus a great selection of beers and super friendly staff made this one of my favorite pubs I went to in London

Visited February 2014
Colorado
133 attraction reviews
“What a great historical pub in London”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Technically outside the limit of the City of London. Built in 1540, it is tucked away down an alley just off Holborn and is easily missed. Built for the nearby visitors and servants of Ely Palace, it is not open on weekends, so plan accordingly. Lots of real cask ale and beers here. They serve bar snacks and grilled sandwiches during the day. The staff are very friendly, and there is a large courtyard to enjoy during pleasant evenings. If you are here, make sure to go see the medieval St Etheldreda’s, which is very close.

Visited February 2014
UK
“Tasty beer, convivial atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Great Fullers pub in a lovely, Dickensian setting, serving some reasonably priced scotch eggs and toasties (!) to order. The Seafarers ale is always a winner but avoid the early evening if you want a seat. Closed at weekends.

Visited November 2013