“Cheap” 3 of 5 stars
Review of City Inn Express

Save Saved
You added City Inn Express to your Saves list
City Inn Express
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   144-A Mare Street | Hackney, London E8 3SG, England (Victoria)   |
Ranked #759 of 1,055 Hotels in London
San Francisco, California
“Cheap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed here for two nights. On the plus side, I saved a lot of money and I had a clean warm safe place to stay, with a small bathroom. There are buses that run nearby that take you to Bethnal Green tube station. Some of the rooms are close enough to the wi-fi hotspot to have a very good internet connection, which is included for no additional fee. On the down side, there's a loud water pump on the 3rd floor on the other side of the wall of my room that would go off every minute or so. I took off a picture frame from the wall to reduce the rattling sound. Even with ear plugs, I had a terrible night's sleep the first night. The friendly staff said they would turn it off for most of the night on the 2nd night, so I got a decent night's sleep on the second night. The shower is small with just barely enough hot water, but it is enough.

If the owners could isolate the water pump better and provide internet access to all the rooms and do just a bit more maintenance (e.g., fix the drippy faucet in my room), this would be a good affordable hotel.

Room Tip: Stay away from the noisy water pump that is between the 2nd and 3rd floors. Rooms closer to the lob...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

It's a weekend/shortbreak budget hotel.
We were visiting Family in Hackney.
The entrance is off a side road just below the petrol station, as you approach the archway to the hotel entrance you can't help but notice the derelict building, take a good look at the windows, it's an art installation.
We asked to see the room before paying, It was reasonable size with very small shower/wc room.
The room was clean in the right places, but dusty wardrobe tops & window sills.
The bed was old but clean sheets & comfortable enough.
There was a kettle & tea/coffee.
We stayed 2 nights & the towels were replaced, even if the were a bit tatty they were clean.
The reception is manned 24hours, & you buzz them to get back in.
Overall the hotel is good enough for just a couple of nights stay on a budget in London.
But do ask to check out the room .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

My friends and I booked this hotel for an overnight weekend stay. There were 5 of us and we got a family room with one double and three single beds. It was a good sized room and all the beds were clean. The curtains were not hung properly and the bed bases were a little bit dirty but apart from those very minor things, the room was clean enough to be a 2 star budget hotel. I think what people need to remember is that this is a 2 star hotel! We had no problems. The staff were friendly and it was not overly noisy. We would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

When we arrived the staff seemed friendly, which was a plus as the hotel itself left a LOT to be desired! After hauling our luggage up 3 flights of stairs (without being offered assistance!) we got to our room... Well, what a dump! It had two beds and a TV at least, but the cleanliness was appalling! There were bits all over the floor, everything was covered in a thick layer of dust, and there was a hair on my pillow!! Going back to the dust, on the wall people had managed to write "please dust me"... there were several different types of handwriting so god only knows how long it has been since the place has seen Pledge!! The bathroom was tiny - I almost knocked myself out getting out of the shower! The shower was rubbish and the tray was stained. The shower doors were slimy and did not look clean at all! To top it off, my friend found two pubic hairs on the toilet!! They could have been regular hair I suppose, but they were short and curly - you decide!! Unfortunately we couldn't afford to move anywhere different so we endured the night... Under duress! Will never go back!!! Location was ok - walking distance to everything you could want - however our room overlooked a petrol station... Classy it was not!!

• Stayed November 2012
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Reviews for this place seem poles apart! My own experience falls in the "don't touch with a barge pole" camp. I was there for as long as my husband on the end of a telephone could find me somewhere else - a clean, well presented and comfortable hotel a few miles away for the same money (£65). This hotel is revolting and I thank my lucky stars that I didn't have to stay there. The photographs which appear here are wholly accurate and in line with my own experience. Booking agents should not promote it on their websites.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

On arrival we were told we had to pay a 5% surcharge to pay by debt card - No mention of this on the confirming emails etc. Cashier sugegsted we could go out in the rain late at night in Hackney to get cash if we prefereed!
Then there was not hot water int he room. Again staff indifferent.
Room was clean and ok for a budget hotel.
Noisy as by main road and all might traffic

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Pontywaun
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Give hotel credit it is spotless on the cleanliness side.Working in area and asked if we could have breakfast earlier? No problem was said but on first day we had to ask the miserable person/s on reception if we can have lights on in lounge area.Then only cereal available and again had to ask for milk.If you want a return visits be a more helpful its not a chore to work nights its your job. Never stay again only because of the staff being so miserable and not helpful at all.Hope this helps Jif

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to City Inn Express? Share your experiences!