“Very unfair negative comments” 5 of 5 stars
Review of City Inn Express

Save Saved
You added City Inn Express to your Saves list
City Inn Express
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   144-A Mare Street | Hackney, London E8 3SG, England (Victoria)   |
Ranked #784 of 1,075 hotels in London
Hull UK
“Very unfair negative comments”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I needed to book a room in London at last minute, I booked the City Inn Express and then read the reviews. I was horrified! The negative comments made me think I had made a huge mistake! With trepidation I turned up at the hotel, what a pleasant surprise! The hotel is lovely, cant fault a thing. The staff are excellent! The room was lovely. Very clean and well equipped. I have stayed in many hotels due to business and have paid a lot more for rooms which I wouldnt have let an animal stay in. The bed was comfy and clean, the bathroom was immaculate! The staff are so helpful, giving directions to restaurants, take-aways etc. The room was cleaned every day but is not intrusive. I cant recommend this hotel highly enough. I initial booked for 5 nights but due to business commitments I had to stay longer, I therefore booked a further 6 nights. I will defiantly return if I have to come back to London!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Bromsgrove
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Not at all as bad as the reviews.Bookedthis hotel at the last minute when realised that we couldn't get home after evening olympics and stayed in a twin roomwith my 14 year old son.Small room but clean & adequate.Staff polite & friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Our hotel room was filthy dirty: the walls so thick in dust people had written their names in, drinking glasses with thick dirt in, stained beds, but the real disgusting part came when we opened the top drawer to find a USED CONDOM and the empty box!!!!
The tv had no remote and the pillows and quilt were paper thin. Staff offered us no refund despite our complaints.
When we firt arrived we thought the hotel had closed down, the front was so run down. I would advice everyone to stay away from this place!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012
Niort, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights. Our room was a triple, not bad size but decor was awful. Curtains hanging from windows, Bed covers and sheets well worn. Base of beds were dirty and torn so dread to think what mattresses were like. Bathroom was very small. Breakfast was... awful, served by the grumpiest looking waiter who did wipe down our table with a bath towel.
This hotel was way over priced for what you get.
When we arrived at the hotel we thought the place had shut down by the sight that greeted us but soon realised the hotel was down a little laneway from this.
The one good thing was the nice guy on reception who helped carry my case up three flights of stairs as there is no lift.

Baslow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed here two nights and were most unimpressed.The bedroom was ill -lit,the housekeeping in our room was virtually nil,the breakfasts were minimal and served with bad grace and the public stairway remained muddy for all our visit.The only saving grace was the pleasant/helpful nature of the daytime receptionist.

Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We booked this hotel as it was within walking distance of the venue we were going to. However, it was a big mistake. At nearly £90 per night for a twin room we were expencting something at least Travelodge standard but it was nowhere near. As other reveiwers have commented, first impressions are terrible as all you see is a boarded up building. The rooms are very small and the bathrooms are even smaller. The water in the shower comes on when it feels like it - which isn't very often. There is no choice for breakfast - you have egges on toast or you don't have breakfast. The staff used a bath towel to brush off our tablecloth whilst we were sitting at the table. We asked for three teas and a coffee and eventually four teas came. The bedsheets were torn and there was only one very thin, worn sheet per bed, no matressprotector or undersheet.
I left a pair of shoes in my room by accident and rang the same day but were told they hadn't been found. It is only a small hotel (21 rooms) so I find this very hard to believe. I have stayed in a lot of budget hotels but this is the worst.

Winterton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

The hotel is clean and adequately furnished for a weekend break.

Downsides are a ridiculously small shower room, you need to be either a small child or a contortionist to use the toilet as it is tucked almost under the sink. If you have the slightest impediment then use the facilities of the pub across the road.

The shower was a decent size but the head was blocked so next to useless.

The staff were foiendly but as much use as the shower. Parking is okay if there is only three or four cars there but dont listen to the staff who will try to reverse you into very small spaces, despite your protestations.

We didnt do breakfast but got a huge one in Wetherspoons just down the main road for cheaper than the hotel.

Would I stay there again - only if there was absolutely nothing else and it was only one night I suppose if the deal was cheap enough I would consider it, but definitely not for more than one night - and even then only when desperate enough.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else