“Not smoke free and I have been bitten!” 1 of 5 stars

Royal Guest House 2
105 Shepherds Bush Rd, London W6 7LP, England   |
Ranked #613 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not smoke free and I have been bitten!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have just returned from a trip here. I booked it because of the proximity to the Hammersmith Apollo. Looked OK at first glance, but immediately there was a smell of smoke in the room, which I think was not from someone smoking in the room, but drifting in through the extractor fan. The shower was not clean. I was in room 60 and echo another reviewers observation, When I returned in the evening I went to open the window to get some air in the room, and get rid of the smell of smoke, when I discovered that it would not shut securely. Given that I am woman who was travelling on their own, having a window which does not shut, let alone lock is frightening. I was awake past midnight because of the noise of people coming and going.

This morning I woke to find I have been bitten, 8 times at least! I didn't stay for breakfast on the basis that if the bathroom and the bed were dirty, I didn't want any of the food coming out of the kitchen which I couldn't see.

Avoid it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Greek first
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Well, what can I say! This has to be the most appalling example of how to con visitors to London. I am in the process of reporting this hotel to the Trading Standards as they obviously do not actually have anyone staying at either of the hotels (Royal Guest House/Saba Hotel) where you "check in"!!!
We arrived only to be told there was a problem and would be staying at a "sister" hotel down the road....... sound familiar? Read all the other reviews and you'll see a recurring theme here....
Anyway as we were walking to the sister hotel (1/4 mile away!!) our "escort" was on his mobile phone. We then met another man on his mobile. The two guys exchanged room keys and we then proceeded to Number 45 (the name of the hotel!) located at (you've guesed it!) number 45 Shepherds Bush Road.
The only way I can describe the "room" is a cupboard that previously housed the vaccum cleaner - that big! The bed had no mattress cover, just a single sheet covering it. The curtains were hanging off the rail. The "hanging" area for your coat etc was sited over the kettle! The bathroom was so small you had to pull your pants down and get your toilet paper before reversing into the toilet, where you could actually clean your teeth in the basin at the same time! Compact is not an accurate word - it's tiny!
PLEASE DON'T STAY HERE!!!! THEY ARE CONNING YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You end up staying in a dump............................................

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at this hotel because of the price. For the price you will get a clean and warm room (as the temp outside was- 2 deg).The room was basic with double bed,TV,tea making facilities and shower and toilet.The downside was the small are provided for the toilet pan, and my room No 60 was located in the main throughfare of the hotel and up until 2230 I kept being disturbed with suitcases and people talking outside of my room. But for one night and paying such a low price for the room I would say it was good value for london.

Room Tip: If travelling solo avoid room No 60
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Two houses on the Shepherds Bush Road knocked into one. the Royal is studiedly non-chintzy and gives the impression of somewhere more low-rent than it is. person who met me was offhand but I was capable of sorting myself out. Room (single) was small but then this is the price of being a solo traveller very often - the small room, the tiny shower cubicle. There was a fridge in the room and a television. At least there is an ensuite bathroom - no need to venture into the corridor at night.
Breakfast was advertised as 'continental' but was cereal, coffee, scrambled eggs and toast.
The hotel is situated at one end of leafy Brook Green but also close to the noisy and smelly Hammersmith Broadway. However that means it is also close for public transport links and Hammersmith's lovely riverside walk, one of the most pleasant in London - surprisingly given the brawling chaos of the Broadway.
Back to the hotel - it is cheap so I wasn't expecting luxury, but what I got was reasonable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good location for Hammersmith apollo which was the reason for our stay. This however is the only positive we could think of. Arrived at 3 (check in was from 12), room was ready but had to clamber over dirty sheets, around ladders and buckets up narrow staircase to find cleaner still in room. Room was small and very basic, shower went from cold to scalding intermittently. Basic egg based breakfast. Not a 3star, certainly would rate it a competative 1 star! Long story short was perfect for location but next time we shall do our research and spend a few more pennies.

Room Tip: Would suggest a room in another hotel x
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

Booked the above, turned up & no rooms available- very rude manager took us to the nearby Maligne Guest House on Shepherds Bush Road, room dirty, bathroom mouldy, carpets stained. Other guest houses the company owned did not look any better along road- manager did not see a problem which shocked us. Manager refused to give a full refund very unhelpful. Very lucky to find a room in the nearby Her Majesty Hotel instead- what a complete joy, very clean, service fantastic, owner very helpful and for a similar price- why didn't we find this hotel earlier on a search engine.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Yeovil, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

on arrival we were told we were not staying here but at another place further up the road!
full english breakfast was either fried or scrambled eggs with toast!
i would not recommend this hotel

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Royal Guest House 2? Share your experiences!