“A real luxury bargain!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #276 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Herefordshire, UK
“A real luxury bargain!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

Booked this direct with the hotel. Paid £92 including VAT for B&B on Saturday night. Found it as secret hotel on last minute but their site wasn't working properly so booked direct instead after working out where it was!

It turned out as we hoped to be an absolute bargain!!

Room was plenty big enough. Two single beds locked together and made up into big king size. Very very comfy bed, lovely linen. Room had desk/dressing table with big mirror over chair to sit at. Also coffee table and an arm chair. Giant window which overlooked a tiny courtyard but really all you can see is the other sides of the hotel & another building - very very close. It's not a room with a view but at least it looked outside. Many of the rooms overlooked the atrium inside the hotel - I would not have liked that personally. It was totally quiet. We did not hear a noise all night. No people, no cars, nothing. Very peaceful and amazing considering we were in the middle of London.

Bathroom was small but not in an annoying way. It was well laid out and very modern - all black & white. Giant heated mirror plus lit up magifying mirror & powerful modern hairdryer. Shower was lovely and water really hot. Gorgeous Moulton Brown toiletries (8 bottles!).

Check in was friendly and fast. They happily stored our bag as we arrived in the morning and then went out for the day. Concierge was very friendly and helpful.

We did not eat dinner at the hotel but less than one minute walk away is Strada, Yo Sushi, Pizza Express & Cafe Uno (I think it was) so no need to pay hotel prices. We had lovely meal in Strada.

Continental breakfast was included and was lovely. My husband paid the extra £8 for full English and said it was first class. Waiting staff were efficient and polite and our tea, coffee, toast and full english were all served hot and quickly. Continental was buffet & whilst not an amazing spread it had all you could want.

My only niggles were: no opening window in the bedroom. I HATE this as I feel starved of air. This is the same in all rooms. The air con was quiet and effective but I find it very dehydrating however it was too warm when we turned it off. Secondly the tables at breakfast were a bit close together. They had plenty of spare so I would have prefered not to have been sat so close to people on my left and right. I should have asked to move as I'm sure they would have been fine about it.

Overall an absolute bargain. Right next to St Pauls, in a quiet location, near places to eat but not too busy and yet within easy tube or cab ride of anywhere you could want to go in London. Luxury hotel, very new, very modern, very clean rooms and efficient friendly staff. I can't find a reason to say it's not a 5 star hotel at London Travel Lodge/ Premier Inn Prices.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Surrey U.K
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

Stayed here mid week at the begining of October for one night. Like so many folks, I found it on lastminute.com.

As has been said before overall very good.

The Concierge was a good start greeting me with a beaming smile & opening the door for me.

My husband joined me later after I had checked in. I had asked for a higher floor away from lifts, & the room we had was fab. It was on 5th floor & faced the atrium which was fine by us & we had a great sleep. It was a generous size & had a sofa near the window. The furnishings were lovely & I really enjoyed luxuriating in all that our room had to offer from Molton Brown toiletries to a really good selection of teas, herbal teas & assorted coffees & a good selection of glossy mags to browse through whilst enjoying my camomile & honey tea.

The breakfast was good but it was evident that the staff wanted to clear away asap after closing at 10.30am.

I filled in one of the 'what you think of your stay' cards with much praise & mentioned a couple of minor issues. By the time I got home later that day, I had an email waiting for me from the hotel addressing the issues I had raised. I was impressed that they had taken the time to contact me so promptly.

I would stay again if I needed to be in the St Paul's area.

glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

We stayed here for a few nights in September and got an excellent rate of under £100 a night. The place is very nice and new and the location is stunning - right next to the awe-inspiring St Paul's Cathedral. The room was comfortable and there was one of those great showers that sprays you from every direction! Nice Molton Brown goodies in the bathroom. The only things that could have made our stay better would have been a window to the outside (our room overlooked the atrium which was lovely but meant no fresh air or natural light) and if the swimming pool had been ready. Small criticisms but I might have felt slightly dissapointed had I paid full price, which I didn't! I liked it, especially the location.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

I stayed in this hotel for a weekend with some of my clients.The restaurant food was not really nice,also the staff they hadnt really any clue about the menu & wine list.The rooms were quiet nice.The hole building and location at St.Pauls were lovely,but to not have a proper hotel is another thing.Customers have to know before their journey and stay that there is no,swimmingpool,no sauna,no Gym....
No body told us,or gave us any informations before our stay.But in generally the staff were nice.Especially when i stayed two nights in the bar.Two really excellent bar guys,gave us a nice service,really looked after us.One of them also gave us some explanations about the history our drinks,even heated the glass of one of my clients cognac which i have never seen before.One of them were really funny and we had nice chats with both of them.He was from slovakia and the other guy who gave us the nice explanations about our drinks were i think from germany(but didnt looked like).Resume was a nice hotel in an excellent environment but improvable building and two excellent Barpersonalities,which 5 star hotels need!!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

Like many here we got the £89 soft opening rate from Lastminute.com. We were very pleased with our room, although it had two large double beds instead of just one. The generous quantity of Molton Brown toiletries was most welcome. Our room had a side street view, not the wonderful view of St Paul's, but better than the inner-facing rooms. The only contact we had with staff was checking in and checking out, and this was efficiently done.
The hotel decor lacks imagination and is very much in the corporate business style. I would classify it as more 4 star than 5 star - there is no feeling of luxury.
So in conclusion, the rate we received was a bargain for a brand new centrally located hotel , but I do not think I would come here if I had to pay the full price.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

I booked this hotel through lastminute.com's top secret hotels, and managed to get this at £89 per night, which is an absolute steal for a 5 star hotel! The reason why it is so cheap is that they are still in their soft launch phase, having just opened in summer, and will only fully open in December.

This was evident as there was still some construction work and wiring work going on, although it was all very quiet so no disturbance. The hotel is very minimalist and bland inside, but a typical 5 star business hotel. Staff were ok, not overly friendly but not unkind either.

Roomwise, they have several with great views of St Paul's, but sadly they have many rooms with windows that face into the inner space of the hotel. The whole building is a rectangular donut with a hollow middle, and my room with the window facing inwards was very depressing as that meant it didn't get any natural light at all!

The rooms were quite spacious and cosy, and there was free wired and wi-fi internet. Some of the rooms had a unique shower cabinet with jacuzzi-like sprays, which was interesting!

Locationwise it is really central, so no questions about that, and convenient to many tube stations and buses.

Will I be willing to pay the £200+ normal rate in the future? Probably not, there are better 5 star hotels for that price in London. But for £89 a night, its a bargain!

Newton Abbot
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

I booked the hotel with Last Minute.com under Top Secret hotels, assuming 5* has got to be good and I wasn't disapppointed. When in London on business we are either booked in at The Hilton on Park Lane or The Mayfair and this was way better. The staff were just the friendliest . There were plenty of people on reception, which the others could learn from, concierges and doormen who sounded like they cared, domestic staff smiling and speaking as you walked by - everyone gave 5* treatment without the stand off attitude so common in English hotels. Great room, great food, great location. Will make it my first choice every time in future.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Been to Grange St. Paul's Hotel? Share your experiences!