“Didn't understand it !” 3 of 5 stars

Type: Art Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Contemporary art from unknown designers and artists from all over the world
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
“Didn't understand it !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Well I have to be honest, I'm probably the worst person to review an art gallery, but thought that it was about time I broadened my horizons and ventured in to see what it was all about, but left none the wiser.
I couldn't understand why a pile of logs in the middle of a room would be considered 'art' and was that sofa for resting my weary legs or just to look at, the latter I think. The art on the walls was being studied by several interested people but I just couldn't see what they were seeing.
The building and the grounds were lovely and centrally situated along the Kings Rd with plenty of coffee shops to choose from.
I think you will need to judge this gallery yourself and not be put off by my review because I really do not get art !

Visited October 2013

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“A gem of a find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I came across the gallery on my way across town and had an hour to spare. I was so pleased I stopped by, a beautiful set up, no queues or crowds, great artwork and helpful staff. I will make time to visit again

Boom, Belgium
216 attraction reviews
“just perfect as always”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Saatchi was great as always... The collection changes regularly and I always find something to my liking :-)

“Clouded day”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Art work was interesting and varied. However member of Staff was rude on arrival, and no back packs were allowed to be taken through the gallery (although handbags were.) This caused significant inconvience.

Bristol UK
24 attraction reviews
“A beautiful space”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is, I believe, the only gallery of modern art in the world that does not charge an entrance fee. Amazing!

Tucked behind Sloane Square it inhabits a beautiful green space and is housed in the sympathetically converted and extended Duke of York's HQ.

The gallery spaces are light, high and beautiful and provide a cool environment for the modern art on display. The current exhibition 'Paper' is in turns stunning and weird, but the sheer range and complexity of what can be done with paper must impress even the most cynical visitor. Go, if only to to see what Yuken Teruya does with paper bags!

PS A fine restaurant, Gallery Mess, adjoins it.