“Absolutely Do Not Stay Here” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Excelsior Hotel London

You added Excelsior Hotel London to your Saves list
Excelsior Hotel London
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   41 &42 Argyle Square, London WC1H 8AP, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #278 of 535 London B&B and Inns
Hong Kong
“Absolutely Do Not Stay Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

This 'hotel' was absolutely terrible. We are a party of 3 staying for a weekend (friday and saturday nights). Originally we had booked it due to the convenience of the location and since the shots of the hotel interior showed it to be nice and clean. We were also attracted to the free use of Wi-fi. But when we got there, not only did it take us a while to find the hotel (it did not have its own reception and you had to walk to another similar 'hotel' two doors down to register), we were disappointed to find that our room, in the basement, is not as nice as it is portrayed on the website. We were also shocked to find that the 'bathroom', if you can call it that, was a little bigger than a tuna can. You practically shower on top of the loo, and the water from the sink gave out a weird odour. We were also told by the reception that their Wi-fi had broken down, first time in 5 years, on the very day that we checked in. So we had to basically walk all the way to the shabby little hotel everytime we needed to use the internet, which was most of the time as we had work to do.

In addition, the area felt extremely unsafe. There were people with visibly intimidating attitudes hanging around outside the range of hotels on that dark little lane. This was obviously very unnerving as we held onto our laptops and walked across to use the internet. Breakfast was pretty shabby, not expected as they advertised it to be an ‘English Breakfast’, which last time I checked meant bacon/sausages/beans/whatnot, not a minimal amount of cereal and some coffee which taste closely resembled that of sewage water.
There were so many things that were wrong with this hotel. For £150 per night in a 'triple ensuite', I felt that what we got for our money is extremely unreasonable, especially with the lack of internet which, like I said before, was a major reason why we chose to stay here in the first place. When asked whether the Wi-fi is going to be fixed any time soon on the second day of our stay, the lady at reception merely said she didn’t know.
My advise is, do not stay in this hotel unless you cannot help it.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything that was there, the bathroom in particular
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
AlbionHouseHotel, Manager at Excelsior Hotel London, responded to this review, December 12, 2008
We are very sorry to hear that you didnt like your room that you were allocated.
We alwyas use the trip advisor website to find out how things are going on the other side ;as it were. We opened the hotel 2 years ago and are about to upgrade some of our facilites again in January 2009 when it is quieter so we can make these necessary changes with minimum fuss and disruption to our guests .
If you didnt like your room we can always move you to another one which you prefer but you really do have to let us know this on asap.
The wfi unfortunately that day was due to errors down to our service provider ( BT ! nonetheless ) however it is back online now .
Breakfast as advertised is continental only im afraid : We do not advertise a cooked breakfast at all; so im afraid you are mistaken.
This is something we could look at in future to changing though.
The area is full of hotels only so the only people in the area would be hotel staff or guests from the all the other hotel. We do get a mix of people staying in the area from young schook groups to business customers and tourists alike . But in any major city it is always better to excercise caution: We do have CCTV and 24 hour reception to ensure your safety .
We thank you for time taken to post your reviews . We are striving to improve our service offered every day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Pisa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

I am a frequent traveller for business purposes, visiting Travel Trade Fairs throughout whole Europe. Having a medium range budget i searched for a good bargain but with an acceptable service. This hotel was the worthest experience I ever had. Room size max. 3X3 meters, the whole "bathroom" was as big as my bath-tub at home with an shower directly in top over the W.C.. Breakfast was served in a small room downstairs, with some hard bread and tea under survival limit. Will certainly search another solution next time.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Service, Breakfast, Room-Size
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
AlbionHouseHotel, Manager at Excelsior Hotel London, responded to this review, December 15, 2008
Dear Sir

We can not do anything about the sizes of our rooms . We do know that our single rooms are small, however we only have 2 of these rooms in the entire hotel . As a frequent traveller you should really know that if you wanted a larger room then request a double room for single use . You will only pay £5 more for this type of room but you will defintely be more comfortable. Single rooms are much cheaper than all our other rooms because we know they are small however we do feel the price £60 does reflect this . In most cases if you are unhappy please let us know on the day so we can move you or upgrade you to a larger room.
We cant do anything about it after you have gone...so please tell us straight away so we can put it right.
Dundee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

I was booked in to stay for two nights and from the website the hotel and rooms looked lovely. It was only when I got there that I learned the Excelsior does not have it's own reception - you have to go to the Albion instead. At reception the man working was abrupt and rude and and looked pretty annoyed to have to get up and leave to show me my room. My room was in the basement and while clean enough it is obvious that the renovation work is shoddy and rushed. The toilet was essentially in a cupboard and was so small you couldn't close the door when in it! The bathroom had no lock on it and the room itself had a flimsy door and an ill fitted lock. As a woman travelling on my own I like to be able to lock my door from the inside but you couldn't do this.

There is no leaflet in the room to tell you about the hotel or it's facilities and when I wanted to find out about what time the cleaner comes round I realised there was no phone in the room and I had to phone from my mobile. When I did the man who answered was very aggressive and rude and hung up on me! So I went round to reception (having to leave my hotel and go outside) and had to ask in person. I don't think he was amused to have his TV watching interrupted.

The front door to the Excelsior also concerned me as it was just an internal style door with a large glass panel in it - certainly not enough to stop anyone from entering, and with no reception and no phone in my room it made me feel quite unsafe. I am not normally the type to feel unsafe or nervous but what with the lack of security, rude staff and general noise and environment the hotel was in I barely slept a wink. I would certainly not want any woman travelling on her own to use this hotel. Particulary when walking back to my hotel from dinner there were a number of men hanging about the square several of whom made comments/whistled as I went by which I found pretty intimidating.

• Liked — That I was only staying two nights!
  • Disliked — The feeling of not being remotley safe and secure in the accommodation
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

booked into the excelsior hotel for one night (thank god) turns out they put me in the hotel that you book into for the excelsior but it its acctually a different hotel. confused! i was. i had friends staying a couple of nights in the excelsior and they said it was noisey and the smell that came up from the bathroom drains was awful.
my hotel room was one small room no bathroom so i had to used the very tiny teeny weeny shared toilet and grim shower.
Not worth the money, and the bed was so uncomfortable that i got no sleep.
The only good thing is its location to eurostar!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — hotel
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
INDIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

Excelsor Hotel is an center place in london.Means heart of City.All tourists places are around kings cross i.e Excelsor hotel is located.At hotel there is WIFI.Good service,breakfast.Overall service is perfect.People who are going on vacation or London visit this is finest place to stay.From hotel Madamme Tussade,Buckingam Palace are near.At hotel you will find all information of tourists places.Rates are also very reasonable around 70 GBP per night.

Overall i enjoyed staying here most important thing you are located in hear of city.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PerthFamily5
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

We were a family of five staying in London overnight before catching the train from St. Pancras the following morning to Paris. Our family consists of 2 adults and 3 children aged 10,11 and 13 years. This hotel was in a great location for our needs. We shared a room in the basement with 2 double beds and 1 single bed. This hotel, although newly refurbished and clean, had the smallest double beds that I have ever slept in. This made for a very long night with fairly uncomfortable sleeping conditions even for two of my children that had to share a double bed. We would not recommend this hotel to anyone due to this reason.

• Liked — Location to St Pancras Station
  • Disliked — Small beds
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2008

By and large, a very positive experience. The staff was friendly and responsive. The complimentary breakfast was really good. It also helped that the hotel was very close to the King's Cross underground station. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Central London.

Stayed March 2008

Been to Excelsior Hotel London? Share your experiences!