“Excellent value for money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excelsior Hotel London

You added Excelsior Hotel London to your Saves list
Excelsior Hotel London
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   41 &42 Argyle Square, London WC1H 8AP, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #278 of 524 London B&B and Inns
York, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed 4 nights here in August 2012 with my girlfriend to attend a course. As the Olympics were just around the corner we were looking for a cheap budget hotel.
The Excelsior was excellent value for money, at roughly £30-40ish per night. The room was pretty basic but had everything we needed; comfy double bed, washbasin and sink, wardrobe, and above all, it was cleaned everyday. For some reason the TV was on top of the wardrobe, but oh well, we weren't in London to watch TV.
The shower was pretty much a wet room, and the toilet was separate to the shower. I also believed they are shared with another room on each floor, but this wasn't an issue and they were generally clean.
Management were helpful with dealing with back storage, which was secured in a basement room.
The breakfast was basic - eggs, toast, ham and coffee/tea, wasn't too bad but a little bit cramped. It is also located in another building just down the road.
Best thing about this place was the location, literally a 5 minute walk from King's Cross Station, excellent. Also it was relatively quiet. Our room overlooked a basketball pitch/park which wasn't too noisy.
Overall it is pretty basic, but decent if you're looking for a no-frills, clean, affordable and excellently located hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Cambridge, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I rarely stay in London (prefer to commute), and this small find near King's Cross work quite well when I needed a place to spend a couple of nights. The square is surprisingly quiet despite being just two blocks away from Euston Road's traffic. Décor is fresh and good, lots of lights and gizmos including iPhone charger, bed is comfortable. The room we had was tiny, bordering on claustrophobic - really just to drop in for the night, cannot think of spending any of the daytime there. We found the room terribly hot around Xmas time, even with the sash window wide open.
Staff is exceedingly friendly and helpful - little initial niggles were sorted immediately.
One negative thing - breakfast. The dining room is tiny (and in a different building across the square), and the so-called continental breakfast is pathetic. If you have to walk for it anyway, I suggest going elsewhere - even eateries at King's Cross and St Pancras offer better breakfast options pretty much for the same price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stumbled on this hotel when I needed to stay in london for a couple of days for work. The exterior of the hotel took my eye over the other hotels with in the area, I could see they had recently refurbished.
The look of this hotel gave me an impression that it was going to be more expensive than it was. So I was very surprised that it was the same price as the cheaper looking budget hotels in the area.
I booked a double bed room with en-suite. You can see that this hotel has had a complete refurb, my room had a new bed, new flooring & even the bathroom was perfectly finished. The room was very clean. I have stopped in a lot of hotels in london & would come back to this one.
Over all good value for your money & stylish.

• Stayed December 2012
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Excelsior during the first week of December. I come to London every year to do my Christmas shopping and the hotel was perfectly suited for all my needs. The location is excelent, just a stones throw away from Kings cross station and the underground. The hotel was charming, tastefully decorated, clean and comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful. Perfect for an affordable weekend in town. I will definately be back next year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

A stones through from Kings cross , this little square has really improved in recent years. This hotel looks out on the square in keeping with its original character. The bed was excellent and with the big original shutters on the window it was pitch black !! great for a good nights sleep. The service was great and we really enjoyed out stay. the tube is a minute away as is St pancras so a great position . All in all a pleasant surprise . I think this is a family run business and they do seem to care about their customers. The only thing missing is a dining room , however they tell me one is coming next year. Good service , cleanliness and value for money !!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My partner and I were looking for a relatively inexpensive, comfortable and well located hotel for a weekend escape from the kids! ( We didn't abandon them, they were at my mums!)
The hotel has been completely refurbished since my last visit, redecorated, with new showers.
The rooms are not big, but the new, bigger, kingsize beds (my only gripe last time) which are an option, more than compensate.
The fact that everything we wanted to do and see is within walking distance is also a massive plus. It is literally across the road from Kings Cross station.
My mum and dad are coming down in January, on our recommendation.

Room Tip: Ask for a double room with a king size bed, for a good night!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We didn't expect much, well aware you get what you pay for. However, there is basic and then there is poor...

We were travelling as a group. Me and my wife and another two. We had booked two doubles. Needless to say, we drew the short straw.

Our room was on the top floor, no 25. Problems:

1. The hotel apparently prides itself on the hand made English beds. Our bed was a glorified camp bed pushed under an old single glaze window. It was not 'pocket sprung' as the hotel literature would have you believe. It was appalling.

2. The room was dirty. Dust, hair and all sorts where it had not been thoroughly cleaned.

3. Incredibly noisy. No sound proofing at all.

4. If you are a couple staying in the room you can not get to one side of the bed without climbing over the other person - as above, it's jammed under a window in the eave.

5. The worst - There was something obviouisly wrong with the toilet. The room stank of a combination of stale smoke and sewerage. Absolutely foul.

When we brought the above to receptions attention he did not care. Even when we pointed out the clear difference between our room and the other in our group (which did have a proper bed!!!). I asked to speak to the manager but was not allowed. He was clearly used to dealing with complaints and would not entertain any discount (probably why you must pay in advance!)

I can't comment on breakfast as we got out as soon as we could. We did hear it was a 'strange' experience though, confirmed by other reviews!

In summary, don't stay here. Appaling.

• Stayed December 2012
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Excelsior Hotel London, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Sir

Thanks for your review; we are listening to our customers and trying to imporove wherver possible.

I think the problem here was that you booked 2 identical rooms and your friends got a large double room with King Sized bed and you got one of our smaller doubles. Your freinds were very happy and wrote a very complenteray review . You both received the same level of service .However the two reviews are completely contrasting.
I do understand that you were not happy and I apoliogse for that .After reading this review I have now changed the bed in room 25 from a small double bed to a much larger double bed. I have also reconfigured the room lay out . I am listening to my guests and am acting accordingly.

We pride oursleves on cleanliness ; if there is anything not upto standard please infimr us immediately and we will put it right. We have 24 hr staff to help you with anything you need.

Thanks for your review

Patrick
Manager

Been to Excelsior Hotel London? Share your experiences!