“Acceptable room, shame about lack of hotel facilities” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Excelsior Hotel London

You added Excelsior Hotel London to your Saves list
Excelsior Hotel London
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   41 &42 Argyle Square, London WC1H 8AP, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #278 of 535 London B&B and Inns
southampton
“Acceptable room, shame about lack of hotel facilities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I had been booked to stay in the excelsior hotel for 3 nights in a single room in order to attend a conference. The location is good - approx 100 yards down a side road from Kings Cross and St Pancras station and hotel reasonably priced. I arrived about 8.30pm and initially couldn't get into the hotel - then I saw that the reception was located in the Melville hotel - 2 doors down. The receptionist checked me in efficiently and then showed me back to the Excelsior hotel door, and which keys to use to access the hotel. My room was on the second floor - and I had to carry my luggage up the stairs as no lift. The room appeared to be recently decorated and was very clean. I have never stayed in a single room (and therefore nothing to compare it with) but it was pretty small - approx 6ft 6" by 10ft, Good facilities - tea/coffee facilites, hairdryer, plenty of power points, clock radio with ipod charger, 2 good size mirrors, ceiling fan, safe, wardrobe with several hangers, 2 pillows, a comfy bed, and good lighting, TV. The bathroom(more of a wet room) was tiny but functional, and very clean. Showergel and liquid soap was provided in dispensers - but it was quite a challenge to dry yourself in the restrictive space. One thing missing was a phone to reception.
After a good nights sleep I made my way back to the reception area of the Melville hotel as requested to for breakfast. However I was then shown down (some steep narrow stairs) to a basement breakfast room in a 3rd hotel in the chain - the Albion house hotel. There was a buffet style help yourself continental breakfast - which was adequate.
Overall the room was nice - small but perfectly formed but I would think twice before staying here again for a couple of reasons. Firstly I found it somewhat concerning that I didn't have a phone to reception - particularly as it was 2 doors down in a separate hotel. Secondly having to go to another hotel for breakfast is not really acceptable ( I was lucky with the weather and it didn't rain!) As the group of hotels is being refurbished I'm not sure if this is a temporary arrangement. Would not recommend to anyone with mobility problems.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Very reasonably priced hotel in central London. King's Cross area in general is a great hub for tube and getting about east to west and north to south. Hotel is 2mins from tube but not noisy as situated on a lovely old square. Staff were so friendly and helpful. Rooms were stylish, clean and while not overly spacious, didn't feel cramped either - alot like the boutique hotels. We'll definitely be recommending to our friends and family and be back ourselves.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Excelsior Hotel London, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Sir Madam

Thank you so much for the positive feedback.

It means a lot to us the we are on the right the right track and doing well ! It gives us a great deal of encouragemnt and satisfaction to know that you had a great stay with us.

We strive to offer value for money and good comfortable accomodation

Thanks for your review , and you are most welcome to come back anytime.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

nothing spectacular, but would say its value for money, I stayed in a basic room with seperate showers that are shared, but the the toilet and shower was clean.

For me, its the customer service that would attract me to use this hotel again, the receptionist was extremely helpful.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest

Thanks for your feedback and positive comments

We are glad you enjoyed your stay

We hope to keep all of our customers happy and we enjoy providing great hospitality.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, it was basic room, bathroom was small (but I'm not an average sized man so don't want to moan too much) but the room and bathroom was clean which is very important for me. The receptionist also made up for the few shortcomings by being extremely helpful. I enjoyed my stay and would use this hotel again.

Dear Guest

Our receptionists all enjoy looking after our guests . We are delighted that you chose our hotel and you are most welcome anytime you wish to return.

Thanks for your feedback

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I checked into the Excelsior hotel, to be honest I wasn't expecting much due to my low budget. Firstly I was surprised at how clean the reception area looked, secondly the friendly and helpful staff, as I'm used to meeting half asleep receptionists at the desk.

My room was clean and a decent size, shower and toilet was small but clean. overall I had a pleasant stay.

Dear Guest

Thanks for your great review

We take encouragement from these words and are focused on dleivering the best expereince that we possible can

Our recpetionits are well stocked with energy drinks so they should be ready to help you at any time of the night .

Thanks again for your review

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

I had an excellent stay . The rooms were clean and beds were comfortable . The bathroom was small but had everything you needed . The management has paid great attention to details and I was happy with my choice . Customer service from front desk was excellent .
I would recommend this hotel .

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest

Thanks for your great feedback

We have though about our beds a lot and we have upgraded most of our rooms to have 1500 pocket spring matresses. We think that a great nighs sleep is key to a great stay .

All our staff are on hand to help 24 hrs day

Austin,TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The only reason to consider this place is the price... and there are alternatives. I've stayed in a dozen or so hotels around London, and this one comes in dead last. While it's convenient to be close to a tube station (King's Cross), the neighborhood is not great. I definitely would not bring my family here for the fear of getting mugged or mixing with street violence. Excelsior is not a B&B in the traditional sense, but a low-rent inn/motel next to a city park with basketball court. I booked for two nights, but left after one (kicking myself for not doing more research). The entire building smelled like burning incense. And after one day, my entire collection of clothes in my suitcase smelled like incense... nasty. The safe didn't even work, so I couldn't store passport or anything in there. For the same price, I was able to get a nice room at Sofitel Heathrow (5-star) with free wifi, with the caveat that I had to commute (Heathrow Express to Paddington $$ and tube) or take tube from Heathrow on Picadilly line (45 mins). I used to commuting, so I was very happy with the tradeoff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Excelsior Hotel London, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Guest

Its very difficult to respond to this as there is very little that you have commented on your accomodation . A general comment on the area which in fact is totally wrong. Argyle Square is a private sqaure in Kings Cross with a communal garden and sports playground for children. We are opposite an International train station and in a conservation area of central London.

I have no idea where you have smelt insense from but the hotel is very clean and we focus on cleanlinees a great deal.

The safes all work : they are just left locked . We can open it for you and then you can set your own pin number for it. Guests tend to lock the safes on check out and the chamber maids do not have the keys to open it. Master keys are kept locked in the mangers office. Just ask and we can open it for you.

May be we are not your " cup of tea " but we have a good regular clientele and our hotel offers great value for money with a excellent location.

It would be better to contact the hotel directly or even let us know your thoughts when you check in so we can do something about it immediately . We are here to help our cutomers day and night.

Many thanks

Manager

Been to Excelsior Hotel London? Share your experiences!