“fine for the price.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Excelsior Hotel London

You added Excelsior Hotel London to your Saves list
Excelsior Hotel London
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   41 &42 Argyle Square, London WC1H 8AP, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #281 of 535 London B&B and Inns
“fine for the price.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

nothing spectacular, but would say its value for money, I stayed in a basic room with seperate showers that are shared, but the the toilet and shower was clean.

For me, its the customer service that would attract me to use this hotel again, the receptionist was extremely helpful.

• Stayed September 2012
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Excelsior Hotel London, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Guest

Thanks for your feedback and positive comments

We are glad you enjoyed your stay

We hope to keep all of our customers happy and we enjoy providing great hospitality.

Patrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, it was basic room, bathroom was small (but I'm not an average sized man so don't want to moan too much) but the room and bathroom was clean which is very important for me. The receptionist also made up for the few shortcomings by being extremely helpful. I enjoyed my stay and would use this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Our receptionists all enjoy looking after our guests . We are delighted that you chose our hotel and you are most welcome anytime you wish to return.

Thanks for your feedback

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I checked into the Excelsior hotel, to be honest I wasn't expecting much due to my low budget. Firstly I was surprised at how clean the reception area looked, secondly the friendly and helpful staff, as I'm used to meeting half asleep receptionists at the desk.

My room was clean and a decent size, shower and toilet was small but clean. overall I had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thanks for your great review

We take encouragement from these words and are focused on dleivering the best expereince that we possible can

Our recpetionits are well stocked with energy drinks so they should be ready to help you at any time of the night .

Thanks again for your review

Regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

I had an excellent stay . The rooms were clean and beds were comfortable . The bathroom was small but had everything you needed . The management has paid great attention to details and I was happy with my choice . Customer service from front desk was excellent .
I would recommend this hotel .

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest

Thanks for your great feedback

We have though about our beds a lot and we have upgraded most of our rooms to have 1500 pocket spring matresses. We think that a great nighs sleep is key to a great stay .

All our staff are on hand to help 24 hrs day

Regards

Austin,TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The only reason to consider this place is the price... and there are alternatives. I've stayed in a dozen or so hotels around London, and this one comes in dead last. While it's convenient to be close to a tube station (King's Cross), the neighborhood is not great. I definitely would not bring my family here for the fear of getting mugged or mixing with street violence. Excelsior is not a B&B in the traditional sense, but a low-rent inn/motel next to a city park with basketball court. I booked for two nights, but left after one (kicking myself for not doing more research). The entire building smelled like burning incense. And after one day, my entire collection of clothes in my suitcase smelled like incense... nasty. The safe didn't even work, so I couldn't store passport or anything in there. For the same price, I was able to get a nice room at Sofitel Heathrow (5-star) with free wifi, with the caveat that I had to commute (Heathrow Express to Paddington $$ and tube) or take tube from Heathrow on Picadilly line (45 mins). I used to commuting, so I was very happy with the tradeoff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Excelsior Hotel London, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Guest

Its very difficult to respond to this as there is very little that you have commented on your accomodation . A general comment on the area which in fact is totally wrong. Argyle Square is a private sqaure in Kings Cross with a communal garden and sports playground for children. We are opposite an International train station and in a conservation area of central London.

I have no idea where you have smelt insense from but the hotel is very clean and we focus on cleanlinees a great deal.

The safes all work : they are just left locked . We can open it for you and then you can set your own pin number for it. Guests tend to lock the safes on check out and the chamber maids do not have the keys to open it. Master keys are kept locked in the mangers office. Just ask and we can open it for you.

May be we are not your " cup of tea " but we have a good regular clientele and our hotel offers great value for money with a excellent location.

It would be better to contact the hotel directly or even let us know your thoughts when you check in so we can do something about it immediately . We are here to help our cutomers day and night.

Many thanks

Manager
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

It seems it is a common thing to do among cheap hotels from London Kings Cross area to double charge the room, I booked a double room on their website www.excelsiorhotel.co.uk for only one night, taking advantage of the prepaid discount of £8.00. When I showed up for the check-in at the Melville Hotel where the reception with my printed booking receipt, they told me they could not see the booking, while I have called them twice to be sure my room was booked. So they told me I had to pay agai, which I did asking that they refund me if they debited me twice. Fortunately for me I paid by card, so I can see two lines on my account summary stating Excelsior Hotel. Now as soon as I saw this double charging, I wrote them an email that they left without answer, but I am going to take legal action, filing a complaint and claiming a refund.
Thank you not Excelsior Hotel and the King's Cross Hotels Group.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, don't book with them, they will double charge the room claiming they ca...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

We do not scam people and we are legitimate operation with many happy customers

You were not charged twice is all I can say ! You stayed two nights and were charged once transaction for the 1st night and a second transaction for the second night.

If you add them both up then it comes to the same total . Perhaps use a calculator next time

Many thanks

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

I booked an apartment in this hotel for me and my two teenage children, having looked at the photos on laterooms.com.

We were directed from what looks like a recently refurb'd Excelsior Hotel back to the Melville by a sign in the window. The receptionist was actually excellent and really helpful, but seemed slightly embarrassed when he led us back out onto the square, to yet another but much less celubrious looking property. We were shown to our apartment which was like a dingy bedsit that had recently been sprayed with Febreze!
The floors and walls were filthy. The bathroom was poor and decrepit and the sofa bed (the addition of which swung my decision to book!) was broken, stank and was unusable.
Sufficed to say that once the Febreze smell lifted there remained a smell of cigarettes and who knows what.
My children's dream break was shattered! Having taken a shower with water up to my ankles as the drain seemed somewhat restricted we decided to move to a different hotel.
We informed the receptionist and were promised a phone call from the owner. This never materialised and left me feeling pretty dismayed!!!
Please don't book the apartment option!!

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Excelsior Hotel London? Share your experiences!