“Scam! Double charge the room!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Excelsior Hotel London

You added Excelsior Hotel London to your Saves list
Excelsior Hotel London
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   41 &42 Argyle Square, London WC1H 8AP, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #279 of 524 London B&B and Inns
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
“Scam! Double charge the room!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

It seems it is a common thing to do among cheap hotels from London Kings Cross area to double charge the room, I booked a double room on their website www.excelsiorhotel.co.uk for only one night, taking advantage of the prepaid discount of £8.00. When I showed up for the check-in at the Melville Hotel where the reception with my printed booking receipt, they told me they could not see the booking, while I have called them twice to be sure my room was booked. So they told me I had to pay agai, which I did asking that they refund me if they debited me twice. Fortunately for me I paid by card, so I can see two lines on my account summary stating Excelsior Hotel. Now as soon as I saw this double charging, I wrote them an email that they left without answer, but I am going to take legal action, filing a complaint and claiming a refund.
Thank you not Excelsior Hotel and the King's Cross Hotels Group.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, don't book with them, they will double charge the room claiming they ca...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Excelsior Hotel London, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Guest

We do not scam people and we are legitimate operation with many happy customers

You were not charged twice is all I can say ! You stayed two nights and were charged once transaction for the 1st night and a second transaction for the second night.

If you add them both up then it comes to the same total . Perhaps use a calculator next time

Patrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

I booked an apartment in this hotel for me and my two teenage children, having looked at the photos on laterooms.com.

We were directed from what looks like a recently refurb'd Excelsior Hotel back to the Melville by a sign in the window. The receptionist was actually excellent and really helpful, but seemed slightly embarrassed when he led us back out onto the square, to yet another but much less celubrious looking property. We were shown to our apartment which was like a dingy bedsit that had recently been sprayed with Febreze!
The floors and walls were filthy. The bathroom was poor and decrepit and the sofa bed (the addition of which swung my decision to book!) was broken, stank and was unusable.
Sufficed to say that once the Febreze smell lifted there remained a smell of cigarettes and who knows what.
My children's dream break was shattered! Having taken a shower with water up to my ankles as the drain seemed somewhat restricted we decided to move to a different hotel.
We informed the receptionist and were promised a phone call from the owner. This never materialised and left me feeling pretty dismayed!!!
Please don't book the apartment option!!

• Stayed August 2012
Manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

The quality of this place (would never name it hotel) is unacceptable by any standards.
Brakefast - total joke, felt sorry for the polite staff that had to deal with guests looks,comments and confusion. Once we walked in we couldn't belive that we are being expected to eat (egg, ham, white toast and squashed pastry) in such a conditions!!!!!!!!!!!Walked out and ate in cafe nearby.
Room - no comment :( Shabby. Bed collapsed twice, mattress had at least 20 years, no decent furniture, TV not working, window did not shut securley. Sink in the room was mentioned nowhere - photos from the website do not really corespond to what we've encountered on our arrival.
Bathroom, rather a shower shead - no comment:(
Overall - do not ruin your London trip by staying here!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Excelsior Hotel London, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Sir

Thanks for your review

Breakfast is £3.99 per person and you can eat as much as you like . We have a varied menu but we do not serve a cooked breakfast.

You booked a Budget Basic room with shared facilites for £50 per night for 2 people and taxes inlcuded . If you are on a tight budget then this option is our cheapest availalbe and does serve a function. We only have 5 rooms like this . The rest of the hotel rooms have en suite bathrooms and have been refurbished to a good standard and are shown on our website . We have 20 en suite bedrooms and these are our best rooms. These are excellent value for money and are from £80- £100 per night tax included .

I would advise most people to book our en suite rooms as they are a much better standard . The rooms with shared bathrooms suit only extremely limited budget travellers and student travellers.

Thanks for your e mail

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We had early check in free of charge, the hotel staff were extremely helpful and friendly. I had sprained my ankle and requested a couple of extra pillows to elevate my foot not only were they delivered to our room all most instantly, but 5 mins later the member of staff on duty that evening had brought some nurofen up to the room to help with the pain. Very thoughtful and considerate. Breakfast was good and a good choice. Check out was quick and easy. The only thing I would criticise is that our room was next to she shared toilet and it was loud hearing people go in and out and it was rather smelly. I would definitely upgrade my room next time. Very good location.

Room Tip: Request a room that is not next to the toilet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Excelsior Hotel London, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review ; we are working hard to provide the best service possible to all our guests

Im glad the Nurofen helped ! We always have a " supply " of these to help with sore heads and sprained ankles

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Don't be misled by other comments about this hotel being "small". This is a Bed n Breakfast. What do you expect? Large rooms like those in 5 star hotels? Reviews have to be objective and fair. Yes, the rooms are small. But with an excellent location and excellent service, the price I paid was worth it. Steps away from Kings Cross and St Pancras stations. The rceptionist Faisal was extremely kind and helpful. He helped me change into another room when I told him that my room was noisy. No questions asked. For £99, this hotel is hard to beat.
Request for a top floor room. It's more spacious. There's no elevator but the climb was worth it.

• Stayed June 2012
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Excelsior Hotel London, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Guest

Thanks for your encouraging review and frank comments

It seems you understand about travel and in particular London and its buildings .

We are focused on service and giving good value for money

We are always listening and learning from our customers experiences .

Thanks again

Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in April 2012 for just 1 night. At that time we stayed in the base floor of the hotel.

The first problem of the hotel was that it had no lift, so it was quite hard for us to move our luggages up on the day of checking out.

Next, the hotel room was small. In fact, the hotel room was designed into three main areas: a sleeping area, a bathroom and a separate toilet. The sleeping area was too small that after opening 2 luggages, it had completely no space for passing through. And the room had only got two hangers for you to hang the jacket up, which I thought was too few for 2 travellers.

And the most uncomfortable thing was about the bed. I must say, the bed sheet was clean in which there was no spot found on the sheet. However, the bed cover looked very old and made you feel very uncomfortable to use. And also unluckily, the spring of our bed was not in good condition too that it popped out and made us not sleeping well.

However, there were some good thing about this hotel too, such as its closeness to the king's cross station, and also free wifi was provided inside the room.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Excelsior Hotel London, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear Sir

Thanks for your review and the time taken to write about your stay.

We are a Grade 2 listed building in central London. We are therfor restricted in that we are not allowed to install a lift in our building.

This should not be an ipmpostion as we can help you with bags if you need it our staff are always on hand to help you with this .

Our rooms are small but they do have everything you need for a comfortable stay. With our proximity to central London and price we are very competitive however there is always a trade off with size of rooms .

We are on hand tohelp you with anything you need 24 hrs a day so please do ask if you need something and we will provide it for you straight away.

The bed you slept in has a 1000 pocket sprung orthopaedic matreess and is in excellent condition . I slept in the room last nigt myself to test it out and it was very comfortable .

Thanks for your e mail ; rest assured we are listening to our customers always looking to improve.

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Stayed here from 11th May - 14th May, with a 2 years old daughter and a wife who having a problem with her broken leg (using pneumatic walker), the staff were very friendly (Patrick and his guys), very very friendly and helpful too! the location is fantastic, having a good comfort sleep though, the security were good and I know this will not the last time we are here, see you again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review and positive feedback

Its good to know that our work and service is up to the mark

We are always looking to improve on area of the hotel and the service we offer

It was a pleaseure having you and your family stay with us.

Manager

Been to Excelsior Hotel London? Share your experiences!